[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top Defenses in 09

Jackass

So one of my leagues uses a fairly complex scoring system for defenses which i won't go into, but the essence is the biggest impact comes from how many points they allow each game. This scoring also heavily weights defenses so that a good D could go as high as the 4th or 5th round. So for this year, which D's will allow the fewest points? (Schedule could impact this list as well.)

My top 5:

Pitt

Giants

Vikings

Ravens

Eagles

Anyone care to offer any thoughts? Feel free to throw in some sleepers as well.

So one of my leagues uses a fairly complex scoring system for defenses which i won't go into, but the essence is the biggest impact comes from how many points they allow each game. This scoring also heavily weights defenses so that a good D could go as high as the 4th or 5th round. So for this year, which D's will allow the fewest points? (Schedule could impact this list as well.)

My top 5:

Pitt

Giants

Vikings

Ravens

Eagles

I like the Chargers D this year. The fact that everyone is back healthy (Merriman 90% healthy) should put them back up there in the top teir or two. PLUS....you have to take into account who they play twice a year. Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City...seriously they could pitch 6 shut outs right there alone. If your scoring system takes PR TDs and KR TDs into account, you have to assume that Spoiles will be taking a few back to the house throughout the season as well. In all my drafts sp far this year, I have been able to snag them in the later rounds with no problem. :wacko:

My top 5:

Pitt

Giants

Vikings

Ravens

Eagles

I actually think the Eagles are going to struggle this year defensively. They lose an immense amount of leadership and skill with the departures of Jim Johnson, Brian Dawkins and Stewart Bradley.

I actually think the Eagles are going to struggle this year defensively. They lose an immense amount of leadership and skill with the departures of Jim Johnson, Brian Dawkins and Stewart Bradley.

Seriously... how long has Johnson been coordinating that D?

That's going to be a huge hit.

the loss of Stewart Bradley isn't that big a deal and there is definitely stil lots of leadership coming from the likes of Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel....

and Brian Dawkins became a liablity in coverage last year...so much that they made him a safety/linebacker while Demps and Mikell played safety....so while his leadership will be missed, it can be replaced and his play has definitely declined over the last 2 seasons when it came down the stretch...

I still have the Eagles in my top 5 as far as defenses go because McDermott has been with the team for a decade now and only needs to work on his rapport with the players....he knows the schemes and how things need to be run and on top of that we'll see the real defense when the regular season hits

... rather than during the pre-season where the offense goes 3 and out due to having almost the entire OL being run by backups...which affects the defense....plus the options on special teams are very good as long as they take Maclin off return duties...

My top 5 are:

Chargers

Steelers

Ravens

Eagles

Patriots

I also like the Packers to improve a lot too. The Chargers as Ram Man pointed out should do well just on schedule alone. I think the Eagles will be fine because of their scheme and overall talent. JJ and Dawkins will be missed but life goes and they will adjust.

Meh. :wacko:

Umenyiora's back and they added Rocky Bernard. That's enough for me.

Agreed. I have a league with high defensive scoring so I tried to grab too solid Ds. I ended up with the Giants and the Chargers. I struggled at D last year when the Seahawks and Packers watered away into nothing late in the season. Anyway, I think the Giants should still be solid on defense, but I was glad to get the Chargers as well because I see them being undervalued and they play in a weaker division.