[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why are we doing this?

Perchoutofwater

It makes sense *if* we're making a better interest rate on the loan to Brasil then we're paying on our debt to China.

As far as the off shore drilling issue that's a matter of state's rights, which you typically support.

ETA: apparently there is a FEDERAL ban, in addition to various state-level prohibitions. I actually didn't realize the first President Bush signed an executive order in 1990 banning coastal oil exploration. Nevertheless, even if you lifted the Congressional ban state's would still get say in what happened within waters under their jurisdiction. What is it, five miles out?

ETA2: Congress imposed the drilling moratorium in 1981 and has extended it each year since, by prohibiting the Interior Department from spending money on offshore oil or gas leases in virtually all coastal waters outside the western Gulf of Mexico and in some areas off Alaska. President George H.W. Bush issued a parallel executive drilling ban in 1990, which was extended by President Clinton and then by the current president until 2012.

So maybe private industry can drill offshore, just not with money from the Dept. of the Interior?

Edited by yo mama

It makes sense *if* we're making a better interest rate on the loan to Brasil then we're paying on our debt to China.

As far as the off shore drilling issue that's a matter of state's rights, which you typically support.

Are you sure that it's the states that aren't allowing drilling on the east and west coasts? If that is true, then I would support it. Of course I'd also support an additional sales tax on all oil shipped to coastal states that do not border the Gulf of Mexico, if it is those states that are driving up the cost of oil.

Are you sure that it's the states that aren't allowing drilling on the east and west coasts? If that is true, then I would support it. Of course I'd also support an additional sales tax on all oil shipped to coastal states that do not border the Gulf of Mexico, if it is those states that are driving up the cost of oil.

Read my "ETA" above. To my surprise, Bush, Sr. put a federal ban on additional offshore exploration in 1990. Jeb Bush opposed drilling off the Florida coast on a state level, too. Who knew Republicans were such admirable environmentalists?

Edited by yo mama

Read my "ETA" above. To my surprise, Bush, Sr. put a federal ban on additional offshore exploration in 1990. Jeb Bush opposed drilling off the Florida coast on a state level, too. Who knew Republicans were such admirable environmentalists?

Well actually The Congressional moratorium was first enacted in 1982, and has been renewed every year since. It prohibits oil and gas leasing on most of the outer continental shelf, 3 miles to 200 miles offshore. Since 1990, it has been supplemented by the first President Bush’s executive order, which directed the Interior Department not to conduct offshore leasing or preleasing activity in areas covered by the legislative ban until 2000. In 1998, President Bill Clinton extended the offshore leasing prohibition until 2012.

You have to also look at where oil prices were in 1990. Bush 41 was concerned with what falling oil prices would do to the Mexican economy and how that would possibly increase illegal immigration. I can understand why he would sign an executive order then. Circumstances have changed greatly since then, and I have been critical of Jeb for his continued support of the ban.

ETA2: Congress imposed the drilling moratorium in 1981 and has extended it each year since, by prohibiting the Interior Department from spending money on offshore oil or gas leases in virtually all coastal waters outside the western Gulf of Mexico and in some areas off Alaska. President George H.W. Bush issued a parallel executive drilling ban in 1990, which was extended by President Clinton and then by the current president until 2012.

So maybe private industry can drill offshore, just not with money from the Dept. of the Interior?

I may be wrong, but I believe that all off shore waters outside of 3 miles but within 200 miles of our shores are considered US national waters and have to be leased from the US. If the government isn't willing to fund the administration of granting these leases then it is the same thing as saying you can't drill isn't it?

It would be silly to have states decide whether to drill offshore or not. What happens when TX decides to drill, spills millions of gallons of oil that then wreck western Florida's coastline? Florida will sue and soon there'll be several lawsuits flying around as parts of the country sue other parts for billions.

Like defense, this shouldn't be a states issue, IMO.

I think it has more to do with the Bush's close business ties with the Saudi royal family and all the oil business we give them . . .

• 2 weeks later...