Sign in to follow this  
Meat Face

Smarty Jones loses!

I watched the race--it appeared Smarty was going to win--but it seemed like he faded in the last 200 yds--I'm not a horse racing fan but I really wanted him to win the Triple Crown!!

Did you see how far back Birdstone was? The horse poured it on at the end. Smarty was going all out but it wasn't enough.

The idea of a Triple Crown winner is so compelling, I ended up making sure I watched the race, and normally I think horse racing is for people who aren't comfortable wagering on real sports. Fun race to watch, though. After Smarty Jones opened up that 1 1/2 length lead, I was thinking "game over" but Birdstone really came on at the end.

Unfortunately, Smarty never got a chance to take a breather.

He got out of the gate quick, three wide in the first turn. He was pushed by three different horses in the backstretch (none of which posted) and didn't have enough to hold off Birdstone, who had stayed back conserving energy.

I was definitely disappointed by Smarty's loss. I had hope when he had a 3 1/2 length lead in the stretch but he looked tired.

Maybe next year.

I wonder how that guy who bought 6000 $2 Smarty Jones tickets is feeling? I'm assuming his plan was to sell the "Triple Crown Momento" on ebay so I don't feel too sorry for him.

myhousekey:

I wonder how that guy who bought 6000 $2 Smarty Jones tickets is feeling?  I'm assuming his plan was to sell the "Triple Crown Momento" on ebay so I don't feel too sorry for him.

lol ahh the best laid plans...

sounds like this guy was a little too clever for his own good.