[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens when you draft Witten and Gates

Thews40

You are asking me to "prove" hindsight has 20/20. I'm not dying at RB2, and your continued assumption that anyone drafted in the #3 or #4th round would me money... BS. I have Gates/Witten and a bunch of longshots. If I upgrade(any slot) it will be due to a need... one I can fill with a TE trade. Your logic is bogus.

No ... you said your strategy of trying to start a TE run/panic was valid because the 2nd TE you drafted would be a viable flex starter. I'm saying I find that bit hard to believe. So I have asked twice now if you started both TEs and both times you have side stepped the question. This leads me to believe that you left one of your TEs on the bench invalidating your statement that you were drafting a viable flex starter.

Secondly you said that it is also a draft to trade strategy. I have generally found this to be a poor strategy as the owner that drafted to trade is trading from a position of weakness. All the other owners in the league are not required to trade with you and know that any trade they make with you allows you to move points from your bench to your starting line up. I find it unlikely you will get full value for your 4th round pick. ESPECIALLY if there are 10 or more TEs that continue to out-perform both of the TEs you have to offer.

These are the RBs you could have had in the 4th round and beyond in my local:

4.01 37. Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

4.02 38. Rice, Ray BAL RB Sat

4.07 43. Smith, Kevin DET RB

4.08 44. Johnson, Larry KCC RB

5.02 50. Bush, Reggie NOS RB

6.06 66. McFadden, Darren OAK RB

7.04 76. Jones, Felix DAL RB

7.05 77. Ward, Derrick TBB RB

7.09 81. Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB ®

8.05 89.Jones, Thomas NYJ RB

8.07 91. Jones, Julius SEA RB

8.09 93. Addai, Joseph IND RB

8.10 94. Lynch, Marshawn BUF RB

8.12 96. Parker, Willie PIT RB

9.04 100. Benson, Cedric CIN RB

10.01 109. Washington, Leon NYJ RB

10.04 112. Wells, Chris ARI RB ®

10.08 116. Lewis, Jamal CLE RB

10.11 119. White, LenDale TEN RB

10.12 120. Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB

11.06 126. Jackson, Fred BUF RB

12.02 134. Graham, Earnest TBB RB

12.11 143. Sproles, Darren SDC RB

13.03 147. Taylor, Fred NEP RB

13.04 148. Brown, Donald IND RB ®

13.07 151. Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB

13.10 154. Moats, Ryan HOU RB

14.07 163. Hightower, Tim ARI RB

15.08 176. Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB

15.09 177. Davis, James CLE RB ®

15.10 178. Scott, Bernard CIN RB ®

15.12 180. Choice, Tashard DAL

16.10 190. McClain, Le'Ron BAL

I presume you think you are going to get a better back than one of these by trading one of your TEs? And I'm telling you I don't think you will. If an owner was willing to drop a 3rd round pick on one of your TEs why didn't he simply draft him instead of trading his 2nd or 3rd round RB to you? If you are getting one of the backs in the above list you could simply have drafted him yourself ... mostly in later rounds.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry man, I'm not buying into it. Seems like you are over thinking the situation. Unless there are relatively strange circumstances, I don't see this as viable. People can have a bad pick and go on to have a good team. In no way do I think that a bust in the 4th is going to doom someone, but I think the odds are this is a bad strategy for a draft.

You're right. I can't buy it either. He justifies it by saying that it's a PPR league, but forgets that he STILL has to stick a RB in a RB slot, a WR in a WR slot...regardless of his options at Flex. While he's drafting 2 TE's in Round 3 and 4, the team behind is grabbing some major bargains. His drafting Brees in Rd. 2 is also irrelevant, as that is a must in a QB-Heavy league. I'd hate to see his top WR and #2 RB. Too many equivalent TE's this year to go out on a limb like he did.

So week 2.

In my local, Witten is the 10th best TE, Gates is the 12th best TE.

You didn't start them both in week 1.

Did you start them both in week 2?

Have you been able to move one of them? If so who did you get in return?

What is your win-loss record?

How is this strategy working out for you so far?

How's it going this week? Start both Witten and Gates again?

I did and I won, but I have help in AP and Brees, so it's not all about them. I also won with Gates/Dallas Clark in AY2FDCBM.

To answer your question Grits, it's going well so far. I realize after two weeks there are some TE's that are higher than I expected, but I think it'll paint a better picture after 6 weeks. For the record (we'll use the Huddle Ladder scoring system), Witten and Gates have at least 12 points per game. Watson had a monster week 1with 25, and then dropped to 5 this week. Owen Daniels had 8 in week 1, and 19 in week 2. Even Dallas Clark had a 7.9 in week one, but he won me two games last night with the monster game.

