[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Driver being drafted so low?

42zero

Hes been one of the most consistant recievers. Since being a starter he has put up 1000+ yards 6 out of 7 seasons including 5 years in a row. With Rodgers in his second year as a started, he is expected to improve and have another great year at qb. Is there any reason why Driver should be expected to decline in production. Is he a steal in the 8th round?

He's not a bad value in the 8th round at all, but he's 34 years old and in the twilight of his career. He has managed to stay above 1000 yards the last two years but just barely (1048 and 1012 yards). The problem with him is that he almost never has a big game. He did have two efforts over 100 yards (though one was in week 17) but he also had 11 games of less than 75 yards without a score. He usually only had four or five catches so if you like maybe 6 points in a non-ppr league or 10 or 11 points in a ppr league, then he's okay. He's consistently there, just rarely ever giving you a weekly score that makes a difference for your team.

He's mostly just a great backup for bye week replacements because he almost always has 50 or so yards every week.

He's not a bad value in the 8th round at all, but he's 34 years old and in the twilight of his career. He has managed to stay above 1000 yards the last two years but just barely (1048 and 1012 yards). The problem with him is that he almost never has a big game. He did have two efforts over 100 yards (though one was in week 17) but he also had 11 games of less than 75 yards without a score. He usually only had four or five catches so if you like maybe 6 points in a non-ppr league or 10 or 11 points in a ppr league, then he's okay. He's consistently there, just rarely ever giving you a weekly score that makes a difference for your team.

He's mostly just a great backup for bye week replacements because he almost always has 50 or so yards every week.

+1

alright good answer

Basically he's old and some up n comers are nipping at his heels plus odds are Rodgers doesn't put up quite the same #s anyway.

ODDS? The odds last year were Rodgers wouldn't finish the season. How did that work out?

He looks better than last year. Driver plays younger than he is. He's a workout warrior. 2 years ago he was hurt. Last year Rodgers missed him on 2 sure TD passes if not more.

His problem was not working with Rodgers enough so he wasn't consistent enough to start week to week.

I'd be more concerned with Finley and Jones back the ball gets spread around too much but Brees has the same problem.

In the Sofa IDP FBG's took him before Brees, Brady and Manning.

I see the odds being against your odds(on Rodgers at least).

For Driver consistency is more important than 1000-1300 yards for the season.

:wacko:

+1

Randall, I like Driver as much as you, but the point is his production is down slightly and only a monster game vs Det got him over the magical 1000 yd barrier last season.

34 isn't super-old for a WR but it seems that when WRs get old, it happens almost overnight. Plus if Grant and GB's OL are better, that's less passing for Rodger - even if he is more efficient than last year, it'll be tough for him to top 4000 yds and 28 tds (which isn't that important anyway - I don't see him falling off much, maybe down to 3600-3800 and mid-20s in tds) but that drop has to come from SOMEWHERE. Driver is the most likely candidate.

Driver, Ward, and Mason are kind of all in the same boat. Of the three, I think fantasy drafters believe that Driver is the riskiest - he has young players legitimately pushing him, whereas Mason had the Ravens begging him to come back and Ward would likely experience the same should he decide to hang em up right now. I think you MIGHT not get burned with Driver, but the odds are higher than they are with similar players and that is why Driver drops so low.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me despite the fact that Driver has the best QB of the bunch.

Driver, Ward, and Mason are kind of all in the same boat. Of the three, I think fantasy drafters believe that Driver is the riskiest - he has young players legitimately pushing him, whereas Mason had the Ravens begging him to come back and Ward would likely experience the same should he decide to hang em up right now. I think you MIGHT not get burned with Driver, but the odds are higher than they are with similar players and that is why Driver drops so low.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me despite the fact that Driver has the best QB of the bunch.

Don't forget to put Holt in there.

None of these players will get you Andre Johnson type numbers in any week, but for a spot that you need to get at least some points, these players are as reliable as any player out there. That's why I loved Rod Smith in his later years. Always good for some decent points.

Yep. I'd pencil all 3 of them in for 60-800-5 (which ain't bad, really) and anything over that is gravy.

And I have man-love for 2 of the 3 guys, but this is business.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this earlier and the Vincent Jackson discussion popped up in my mind as well.

Jackson has 317 yds second to Wayne

Driver has 233

not comparing the two but comparing the two in relation to where people took them.

I think both are performing well above their ADPs

Edited by loaf

Fortunately I didn't listen to all the people dissing Jackson here :wacko: (now watch him tank)

I targeted Driver as a sleeper but so were too many others. Ditto Mason. IMO the ol reliables are well worth having as backups at least.