[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants WR update

matt770

Looks like Smith and Hixon are a lock for the first two receiving slots as expected, with the battle for #3 being between Manningham and Moss. The buzz is that Manningham is the best bet to be that guy who steps up and gets more and more looks as the season progresses. This is from a live chat with Giants beat writer Ralph Vacchiano yesterday:

Mario is fast. And he can play, too. And not only that, I think the Giants think he can be a big weapon. He didn't do much statistically in the preseason opener, but it's telling to me that they threw to him twice early. Once he caught a 13-yard pass (and made a nice catch on it) that was negated by a penalty. And not long after David Carr came in at QB he tried to hit Manningham in the end zone on a deep post, but Manningham couldn't quite get to the ball. That says the quarterbacks trust him and that he was a significant part of their game plan and that he's got a chance to really move up the depth chart. A lot of smarter people than me think it's a lock that he'll pass Moss and become at least the No. 3 receiver by the time the season opens. Maybe they're right.

Later he was asked to take the over/under on Hakeem Nicks catching 20 balls and 2 TDs this year and he took the under. This is based on Nicks' performance in preseason thus far and the history of Giants rookie WRs sucking it up.

Ramses Barden has looked decent at times but it looks like he and Nicks will be buried at #5 and #6 on the depth chart.

I would definitely take a hard look at Manningham in a deep league where I could spare a roster spot to see if he does break out as people are predicting.

All that said, Kevin Boss will be the Giants' leading receiver this year. :wacko:

Boss will lead in rec yds, barden will lead in Rec TDs, and Mario will be the #3 WR and Moss will either just make the roster or be cut. We have to many small WR. Hicks will have to wait until next year. Barden has a chance of starting or playing more in the 2nd half of the season.

those are my predictions.

One more tidbit, I've been hearing this a lot and it surprised me...

It’s possible, now that we’re nearing the end of camp that Domenik Hixon has been the best receiver here this summer. He’s certainly been the most consistent. And he’s been the best at getting open. He did it again today, finding a big seam between CB Kevin Dockery and S Michael Johnson to catch a deep pass from Eli Manning.