[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Mauer Joins Good Company

Outshined

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're talking "great pitching on a bad team", here is the single season "exhibit A" and the career "exhibit A":

Single Season: Steve Carlton

27-10 ... .730 W/L % ... 1.97 ERA ... 0.993 WHIP ... 10 complete games ... 8 shutouts ... 310 strikeouts ... 346 innings pitched

TEAM THAT YEAR = 59-97 (.378) ... or .269 in games that Carlton didn't get a decision in ...

Career: Walter Johnson

417-279 ... .599 W/L % ... 2.17 ERA ... 1.061 WHIP ... 531 complete games ... 110 shutouts ... 3509 strikeouts ... 5914 innings pitched

TEAM W/L FOR CAREER = 1558-1610 (.492) ... or .462 in games that Johnson didn't get a decision in ...

NOTE: During a 10yr stretch (1910-1919), Walter Johnson was 265-143 (.650) while the Senators were 755-737 (.506) --- or .452 in games that Johnson didn't figure in.

Twins win the day half of the doubleheader to pull within one. :D

:D

:D

Guess Mauer can be considered for MVP now that were almost contenders.

:wacko:

Was at the game tonight. Great atmosphere and very entertaining game. Thought Granderson's bad judgment in the outfield may do the Tigers in.

Edited by Puddy

:wacko:

Was at the game tonight. Great atmosphere and very entertaining game. Thought Granderson's bad judgment in the outfield may do the Tigers in.

Each team squeaked one. Wouldn't surprise me to see a series split which would suit the Tigers fine.

Each team squeaked one. Wouldn't surprise me to see a series split which would suit the Tigers fine.

Yeah... They really need to take these next two to have any shot. Otherwise, they go into the weekend still down 2 games, which would mean they would need a lot of help to get it done. Either way, I have mixed feelings about this run they're on... It's always nice to see them come from out of nowhere to contend for the playoffs. On the other hand, part of me can't help but feel like they have no business being in a pennant race right now, considering the injuries they've endured. Not to mention, if they were to somehow pull it off, it would set up another post-season meeting with the Yankees, and we all know how MN usually fares in that matchup. :wacko:

I guess Gardenhire deserves a lot of credit, though... he really knows how to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

Yeah... They really need to take these next two to have any shot. Otherwise, they go into the weekend still down 2 games, which would mean they would need a lot of help to get it done. Either way, I have mixed feelings about this run they're on... It's always nice to see them come from out of nowhere to contend for the playoffs. On the other hand, part of me can't help but feel like they have no business being in a pennant race right now, considering the injuries they've endured. Not to mention, if they were to somehow pull it off, it would set up another post-season meeting with the Yankees, and we all know how MN usually fares in that matchup. :wacko:

I guess Gardenhire deserves a lot of credit, though... he really knows how to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

Yeah - it would be nice, but very painful...

Not to mention, if they were to somehow pull it off, it would set up another post-season meeting with the Yankees, and we all know how MN usually fares in that matchup. :wacko:

1) The objective of all teams is to win the world series.

2) You can't win the world series unless you're playing ball in October.

FYI.

Jim Leyland says Gardenhire is the best manager in baseball. He might well be right. You can quibble about some of his in-game decisions but overall this bunch compete, year in, year out and there are virtually no locker room shenanigans - none that last anyway. Ask Ozzie Guillen what he thinks of the Twins.

Whether we pull it off or not, it's been a heck of a ride again......that 10 run lead we blew at Oakland months ago might still bite our ass.

1) The objective of all teams is to win the world series.

2) You can't win the world series unless you're playing ball in October.

FYI.

No offense, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this post, besides stating the obvious. :D All I'm saying is the Yankees have the Twins' number, in the post-season as well as the regular season. I'd be surprised if there is a more lop-sided matchup in baseball, in terms of how poorly the Twins have played NY over the past few years. Not only 0-7 against them this year, but 16-46 against them since Gardenhire took over in 2002. :wacko:

1 game back again.............. :wacko:

Lets just hope Blackie brings his 'A' game and the hit Greinke hard. I went to the game last night and it was a blast...at least the 1st 5 innings. Tomorrow is going to be rockin as well. The are lifting the outfield curtain to sell more seats. There will probably be 50K+ Saturday and Sunday.