[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush, where do you see him?

rajncajn

I've seen widely varying opinions on Reggie. Some think he could produce near top 5 stats with a healthy season, some think he is quietly being replaced as the primary option by Pierre Thomas. In recent days I've seen a poll on ESPN asking if his best days are behind him. :wacko: To me this is all crazy talk. Last season through week 6 Bush was the top RB in the league in PPR leagues and #3 overall in most leagues. It wasn't even close and yes, that was while sharing time with Deuce and PT. This year will not be much, if any different. I've said this before & I'll say it again. They both will get ample carries, but when it comes to receptions Bush will get the lions share and will do a lot more with them.

Currently Bush's ADP listing has him being taken at #33 overall. Pierre Thomas is #30. Somebody please explain this to me, because I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't put enough emphasis on the possibility of injury when considering players, but if that were the case then the same case could be made for at least 5 or 6 RBs being taken ahead of him... Including Thomas.

Maybe my homerism is blinding me, but I'm telling you, if you're passing on Reggie because you think Pierre Thomas is taking his job then you are making a huge mistake.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen widely varying opinions on Reggie. Some think he could produce near top 5 stats with a healthy season, some think he is quietly being replaced as the primary option by Pierre Thomas. In recent days I've seen a poll on ESPN asking if his best days are behind him. :wacko: To me this is all crazy talk. Last season through week 6 Bush was the top RB in the league in PPR leagues and #3 overall in most leagues. It wasn't even close and yes, that was while sharing time with Deuce and PT. This year will not be much, if any different. I've said this before & I'll say it again. They both will get ample carries, but when it comes to receptions Bush will get the lions share and will do a lot more with them.

Currently Bush's ADP listing has him being taken at #33 overall. Pierre Thomas is #30. Somebody please explain this to me, because I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't put enough emphasis on the possibility of injury when considering players, but if that were the case then the same case could be made for at least 5 or 6 RBs being taken ahead of him... Including Thomas.

Maybe my homerism is blinding me, but I'm telling you, if you're passing on Reggie because you think Pierre Thomas is taking his job then you are making a huge mistake.

This may be part of it. Bush is being had at a greater value strictly because he's injury-prone. However, I don't think anyone thinks that PT is taking Bush's job because that isn't possible. Bush is not a #1 RB, he's a specialty player like few others are or ever have been. He can be a monster (as seen in the beginning of last season). However, he hasn't played a full season since '06 and his knee is already giving him trouble. I doubt he makes it through the entire year but when he does play, if he's close to 100%, he'll post some hugh stats. However, PT is going to be the main runner and GL guy and that's where his value will come from. People feel that he has a better chance of staying healthy and therefore, is being drafted a little higher. I think PT could have such a great year that he'll end up being a 1st rounder next year.

In PPR

Bush- 2007- 205 fantasy points in 12 games = 17.1 ppg.

Bush- 2008- 188 fantasy points in 10 games = 18.8 ppg.

So Bush will more than likely not make it through the season but he'll be money when he does play more often than not.

I don't think that's it exactly. I think when people look at the Saints' RB situation they see what could be... namely 2006-07 when Deuce and Bush were healthy.

Deuce: 1200 total yds, 30 recs, 10 TDs

Bush: 1300 total yds, 88 recs, 8 TDs

The current situation however is just a little different in that PT can do more of what Bush can do than Deuce could in '06-07. In other words, 2006 Deuce was good but probably not as good or as versatile as 2009 PT.

Throw in Bush's propensity for injury and the now, seemingly, defined roles for both Bush and PT in the offense... and on balance PT comes out slightly ahead in projected value and production (especially in non-PPR).

For sake of argument, before Bush's injury...

Including both Deuce & PT's stats as one, Bush had 64 carries to PT's 50 but more importantly 38 receptions to PT's 8. That's 8 receptions folks between Deuce & PT compared to 38. Now I will agree that the carries will likely tip more to PT's favor, but I'm expecting at the same point in the season we will be looking at PT's 65 to Bush's 50. I can tell you this, those few extra carries per game don't even come close to outweighing the amount of touches Reggie will get in the passing game. As far as the goal line carries go, as I've stated in another thread, Bush isn't the one you need to worry about stealing goal line touches. He'll get his regardless, but Payton is working in Mike Bell, Lynell Hamilton & PJ Hill a lot in short yardage situations & has had high praise for Bell so far this off season.

FWIW I'm not trying to push people off of drafting PT. I actually like his potential a lot & expect a good season out of him . I just think people need to temper their expectations a bit with him and in turn need to open their eyes to the ridiculous (IMHO) draft value it's giving to Bush.

FWIW I'm not trying to push people off of drafting PT. I actually like his potential a lot & expect a good season out of him . I just think people need to temper their expectations a bit with him and in turn need to open their eyes to the ridiculous (IMHO) draft value it's giving to Bush.

Agree one billion %.

