[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plaxico Burress: Pleads Guilty....

keggerz

2 yrs in the can

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/...rss&emc=rss

Updated, 10:16 a.m. | Plaxico Burress, the former Giants receiver, pleaded guilty on Thursday morning in his weapons-possession case in a deal with Manhattan prosecutors that will send him to prison for two years.
Edited by keggerz

good for him. He needs a dose of reality. He should've took a deal earlier he probably could of gotten 1 yr. with 5yrs probation. He thought he was above the law and he was some kind of hero that he would just get a slap on the wrist. His attitude got him the extra yr.

Or taking the 9-month plea they reportedly offered some time ago before they had him totally bent over :wacko:

i could be wrong but I think it was the same 24 months that he previously turned down...so in a way he was fortunate that is all the time he got on this plea deal

I imagine that time will be shortened for good behavior or the like. But He's been made a scapegoat here. Two years for carrying a handgun? Is that what every other mugger, etc. gets in NYC? No. He broke the law and should have to pay but two years? He had zero criminal intent. He wasn't going to shoot a rival gang member or hold up a liquor store. He probably just thought it made him cool or he was fearing for his life for some reason (I doubt it but those are the only two reasons I can imagine).

The streets are no safer with him locked up, the public just gets to pay for his room and board. He was stupid for carrying the gun and the stupidity just continues to spew from this event IMO.

I imagine that time will be shortened for good behavior or the like. But He's been made a scapegoat here. Two years for carrying a handgun? Is that what every other mugger, etc. gets in NYC? No. He broke the law and should have to pay but two years? He had zero criminal intent. He wasn't going to shoot a rival gang member or hold up a liquor store. He probably just thought it made him cool or he was fearing for his life for some reason (I doubt it but those are the only two reasons I can imagine).

The streets are no safer with him locked up, the public just gets to pay for his room and board. He was stupid for carrying the gun and the stupidity just continues to spew from this event IMO.

+1

( and not just because I own him in two dynasty leagues )

+1...what would have been the outcome had it been a regular joe or a fireman from NJ etc....makes one wonder if the DA didn't take the Pats and lay the points(j/k of course)

NYC was a cesspool of violent crime throughout the 70's and 80's, even places like Times Square that are all cleaned up and Disneyfied now. The mandatory minimum sentences for gun possession were passed to combat that, and have gotten stricter over the years. When the Plaxico incident first happened, the mayor came out right away and said he wanted to see him do jail time. NYC mayors (and DAs) who are seen as soft on crime do not last long.

That's the first thing I thought as well. 2 years is an a ton of time for carrying a handgun.

He'd have been better off killing a guy.

:wacko:

Agreed! I can't believe or understand how this all gets worked out. Is what he did right? Absolutely not. But as DMD said his purpose wasn't to shoot someone from an opposing gang. He was stupid and shot himself. Now he'll be out of football for about 3 years as he'll be in jail for 20 months and probably get suspended for a year afterward. And Stallworth gets behind the wheel of a car while impaired, hits a jaywalking man, kills him and gets less than a month behind bars!!

Serious?!?

Those who lived in in NYC during the 80's and 90's see no problem for him getting 2 years because we see the then and now. Those who live in smaller cities or the country are probably like thats CRAZY!

I like to feel safe going to work and my family (and me) feel much safer today then years ago...so I see no problem someone like this getting 2 years.

I want someone to be like wow PLAX tested the system and got 2 years on this, I am not doing it.

ETA: If you don't live in NYC (or similar city) then its hard to comment or have weight on your opinion. I know someone who was shot during an armed robbery 3pm in the afternoon. The person turned out to be fine but is scared mentally and hasnt been the same person and that person doesnt take the subway anymore.

Edited by MrTed46

Agreed! I can't believe or understand how this all gets worked out. Is what he did right? Absolutely not. But as DMD said his purpose wasn't to shoot someone from an opposing gang. He was stupid and shot himself. Now he'll be out of football for about 3 years as he'll be in jail for 20 months and probably get suspended for a year afterward. And Stallworth gets behind the wheel of a car while impaired, hits a jaywalking man, kills him and gets less than a month behind bars!!

Serious?!?

Although it sucks and makes no sense, you have to see the bigger picture. NYC has to be strict against these laws for the greater good of the city and not be lenient on the smaller picture, where a celebrity shot himself in the leg.

When comparing the 2 crimes, I agree that PLAX should have what Stallworth had and vice versa, but seeing the big picture and the concequences the population on a whole...then I understand the judgement.

Edited by MrTed46

+1

Never been a fan of Plax, but, this definitely seems excessive.

