[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top QB values; When to strike ?

AFRO

Its pretty much a lock that some folks value top tier QBs.

So my question is how many of the Top-Tier RBs/WRs go off the board before you are bold enough to pick a top QB?

Although I feel like the QB position is going to have some pretty good depth in tier two possibly between rounds 4-6...

What factors into the decision to take the shot on a top flight QB over a tier two RB or Top WR? (I guess projection wise?) and how much do you factor in Strength of Schedule?

trying to get a feel for a league that has harsh penalties for sacks (-3 per/sack ouch!) and 1pt/50yds passing (no PPR no PPC) 6pt TDs...and think if I want to get a Breese or a Brady/Manning or hopefully a Rogers, I may need to up these few a tick or two.. I may need a top guy in this format..

Last year seemed like the low tier QB could only score in the negative..like Garread getting sacked a million times last year; struggled in this scoring..

what is your advice for a brotha?

i try not to take a QB until the 3rd round at the earliest (if one of the top 3 are still left) unless the league starts 2 QBs or the scoring system heavily favors the top tier QBs.

What is the advantage of waiting, if you can get Payton or Brady in rnd two?

Its 12 tm IDP, and its auto pick draft too...I am with toronator on this subject usually, but in this league I think I may need elite strength at QB this year, that means ranking them higher then I usually do, but I dont want to lose too much base value in the RB and WR dept as we get a Flex in the format too..

at any rate, I still have seen the likes of them going as early as four and five in recent reg scoring Mock I just did.. Brady 4 Brees 5.. I still think that is too early, but just want more opinions who can validate why they think Brady is #4/5 overall talent..

I took Schaub as my QB1 in the 7th Rd as the 11th QB of the board. I had him targeted late, but was still nervous seeing all those others taken before me.

Why wait? Because I can start 2 RB, 2 WR, and 1 flex and I was able to take advantage of the early QB run to have:

Megatron, Gore, Portis, Colston, Housh, and Tony Gonzalez.

10 team league

-Heroes

I took Schaub as my QB1 in the 7th Rd as the 11th QB of the board. I had him targeted late, but was still nervous seeing all those others taken before me.

Why wait? Because I can start 2 RB, 2 WR, and 1 flex and I was able to take advantage of the early QB run to have:

Megatron, Gore, Portis, Colston, Housh, and Tony Gonzalez.

10 team league

-Heroes

I am wondering, "why some go early on a top QB?" instead of quality RB/WRs in top tier...

It seems in this format, the scoring averages of QBs in your league would be minimally different. That means that you should wait to grab a QB until later because the value of a premium QB in your league isn't that much greater than a later round pick.

To answer your question: in a scoring format where QB differences are much greater, the more elite QBs have much wider gaps above the average quarterback, which justifies a higher round pick.

It seems in this format, the scoring averages of QBs in your league would be minimally different. That means that you should wait to grab a QB until later because the value of a premium QB in your league isn't that much greater than a later round pick.

To answer your question: in a scoring format where QB differences are much greater, the more elite QBs have much wider gaps above the average quarterback, which justifies a higher round pick.

Thank You! that has an explination of WHY someone would take a QB early..

Not going to be me per se, but I will weigh the options vs the scoring..and try to make a good educated guess..

Thanks bro

my leagues are standard 4 pts per 25yds, no pts for catches either......so i can see why waiting is better, unless it is the year where Brady goes for 50 TD's,,, Also I have actually never seen anyone that drafted a QB in rnd 1-2 win it all in my leagues....

What do you boys think ???River, Rogers, Romo, Mcnabb, in that order??

my leagues are standard 4 pts per 25yds, no pts for catches either......so i can see why waiting is better, unless it is the year where Brady goes for 50 TD's,,, Also I have actually never seen anyone that drafted a QB in rnd 1-2 win it all in my leagues....

What do you boys think ???River, Rogers, Romo, Mcnabb, in that order??

I averaged the point projections from 5 reputable sources...the average point projections have those four in this order

Rodgers

Rivers

McNabb

Romo

Though McNabb and Romo are virtually equal.

when to strike? depends on your league format, but generally...

grab brees/brady early. if you cant, wait until round 5 or 6 to draft a qb.

the top 2 qbs usually post up monster numbers, with u HUGE drop off after them. the drop off after them. the drop off between tier 1 & 2 is greater in QBs than in any other position.

because i can get rodgers or rivers in round 4.

exactly my thought. if I can get rodgers or rivers after round 4 I would have taken one more quality rb/wr to start and not dropped off tremendously from QB to do so. I watch what positions the other teams are drafting so I can somewhat predict how many of each position will go before my next pick. If I'm comfortable that wr/rbs won't be drained by the time it comes back to me, it might be time to take a qb. If the next 10 RBs off the board, for example, seriously drops the potential return value of that position on my next pick, I skip QB and go with a rb(or WR).

Generally if I'm in the bottom third of the first round I would consider taking a WR first if the first 7 picks or so are RBs. Then a rb coming back in the 2nd. I have seen people use this logic with a QB and at the end of the draft they are usually worried sick about their RB or WR depth because one will suffer if you take a QB too early.