[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB as Flex - Where to draft?

Billy Rohr

10-team, snake, CBS scoring (1pt per 25yds for QB), non-PPR. I pick 10 & 11.

Active roster is QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, DST, K, Flex (can be WR, RB, or QB)

I've never seen QB's as a flex option. How should this affect my draft strategy?

With only 2 active WR and QBs avaialble to flex, shouldn't I move all QB's up higher, since a 2d QB is now just as valuable as a 2d WR or 2d RB?

Any reason I would NOT want a QB @ Flex?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

I played about 50 leagues in the last 5 years that had the a QB flex as an option. We played 3 WR's though instead of 2 and were 12 team leagues.

Here is approx where the QB's went last year in my big money leagues. (Each ranged from $500 to $1,000)

I tell you the amount so you know the people drafting will have taken it seriously so you can gauge from it.

Draft 1

Brady 6, P-Manning 12, Romo 16, Brees 24 (total of 9 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 22 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

Draft 2

Brady 7, Brees 11, Romo 13, P-Manning 15 (total 7 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 17 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

Draft 3

Brady 5, Brees 11, Romo 18, P-Manning 20 (6 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 18 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

Draft 4

Brady 9, P-Manning 12, Romo 13, Brees 20 (8 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 18 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

Draft 5

Brady 10, Brees 15, Romo 17, P-Manning 20 (5 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 17 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

Draft 6

Brady 7, Romo 9, P-Manning 13, Brees 15 (6 QB's in 1st 4 rounds) 19 QB's in 1st 8 rounds

This should give you an idea of what to expect.

I think people will be shy in your 10 man league of taking them in the 1st round except maybe at the end 8-10 range.

Someone will most likely get cute and go Brees/Brady at the turn.

As you can see last year it was consistent the top 4 QB's went in the 1st 2 rounds in all drafts.

I think you can expect the big 3 to go in the 1st 2 rounds in your draft (Brees, Brady, Manning)

Manning has a shot to fall to the 3rd maybe.

Hope this helped.

In that kind of setup, QB/QB is a viable strategy if you can get two of Brady/Brees/Manning. If only one is available, then I'd see whaty Rbs were there and weight the options between the RB and a Warner/Rodgers type.

Eitehr way, it's a 10 team league with shallow WR lineups, you'll have depth.

Edited by Big Country

Thanks to all of you - this is excellent food for thought. Manning will be kept, but if Brees & Brady fall to 10 & 11, that would be interesting.

I should have mentioned I already have Matt Ryan as a 12th round keeper. Based on your comments, perhaps QB/WR or QB/RB if Brees or Brady slip seems to be reasonable.

Thanks to all of you - this is excellent food for thought. Manning will be kept, but if Brees & Brady fall to 10 & 11, that would be interesting.

I should have mentioned I already have Matt Ryan as a 12th round keeper. Based on your comments, perhaps QB/WR or QB/RB if Brees or Brady slip seems to be reasonable.

I can see few scenarios given your league setup (shallow required WRs, QB as a flex, non-PPR) that would have me go WR early. Given you have Ryan already, your first two picks should be QB/RB or RB/RB most likely, and if both Brady and Brees are there, take them and look to trade Ryan, unless the avasilable RB talent is also high quality, IMO.

Edited by Big Country