[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How valuable is Jared Allen

tiger20

I have the 5th pick in an 8 team Dynasty League where we are allowed to keep (My keepers in parentheses:

1 QB (None due to a trade)

1 WR (Roddy White)

1 RB (Steven Jackson)

2 Flex (Marion Barber, Marques Colston)

1 DL (Trent Cole)

2 LB (Karlos Dansby, Paul Posulsny)

1 CB (Chris Gamble)

1 S (Yeremiah Bell)

A starting lineup is equivalent to our keepers, plus 1 DL and 1 CB, so we do start 2 DL

With the following scoring format:

Offense

· 1/10 of a point for every yard running, receiving, and passing

· 6 Points for a touchdown run or received

· 4 Points for a touchdown pass

· -2 Points for any Interception thrown

· 2 Points for a 2-pt conversion

· 1 Point for an extra point

· 3 Points for a Field Goal

· 1 Bonus Point for any Field Goal 50yds or more

Defense

· 2 Points for a solo tackle

· 2 Points for a Special Teams solo tackle

· 4 Points for a sack

· 2 Points for a ½ Sack

· 2 Points for a Forced Fumble

· 4 Points for an Int

Somehow, Jared Allen is going to be available in the draft. My question is, is he worth a first round pick in this format over the available offensive players?

I project that these players will be available at 5:

QBs available:

Donovan McNabb

Tony Romo

Carson Palmer

Matt Schaub

RBs Available

Kevin Smith

Derrick Ward

Thomas Jones

Knowshon Moreno

Beanie Wells

Marshawn Lynch

Larry Johnson

WRs Available

Dwayne Bowe

Chad Ochocinco

Wes Welker

These offensive players would be most often backups in our format, whereas Allen would start. I'm pretty sure I can wait on a QB to pick, because they will last with every other team already having their starting QB. What do you guys think?

No way do you take Allen with your 1st pick if thats what you are asking. I would go Welker or Ocho.

Despite the fact that Allen and Cole would make a beast DL tandem that would outscore every other DL combo by far? and Welker/Ocho would be a backup flex for my team?

Despite the fact that Allen and Cole would make a beast DL tandem that would outscore every other DL combo by far? and Welker/Ocho would be a backup flex for my team?

What other DL's are available? That's a lot of pretty good offensive talent that would give you a lot of flexibility for your flex spot and you don't have a starting QB yet either, so I would have a hard time passing up these players for a position where you start 2 and only 2 when you already have a high-quality starter at the position.

A list of what other DL's are out there would be helpful to take the discussion further.

What other DL's are available? That's a lot of pretty good offensive talent that would give you a lot of flexibility for your flex spot and you don't have a starting QB yet either, so I would have a hard time passing up these players for a position where you start 2 and only 2 when you already have a high-quality starter at the position.

A list of what other DL's are out there would be helpful to take the discussion further.

Sure...the other available DL would be:

Vanden Bosch

Haynesworth

Justin Smith

Darryl Tapp

Will Smith

Who would be the offensive talent that could help my team so much? How many weeks would Kevin Smith or Ochocinco start over Marion Barber or Marques Colston? Where Allen would start every week

Sure...the other available DL would be:

Vanden Bosch

Haynesworth

Justin Smith

Darryl Tapp

Will Smith

Who would be the offensive talent that could help my team so much? How many weeks would Kevin Smith or Ochocinco start over Marion Barber or Marques Colston? Where Allen would start every week

I wouldn't fault you for taking the elite DL available since it's a dynasty, but my opinion would be getting a starting QB would be a priority and adding one of those higher tier offensive players would make your team really solid all year with the ability to swap guys around. If you are looking at the fact that you can keep Allen and Cole for many years, I understand. Personally, I'd rather have the depth in my offense and pick up one of the DL's later to fill out my slot, or hope to get lucky that Allen falls to me in the 2nd.