[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Round off your starters or draft backups

fstep

what do you think is a better strategy? for example in a standard league qb, wr, wr, wr, rb, rb, te, def, k

do you prefer to draft everyone (besides the k) first and then draft backup rb/wrs or do you like to take a solid backup rb or perhaps both rb and wr backups before drafting the te and def

What do I like to do? Obviously I like to round out my starters. I think it's pretty clear that it's in your best interest to use your top picks for players who are going to be the ones scoring points for you, but things don't always go that way. Sometimes it just makes more sense to grab backups because either

A ) There won't be a significant drop off before rounding out my starters (e.g. if most people have a QB by the 6th round except for me and one or two other teams, I'll wait a while since no one is going to be grabbing a backup QB too soon. This gets me more value at the other positions.)

B ) I dropped the ball and don't have reliable starters (or have bye week problems, oops!). If I draft, for example, WR_RB_TE_RB_WR_WR but my 6th round WR is shaky, I may draft a 4th WR before my QB. This is more likely to be an issue if I wait on RB rather than WR as I'm more worried about injury or a loss of touches with RBs.

There are probably other situations that aren't coming to mind. But I'd say that unless I have sleepers targeted as starters, I want my starters all picked before I have any backups.

Also, I should note that when I talk of "rounding out starters," I'm not including PK or DEF unless there are particularly high scoring DEF rules.

hmmm do you think going after wrs and holding off on rbs is a good idea in general? i always go for rbs first 2 rounds but now that i think about it in the past i always start strong but often go down later in the season

hmmm do you think going after wrs and holding off on rbs is a good idea in general? i always go for rbs first 2 rounds but now that i think about it in the past i always start strong but often go down later in the season

Depends a lot on where you're drafting, scoring system, required starters, etc. These are two good articles to read on this topic:

http://www.thehuddle.com/x9/articles/dmd-pick-players.php

http://www.thehuddle.com/x9/articles/dmd-s...-difference.php

this is something that really depends on a few things thathave transpired over the course of the draft...

1. how good do I feel about my current RB depth? - How many quality starters do I have?

2. what RB's are available? - Should I wait another round and add depth elsewhere, or do I take one of those RB's now?

then I evaluate if I want to either...

1. find that RB who is either starting or is getting the lions share of the RBBC - one that I think is clearly better than the other options in that backfield...

2. do I draft backups to my starters as a handcuff to ensure I keep a player in that offense?

3. do I draft a random backup that I feel could easily be the starter by seasons end?

this isn't something you can head into the draft and say you know exactly what you want to do....you have to be ready for change as there is always someone willing to mix it up a bit....so you never know who will be available when it's your turn to pick again...

also you have to evaluate the players who are currently on your roster and plan accordingly......not to mention who the other teams have and if that player you want to target would sound like a good handcuff for someone's upcoming pick and if it sounds reasonable for them to do with their next pick or two (before you pick again).....

there is too much to evaluate to pre-plan....just know which players you want to target and be ready for variable change...

this is something that really depends on a few things thathave transpired over the course of the draft...

1. how good do I feel about my current RB depth? - How many quality starters do I have?

2. what RB's are available? - Should I wait another round and add depth elsewhere, or do I take one of those RB's now?

then I evaluate if I want to either...

1. find that RB who is either starting or is getting the lions share of the RBBC - one that I think is clearly better than the other options in that backfield...

2. do I draft backups to my starters as a handcuff to ensure I keep a player in that offense?

3. do I draft a random backup that I feel could easily be the starter by seasons end?

this isn't something you can head into the draft and say you know exactly what you want to do....you have to be ready for change as there is always someone willing to mix it up a bit....so you never know who will be available when it's your turn to pick again...

also you have to evaluate the players who are currently on your roster and plan accordingly......not to mention who the other teams have and if that player you want to target would sound like a good handcuff for someone's upcoming pick and if it sounds reasonable for them to do with their next pick or two (before you pick again).....

there is too much to evaluate to pre-plan....just know which players you want to target and be ready for variable change...

Good info here ^

As most experienced folks will agree, its about value when drafting and being able to adjust on the fly to what is happening around you...