Those who lived in in NYC during the 80's and 90's see no problem for him getting 2 years because we see the then and now. Those who live in smaller cities or the country are probably like thats CRAZY!

I like to feel safe going to work and my family (and me) feel much safer today then years ago...so I see no problem someone like this getting 2 years.

I want someone to be like wow PLAX tested the system and got 2 years on this, I am not doing it.

ETA: If you don't live in NYC (or similar city) then its hard to comment or have weight on your opinion. I know someone who was shot during an armed robbery 3pm in the afternoon. The person turned out to be fine but is scared mentally and hasnt been the same person and that person doesnt take the subway anymore.

I totally understand this and agree that Plax should be punished for his stupidity. My issue is I don't understand how you can pass judgement on Plax's case and he end up with 2 years behind bars and yet the crime Stallworth committed is, in the eyes of the law, a lesser offense and he gets less than a month in jail. How in the world can you justify or explain that?!? Burress shot himself in the leg, Stallworth friggin' killed a man while driving impaired!! :wacko:

+1. When I was growing up, it was not considered safe to ride the subway or be in a lot of areas of the city after dark. Now my wife and I visit all the time, ride the subway anywhere we want to go, hang out in various places in Manhattan at night, and feel pretty safe for the most part. If this law was partially responsible for the turnaround, I'm all for it.

I can't feel sorry for another spoiled athlete who moped around with his sense of entitlement, blowing off practices and meetings, and then was stupid enough to walk around with a gun in his pants and shoot himself. That is the height of stupidity. To whom much is given, much is expected. If he is being made an example so that others will think twice about carrying a gun in the city, I'm all for that too.

Although it sucks and makes no sense, you have to see the bigger picture. NYC has to be strict against these laws for the greater good of the city and not be lenient on the smaller picture, where a celebrity shot himself in the leg.

When comparing the 2 crimes, I agree that PLAX should have what Stallworth had and vice versa, but seeing the big picture and the concequences the population on a whole...then I understand the judgement.

See my post in #20. Even though I feel it is excessive, I understand how this punishment could be acceptable. My issue is how Stallworth can drive a vehicle while impaired, kill a man and get less time than a man who stupidly carried a gun in a club and shot himself? Just baffles me and I know someone will come in here and say because it's the law...yadda-yadda-yadda. IMO, killing someone while driving impaired = more punishment than shooting yourself in the leg. Plain and simple.

I also think Brafman made some great points about how Plaxico being a celebrity hurt him in this case.

I don't see how it makes anyone feel safer. He did nothing to anyone and even shot himself. I was in NYC recently as a tourist and it was somewhat free of panhandlers and nefarious types in the purely tourist areas I remained, but some guy goes to a club and accidentally shoots himself - how does that have any bearing on what is happening on the street? It would seem rather unlikely that criminals have been following this case and would base their behavior from what someone did inside an exclusive club.

Hey - laws are laws and must be followed. Speaking for someone who does not live in NYC, I can safely say most of my neighbors would think it is insane and excessively punitive to the point of ignoring any of the factors in the case and to give some government officials something they can point at in the next election since NYC is now free from the scourge of millionaire athletes shooting themselves in the leg while in a club that none of us could even get into. If it makes the public feel better somehow, so be it. But it smacks of pointless bullying to serve some other agenda.

I totally understand this and agree that Plax should be punished for his stupidity. My issue is I don't understand how you can pass judgement on Plax's case and he end up with 2 years behind bars and yet the crime Stallworth committed is, in the eyes of the law, a lesser offense and he gets less than a month in jail. How in the world can you justify or explain that?!? Burress shot himself in the leg, Stallworth friggin' killed a man while driving impaired!! :wacko:

Apples & oranges. The DA in the Stallworth case was not confident he could prove that the man jaywalking on the highway would not have been killed had Stallworth been sober, so he offered the plea deal. Stallworth was smart and took it.

Plaxico as we all know is a complete idiot, and seemed to live in a world where he was entitled to do whatever he wanted without consequences. He too was offered a deal, and didn't take it. You could make the argument that he got off easy -- he faced two charges that each carried a mandatory minimum 3 1/2 years.

Excessive? He could have just as easily put a bullet through somone's head as he did through his own leg. I'm all for gun ownership - I own them myself. That said, there is tremendous responsibility on the gun owner. Doing something as stupid as he did could have ended up a whole lot worse, and he got off lucky. He won't serve two years - I'm guessing he's out in 6 to 9 months. But let's not overlook the fact that his irresponsibility recklessly and knowingly endangered a lot of people.