[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Carlson?

CardinalEmpire.com

Since I think the stud TE's are coming off the boards too soon and even the 2nd-tier guys are going a little early, what does the board think of Carlson this year in Seattle? I'm tempted to stock up on WR's/RB's in the middle rounds and then see if I can get Carlson as my TE in Round 10 or so. I don't necessarily think he's going to put up Gates/Gonzalez numbers, but I think building that depth on the bench is worth the small difference in points I will see from foregoing a TE in Round 3/4.

By the numbers in my league last Gonzo was #1 and Carlson was #8. Per game he gave up 6.125 points per game to Gonzo. Witten was #2 and there was only 2.6 points per game difference. Carlson only started 9 games last year and even with Housh there now, he should still do well. I'd much rather have depth at the WR/RB spot then waste an early pick on a TE for 2-6 points difference per game.

By the numbers in my league last Gonzo was #1 and Carlson was #8. Per game he gave up 6.125 points per game to Gonzo. Witten was #2 and there was only 2.6 points per game difference. Carlson only started 9 games last year and even with Housh there now, he should still do well. I'd much rather have depth at the WR/RB spot then waste an early pick on a TE for 2-6 points difference per game.

I think it's fair to say that a year of experience + the return of Hasselbeck portend good things for Carlson.

As far as depth at WR/RB as opposed to jumping on a TE, I have concocted a "stud TE" theory - basically, QB and WR tend to be pretty even on many teams; D and K are crapshoots for the most part, and at RB, well, we all know they are fantasy gold (or have been; with PPR and flex players the RB dominance is beginning to ebb).

However, there is DEFINITE tiering of the TEs from the elite to the solid to the scrub. Grabbing TWO TEs early-ish (not saying your first two picks, but grab an elite guy in the first 3 rounds, and if possible jump on another solid TE before the big run if possible, and if rosters are big grabbing a 3rd TE from the "solid" bin doesn't hurt either) gives you a CLEAR edge at that position nearly every week; jumping on the 2nd TE early gives quality depth/trade bait and also depletes the talent pool, making your advantage with your starter even greater.

I don't think "stud TE theory" will necessarily win you a title, but I think it gives you an edge to get into the playoffs.

EDIT - quick prediction on Carlson numbers wise, I can see him being the Owen Daniels area - say 60-750-5.

Edited by Chavez

wait a little more and get Keller instead. Or Shiancoe. Or Boss. Keller will be the best of them.

With Mark Sanchez throwing to him? I can see a lot of receptions due to check-downs, but I almost think Keller is going to be kept in blocking most of the year to give the rook extra protection. Schiancoe is one I am cautiously high on, maybe even Boss with the WR issues that NYG has. But Keller seems to be looking at another average year with a new QB learning the ropes.

wait a little more and get Keller instead. Or Shiancoe. Or Boss. Keller will be the best of them.

Spoken like a true Jets fan. Mr. TE Lover Brett Favruh is no longer in Jets green. Keller is going to take a step back this season. So unless you're talking dynasty format (in which case, sure, Keller could be the best of those names), then you're likely going to be proven wrong.