My only concern with Bush is his injury history - it seems he will never play a full season. I haven't paid too much attention this offseason - how is his knee holding up fo far in TC?

My only concern with Bush is his injury history - it seems he will never play a full season. I haven't paid too much attention this offseason - how is his knee holding up fo far in TC?

No problems so far although they still give him a break now & then as a precaution. He says he's very close to 100% & everyone that has reported on him from camp says he looks more explosive than ever.

No problems so far although they still give him a break now & then as a precaution. He says he's very close to 100% & everyone that has reported on him from camp says he looks more explosive than ever.

:D

Way to jinx him, rajn!

The Houston Chronicle reports New Orleans Saints RB Reggie Bush (undisclosed) was limping after practice Thursday, Aug. 20. It is not known what happen to him.

Huddle Up: Bush had microfracture surgery last year, and now he's limping again. That's obviously not a good sign. We'll keep an eye on it and give you an update as soon as more as known. No matter what that news is, however, you probably can't rely on Bush being more than a No. 3 running back, possibly a No. 2 in PPR leagues.

:wacko:

I agree with you Rajn that Bush is being lost in the PT craze. Earlier in the summer I was able to start off from a 9 or 10 spot in a 10 team league mock and go WR-WR and the come back with PT and/or Ronnnie Brown/Kevin Smith/DMC/Grant, etc. Now PT is going incredibly early. Will he be worth an early 2nd rounder when all is said and done? Possibly, however, there is no question that he went from a nice little late 3rd-early 4th round value pick to being more of a risky pick in hopes that he does explode this year. Hate when that happens. I have no problem spending a late 2nd-early 3rd on PT but in 2 recent real drafts that I've been a part of he's gone with the 17th overall pick in both of them. Bush was taken at the 39th spot in one of those drafts. Again he could be worth a pick that high but it's no longer the value it was earlier in the summer. I feared his value would creep up but I wasn't thinking it would go that high, at least this year any way.

Here's the thing with Reggie, he'll be ranked lower on some sheets for fear of not playing a whole season but in regard to the games he does play he could very well rank in the Top 5 RBs and be a first round selection for the value he holds during those games.

Reggie used to be the epitomy of a high risk/high reward draft pick when he was being picked in the middle-late part of round 1. At this point, he's a great value pick as he's been falling into the 4th round and sometimes even a bit later. At that point you're drafting him as your 2nd and sometimes 3rd RB and for the games he does play, he'll be an absolute steal as he'll perform as a #1.

For sake of argument, before Bush's injury...

If he does play 16 games this season, great. More power to the Bush owner who took the risk. But for the sake of no argument, Bush has already been injured and shown a pattern of not being able to maintain a certain level of production. Theoretically a lot of guys are very productive when completely healthy but theoretical production should not be confused with actual.

He'll get his regardless, but Payton is working in Mike Bell, Lynell Hamilton & PJ Hill a lot in short yardage situations & has had high praise for Bell so far this off season.

This is only news if, by your Homer estimation, Payton will actually start adding a 3rd RB to the mix that might significantly curtail either PT or Bush's touches anywhere on the field. That would be news. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what any of those guys could add to a duo of PT/Bush. "Working in" those guys during the preseason and training camp really isn't news insofar as Payton has a responsibility to have more than 2 decent RBs on the roster. If anything Payton has shown a penchant for always trying to stock up on useful backup RBs.

What would also be news if Payton is looking to Bush to be a between the tackles, goalline type RB. Again, any insight there would be useful. But I thought they tried that experiment a few times already, especially last year, and it didn't work out so well. I thought it was pretty well settled that Bush is best suited when moved around the field and given the ball in space.

I agree that Bush has value. That's obvious. I guess what I don't understand is what you know about PT and his role that leads you to believe people are overpaying for PT. I believe PT's upside is priced into his current draft spot and Bush's risk is priced into his current draft spot.

Bush is a weird one...on the one hand there is so much potential and he is a very dynamic player. On the other, he is still not yet a very good pure running back. And then on top of that he's on a committee system. No doubt he is worth a high pick, but yeah, I still don't know if I want him or not.

No definitive news and this could be nothing but according to the Houston Chronicle, Reggie Bush was seen limping after Thursday's practice. Anyone read anything else or is it Bush just acting like a little Bush?

jeffduncantp - My take is the Bush injury -- if indeed there is one -- isn't serious.

Another report said no crutches, no ice & no wrap. Sounds like it's a non issue.

ETA: Also seen walking around signing autographs after practice.

This is actually the bigger story. :wacko:

wwltvsports - 9starting LT)Jammal Brown in Philly getting checked out for possible sports hernia.

Zach Strief is a pretty good backup, but losing Brown could still be a big hit to the run game.

Edited by rajncajn

jeffduncantp - Payton: Reggie strained calf. Not serious. Could play if needed.

wwltvsports - Bush on Bush: said it's just a bad cramp. Payton says it happened during post practice conditioning, nothing to worry about,

Edited by rajncajn