[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Bell?

LayLow

no way unless Pierre fails miserably, now if pierre or/when bush is out with an injury he will get increase carries. until last night it was even a given he would make the team. so I wouldn't read to much into last nights game except the fact that bush was held out(with an injury) as a precautionary move.

Yeah I agree with Slayer on this one. Bell has a history of fumbling and until he proves last night wasn't the exception to the norm then both Bush and Thomas are safe.

Agreed. Mike Bell was solid in Denver but never a caliber RB. Fumbled allot and had an issue with shoe string tackles.

I drafted Pierre Thomas in the late rounds of ALL my drafts last year...it worked out

I picked him up off the wire last year, mid season. He was one of the reasons I made it to the superbowl.

so then there would be good reason for people to pay attention to bell...to just blindly dismiss PS games is a bit foolish...now bell might be nothing more than roster fodder but honestly how many late round picks actually ever pan out

so then there would be good reason for people to pay attention to bell...to just blindly dismiss PS games is a bit foolish...now bell might be nothing more than roster fodder but honestly how many late round picks actually ever pan out

In all honesty, Mike Bell has been a starter and has shown his weekness and strengths. PT was only the starter the later part of last year and was primarily on special teams but did a great job when given the title. Hell, even Denver put him in second position each time Young was healthy......That should say allot.

Hell, even Denver put him in second position each time Young was healthy......That should say allot.

That we are having this discussion about Bell while Young is out of work and not looking to be employed as a RB any time in the near future says what your assessment here means.

I think he's a handcuff for PT owners. If PT goes down, I don't think Bush's role changes much. He's just not an every-down back. Bell would probably pick up a good chunk of PT's carries, along with short-yardage. It would be ugly, but if you have the roster spot I'd pick him up as a PT owner.

In all honesty, Mike Bell has been a starter and has shown his weekness and strengths. PT was only the starter the later part of last year and was primarily on special teams but did a great job when given the title. Hell, even Denver put him in second position each time Young was healthy......That should say allot.

I wont disagree that PT did a nice/good job last year but something that people probably have overlooked were the teams that he had that success against...now I am using the teams he faced after the bye since week 10 was the 1st time he had double digit touches except for week 1 of the season:

week 10: ATL ranked 25th in rushing D

week 11: KC ranked 30th in rushing D

week 12: GB ranked 26th in rushing D

week 13: TB ranked 19th in rushing D

week 14: ATL ranked 25th in rushing D

week 15: CHI ranked 5th in rushing D

week 16: DET ranked 32nd in rushing D

so in 7 weeks he faced ONE D that was ranked in single digits against the run and 6 in the bottom half of the league against the rush....5 of those 7 games were against the bottom 1/4 of teams in the NFL against the rush.

Against the toughest 2 D's he faced(that didnt rank in the bottom 1/4 of the NFL) he went 33 for 121 3.7 YPC

Not saying PT shouldnt be a nice RB this year but I am saying that there is more than just one reason to have a bit of trepidation with regards to him this year

Edited by keggerz

One thing that should be obvious is that the Saints' OL is very, very good. Especially so when Jammal Brown is on the field. It's an OL that can make average RBs look much better than reality.

I wouldn't ridicule Bell's role or contribution but it's one thing to start putting him in the rotation. Coaches and players like to talk, especially in preseason, but often times that amounts to just that... talk. If anything, Bell has value because he's a capable RB on a team with an outstanding OL.

Edited by kingfish247

One thing that should be obvious is that the Saints' OL is very, very good. Especially so when Jammal Brown is on the field. It's an OL that can make average RBs look much better than reality.

I wouldn't ridicule Bell's role or contribution but it's one thing to start putting him in the rotation. Coaches and players like to talk, especially in preseason, but often times that amounts to just that... talk. If anything, Bell has value because he's a capable RB on a team with an outstanding OL.

This says it perfectly. Bell has a great game in the preseason and everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon, especially after he's been solid in camp. It's a great preseason effort! With Bell's performance, I think the terms used were, he makes a place for himself on the roster. Bell will provide great depth for the Saints and SHOULD PT or Bush go down, Bell will be able to step in. PT is going to be a STUD and if Bush can stay healthy for any length of time he will be a STUD in PPR leagues. Bush, as everyone knows, carries more risk/reward. However, he carries less risk than he did in the past as he was at one point a mid-late first rounder and now he's a late 3rd-mid 4th rounder. Alot easier to take a shot and draft Bush there.

Not saying PT shouldnt be a nice RB this year but I am saying that there is more than just one reason to have a bit of trepidation with regards to him this year

I always like your analysis, keg...well-thought out, supported by facts.

That being said, it seems you always offer a reason from "trepidation" on every RB....and rightly so. Point is, I don't know if there is as an RB in the top-20 that doesn't have some sort of potential negative attached to them.

I always like your analysis, keg...well-thought out, supported by facts.

That being said, it seems you always offer a reason from "trepidation" on every RB....and rightly so. Point is, I don't know if there is as an RB in the top-20 that doesn't have some sort of potential negative attached to them.

very true but I like to point it out when people seem to really be expecting much more than they safely should be...does that make any sense?

IE: MJD to carry the ball 20-25 times/game...Turner to have upside above his 1700 rushing yards last year....

...which is listed as mild and day-to-day. So feel free to draft him in your $10,000 leagues, but I'd consider other options in the $30k leagues.

not correct...the coach said it was nothing to worry about so it was assumed it was a grade 1 MCL sprain but that has not been confirmed, yet

When asked whether the Saints would employ a three-back rotation this season, coach Sean Payton responded, "I think so." Thomas (knee) may lose some touches in the Saints' backfield due to this development, reports the Times-Picayune.

Recommendation: This is not the best news for owners who drafted Thomas extremely high. While a rotation does not necessarily mean an equal share of touches for all, it is clear the Saints are impressed with the physical running style of Mike Bell, particularly in short-yardage situations. Thomas will get the opportunity to handle the goal line work at first, however, if he struggles, he may lose carries in these situations to Bell.

• 3 weeks later...