[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time for a new bike

SheikYerbuti

After 7 years, 3 rear tires and I have no idea how many thousands of miles, it's time to put my Wahoo out to pasture. I'm hoping some of the local bike stores will be having end of the season sales in the next few months.

Looking for something in the same neighborhood of design and price. Any suggestions?

For $500, you've got to go used. I haven't owned a mtn bike for years, so I'm not that hip on what to look for specifically. Thing is, there's always some loser with more money than sense who wants to get into cycling, has to have the most bitching ride out there and then realizes they're lazy so they dump it.

Craig's list is the way.

Thing is, unlike a car, it's much easier to see if a bike is in good shape. If you can't tell yourself, a bike mechanic can figure it out in 10 minutes.

For $500, you've got to go used. I haven't owned a mtn bike for years, so I'm not that hip on what to look for specifically. Thing is, there's always some loser with more money than sense who wants to get into cycling, has to have the most bitching ride out there and then realizes they're lazy so they dump it.

Craig's list is the way.

Thing is, unlike a car, it's much easier to see if a bike is in good shape. If you can't tell yourself, a bike mechanic can figure it out in 10 minutes.

FYI: I checked Craig's List fairly regularly looking for bikes, but never saw anything decent come up. (Well, except for somebody who wanted to sell a bike for about $20 less than what I could get it for new at my local bike shop.)

SheikYerbuti, why do you want a new bike? What's wrong with your current that can't be fixed or changed?

I went to shift the front derailleur today and the entire thing was rusted in place. Wouldn't budge.

The crank makes a knocking sound any time you stamp down hard on it, even after a good tightening.

Both pedals are missing reflectors.

The chain and pretty much every screw on the bike are rusty.

The rear tire (3rd one I've installed) is worn just about down to the tube.

I could probably get all this taken care of for much less than the cost of a new ride, but after 7 years. . .what the hell. Time to treat myself to a new set of wheels.

Love my Specialized Hard Rock Comp Disc, FWIW. :wacko:

I'm not a hard core mtn biker, so this bike serves well on the roads, paths and occassional dirt trails it sees.

I bought my wife a Scott bike at the same time - it's a sweet ride.

FYI: I checked Craig's List fairly regularly looking for bikes, but never saw anything decent come up. (Well, except for somebody who wanted to sell a bike for about $20 less than what I could get it for new at my local bike shop.)

Interesting, guys out here are constantly scoring big time. I'm not in the market but I'm always astounded with what people get for the money.

I went to shift the front derailleur today and the entire thing was rusted in place. Wouldn't budge.

The crank makes a knocking sound any time you stamp down hard on it, even after a good tightening.

Both pedals are missing reflectors.

The chain and pretty much every screw on the bike are rusty.

The rear tire (3rd one I've installed) is worn just about down to the tube.

I could probably get all this taken care of for much less than the cost of a new ride, but after 7 years. . .what the hell. Time to treat myself to a new set of wheels.

Why don't you see if they have a cash for clunkers deal.

:wacko:

Interesting, guys out here are constantly scoring big time. I'm not in the market but I'm always astounded with what people get for the money.

:wacko: I saw a used Giant OCR for $450, which was a solid deal, but hereabouts it has been pretty tough to find a knock-your-socks-off win.

I would recommend getting it fixed anyways and using it for a grocery shopper bike, something you wouldn't be pissed if it got stolen while you were shopping.

+1. Sometimes I have friends or relatives come visit and wish they could hit the trail with me. Problem solved.

+1. Sometimes I have friends or relatives come visit and wish they could hit the trail with me. Problem solved.

OR....I got a bike for free for my wife; problem is she shows ZERO interest in riding...well, maybe not zero, maybe like 6 on a scale of 1-100....so I've been thinking of taking my much-inconsiderable mechanical skills and basically learning how to do maintainence by, er, "improving" this bike.

Stay tuned, hilarity certain to follow.

Should I take the ferry over for a ride before it gets too cold?

Too chicken to ride through Chicago (and Gary) to get here? :wacko:

Anytime you want to come over and ride you would be MORE than welcome!!! (but give me a month or so to get into shape--I felt like I was going to die riding home from the bike shop today)

OR....I got a bike for free for my wife; problem is she shows ZERO interest in riding...well, maybe not zero, maybe like 6 on a scale of 1-100....so I've been thinking of taking my much-inconsiderable mechanical skills and basically learning how to do maintainence by, er, "improving" this bike.

Stay tuned, hilarity certain to follow.

Are you going to ask Atomic to help you put an electric motor on it?