[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gang green....

Rovers

OK.... not telling the family about this one.

First, no health insurance... so I Googled up a bunch of stuff. Gang green on my feet. Started about 6 months ago, but it was the dry gang green, which is basically just dead tissue, not infected, which died from lack of blood flow. It "sloughs" off, like a blister over time. Just discovered I now have some "wet" gang green, dead tissue that is infected and and secreting puss. This is the scary stuff.... it can spread.

Not sure what to do. No way I can afford surgery. That is the usual fix for wet gang green. They remove the dead affected, infected tissue before it circulates in the body. How much they remove depends on how far it spread. If it's bad, amputation is sometomes done.

I guess my real question is, what does a person like me do here? Go get it done by an emergency room visit, let my landscaping business fail, and plan on declaring bancruptcy, risk homelessness or what? Maybe my body can fight off the infection? Anyone know of a charitable organization that might assist me here?

Sittin here, wondering what my future holds, if I have one. Holy poopy.... this is scary.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers...first off, that sux my man...I am really sorry to hear this.

Secondly, a hospital emergency room can NOT turn you away. Legally, you must be examined first. Maybe you could work out a payment plan or something but you have to head out to an ER ASAP before this thing spreads.

Edited by The Wolf

Rovers...first off, that six my man...I am really sorry to hear this.

Secondly, a hospital emergency room can NOT turn you away. Legally, they you must be examined first. Maybe you could work out a payment plan or something but you have to head out to an ER ASAP before this thing spreads.

What he said. You can always deny treatment, but you have to at least get it looked at by a qualified professional to find out what your options are. Run, don't walk to your nearest ER. That last thing you want is to find out three months from now that they have to amputate then but could have saved it now. Stop reading, Go.

So glad I just ate. :wacko:

You've got to go to the ER. I'd rather have collections after me than lose a foot.

Absolutely (and I'm speaking from experience).

No, I haven't lost a foot, but I've had collections/credit issues... You can repair those over time (your foot won't grow back).

Good luck and keep us updated.

Edited by Gopher

Well... I guess I have my head in the sand here, sort of in denial. In the past few days I've had an infection in my eye, strange rashes and bumps on my skin, face and hands. I'm kinda frozen. I guess I have to make some kind of move here. It seems like... some sureal dream.

Well... I guess I have my head in the sand here, sort of in denial. In the past few days I've had an infection in my eye, strange rashes and bumps on my skin, face and hands. I'm kinda frozen. I guess I have to make some kind of move here. It seems like... some sureal dream.

scariest post I have ever read on the Huddle- GO TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY dude You don't bring me flowers...ANYMORE!!!

they can't deny treatment - and the thing is with hospital bills and no health insurance- THEY WILL work with you on a payment plan - EVEN IF IT IS $50/mo

I agree with the sentiment here. It is obvious how the huddle masses feel. I just wanted to say good luck bro. You have been on the huddle a long time. I wish you well.

Makin some phone calls. Hope to get to the VA hospital. As a Vietnam era vet, maybe I can get treated and fight the bureucrats later on. As soon as I can get someone to drive me there.... the local ambulances won't go that far.

Gonna be hard to get a ride... I just PM'd Chargerz to see if I can do this in the morning. To be honest.... my first lame reaction was to crack open a bottle of scotch. Family is out of town at the cape on vacation.

Have you called the VA hospital to see if they have transportation for you?

Gonna be hard to get a ride... I just PM'd Chargerz to see if I can do this in the morning. To be honest.... my first lame reaction was to crack open a bottle of scotch. Family is out of town at the cape on vacation.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

You really shouldn't wait until tomorrow. There are too many nasty bacteria out there that can spread quickly and cause serious damage. The only alternative to an ER that comes to my mind is an urgent care clinic somewhere in your area (if you have those). Some of them can do simple debridement and then prescribe antibiotics.

On the phone with my old doctor's office now... I can get myself there. At least I should be able to get some treatment this way today.

Do it my friend...DO IT!!!