It's not all about the top stats, becuase there were a lot of people that started Zach Miller and wound up with the egg Sunday. While you could claim that Brent Celek is as good or better than Gates/Witten, I doubt the trade value could come close. I may try and move one of them soon, but my RB#2 in Caddy is doing fine. The flipside to a deep TE pack this year (I'll admit I was wrong about the TE depth so far), is the RB depth is there too. I started Buckhalter and hit this week, but he probably won't every week. Same holds for the TE's that are up and down.

When comparing the extra TE in the flex spot, Gates and Witten (at 26 points) are right there with Roddy White and Steve Smith at #25 and #26 for WR, and Ray Rice and Westbrook at #20 and #21. The thing about Gates and Witten is they don't have off games that often, so consistency makes for a better FF team in the long run.

Now I need to look seriously at the Zach Miller owner and see if something works. The guy who went RB/RB/RB/WR/RB may have a guy like Ray Rice available to trade. We'll see...

PS - Cooley is looking really solid.

Edited by Thews40

I did and I won, but I have help in AP and Brees, so it's not all about them. I also won with Gates/Dallas Clark in AY2FDCBM.

I've seen your team. You lucked out because your leagu let AD slide to 1.03 to you. That shouldn't have happened. And you're living off Brees, V Jackson, & Buckhalter as well. Brees will perform well all year probably, Buckhalter probably not so much, and V Jackson figures to be up & down. Beyond that, your depth is atrocious. Ward is your likely RB2, and with what the DEN O has looked like and Marshall being undependable, Crayton is your WR2. You're in for some rough bye weeks.

It will be absoluetly interesting to watch your team as the year progresses.

I've seen your team. You lucked out because your leagu let AD slide to 1.03 to you. That shouldn't have happened.
OK true sort of, but DMD got him at #5 or 6, so that's not that impossible.
And you're living off Brees, V Jackson, & Buckhalter as well.
I am living off Brees and Jackson and I drafted them high... but Buckhalter? C'mon
Brees will perform well all year probably, Buckhalter probably not so much, and V Jackson figures to be up & down.
So is everyone else for the most part drafted after the 5th. AJ was not-so-much in week one... it happens
Beyond that, your depth is atrocious.
You liar!
Ward is your likely RB2, and with what the DEN O has looked like and Marshall being undependable, Crayton is your WR2. You're in for some rough bye weeks.
I don't factor in bye weeks at all... don't even look at them. Denver is 2-0 :D How can you predict who will do what in week 8 at the draft? If I could, they'd all have the same bye week and I'd tank that one week.

It will be absoluetly interesting to watch your team as the year progresses.

Might be time to make a trade... :wacko:

For the record I already turned down R. Bush for Gates. It was a fair deal, but with P. Thomas back I just couldn't do it.

• 4 weeks later...
So its been 5 weeks now.

Based on weekly averages Gates is the 2nd overall TE, Witten the 9th.

Has there been a single week that you started both TEs?

What is your record?

Did you manage to trade one? If so who did you get in return?

I've started two TE's every week. 4-1 in the Ladder (losing by 0.1 friggin point last week) and started Mercedes Lewis on a hunch (wrong hunch). 5-0 in AY2FDCBM with Gates and D. Clark. I like it so far and if i was really hurting in one position I could always trade Gates or Witten. I still think Gates/Witten and Clark will be the top 3 at the end of the year by a bunch. Gates and Witten have been very consistent with at least 10 every week, and Clark has carried me bigtime in AY2FDCBM. Cooley was a big zippo last week and is gonna be needed to block again (rats!).

If I had Zach miller as my #1 I couldn't sleep at night.

I've started two TE's every week. 4-1 in the Ladder (losing by 0.1 friggin point last week) and started Mercedes Lewis on a hunch (wrong hunch). 5-0 in AY2FDCBM with Gates and D. Clark. I like it so far and if i was really hurting in one position I could always trade Gates or Witten. I still think Gates/Witten and Clark will be the top 3 at the end of the year by a bunch. Gates and Witten have been very consistent with at least 10 every week, and Clark has carried me bigtime in AY2FDCBM. Cooley was a big zippo last week and is gonna be needed to block again (rats!).

If I had Zach miller as my #1 I couldn't sleep at night.

More meaningful than being 4 and 1 in the Ladder is the fact that you lead the league in points scored. Thank god for that 0.1 point or I'd be 0 and 5 in the ladder. lol

Edited by panhead55