[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ball Hitting Scoreboard

Footballjoe

So the league has ruled that a punted ball hitting the scoreboard will result in a do-over. I wonder what happens if the ball gets so close that you can't really tell if it skims the scoreboard or not. Is that a reviewable play? I could see a scenario where the ball gets up there very close and then the resulting kick return does not meet with one of the team's expectations, so they challenge with the argument that the ball hit the scoreboard. :wacko:

They ruled the clock will be reset also, which addresses what I considered the major concern -- that a punter could just keep hitting the thing until time expired.

This can now be subject to a booth review at any time, and is reviewable by coach's challenge too, in case of any doubt that a ball hit the monstrosity.

So there you have it, it's just a minor annoyance and embarrassment instead of a full-on crisis, and since Jerry has no shame anyway, not even an embarrassment really. Problem solved.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously...they play the Eagles, Redskins and Giants. Those 3 teams suck so hard when the Cowboys are up 58-0 and have basically raped every last bit of manhood from their staff and fans, will it really matter?

A minor embarassment? Hardly.

If the Cowboys have given it a couple of seconds of thought, they would have realized that they designed it to be hung too close to the field - or at least investigated it. They could have erected some type of facsimile or barrier above the ground and trotted some punters out there to check it out. They could have measured punts with lasers and watched tape and crunched the numbers. They could have gone to the local high school computer lab and run some simulations. They didn't do anything of the sort.

Instead, they consulted a rulebook, looked at an antiquated rule (obviously, the NFL did not contemplate a scoreboard that size when they made that regulation) and built the thing barely above the league minimum requirement.

The NFL had to make a new rule about it.

The Cowboys should be humiliated.

A minor embarassment? Hardly.

If the Cowboys have given it a couple of seconds of thought, they would have realized that they designed it to be hung too close to the field - or at least investigated it. They could have erected some type of facsimile or barrier above the ground and trotted some punters out there to check it out. They could have measured punts with lasers and watched tape and crunched the numbers. They could have gone to the local high school computer lab and run some simulations. They didn't do anything of the sort.

Instead, they consulted a rulebook, looked at an antiquated rule (obviously, the NFL did not contemplate a scoreboard that size when they made that regulation) and built the thing barely above the league minimum requirement.

The NFL had to make a new rule about it.

The Cowboys should be humiliated.

First of all, I think it is impossible to humiliate Jerry Jones.

Second, MJD thinks NFL adopts do-overs; games to end when Jimmy's mom calls for him?

Edited by Kid Cid

So what's the over/under on this thing getting hit during the season. I think it's much lower than I would guess. I'm guessing 2 or less.

Well if a team decides it might be a good strategy to wear out the Cowboys gunners, I'd put the over/under at about 100.

Well if a team decides it might be a good strategy to wear out the Cowboys gunners, I'd put the over/under at about 100.

The gunners are on the punt team. Explain to me how the other team that is not punting can try to wearout the Cowboys gunners by having the football hit the scoreboard???

The gunners are on the punt team. Explain to me how the other team that is not punting can try to wearout the Cowboys gunners by having the football hit the scoreboard???

It's complicated, you wouldn't understand.

:wacko:

:wacko:

I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you danged kids.

Great. Now the next owner who wants to build a stadium will try to add something like this to give his team a competetive advantage. Perhaps Ziggy will build a new dome in Minnesota and put a drop ceiling in, 85 ft high with 70 million ceiling tiles.

I will always tip my cap to Jerry for making the moves that added 3 rings to the hand but this is just so friggin stupid. Bite the bullet and raise the thing already. Any measure that can be made to avoid an unneccesary stoppage in a football game should be made without hesitation..Jeez :wacko:

Great. Now the next owner who wants to build a stadium will try to add something like this to give his team a competetive advantage. Perhaps Ziggy will build a new dome in Minnesota and put a drop ceiling in, 85 ft high with 70 million ceiling tiles.

Wouldn't a low ceiling benefit a good team more?