[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time for a new bike

SheikYerbuti

a freaking hell of a long way

Edit to add: I just checked on google maps and it seems that it is about 1.5 miles

(it is uphill pretty much the whole way though) :wacko:

Don't forget you had a headwind. Sorta.

Probably one of those motors that generates power by pedaling.

I tell people that my bike is NOT efficient, it only gets about 19 miles per gallon.*

* - of beer

I am a mountain biker so spend whatever you feel is right. If you ride hard more than once a week then I would look for a full supension bike. You can find deals check craigs list or even find your local Mountain biking social group you can find some sick deals especially with the economy.

Some bike shops will do programs where you can rent the bike and if you like it the will put the rental fees of the bikes you evaluated toward a purchase of a new bike.

I have two bikes a Marin single speed proberly worth about 1500 then I have my Pivot Mach 5 proberly worth 5K. Thank God I have friends in the buisness with the hook up so I never pay MSRP on bike parts.

Have fun!!

Edited by A.T.a.M

I went to shift the front derailleur today and the entire thing was rusted in place. Wouldn't budge.

The crank makes a knocking sound any time you stamp down hard on it, even after a good tightening.

Both pedals are missing reflectors.

The chain and pretty much every screw on the bike are rusty.

The rear tire (3rd one I've installed) is worn just about down to the tube.

I could probably get all this taken care of for much less than the cost of a new ride, but after 7 years. . .what the hell. Time to treat myself to a new set of wheels.

not everything is Aces living at/near the shore

You really can't go wrong with any Trek or Specialized due to the fact that they get cheep prices on the components they put on their frames. So when you pay for a mid range type bike your price fort aht bike will be a hell of a lot cheaper compared to as if you built the bike yourself. I hope that made some sense. Proberly not

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the bike store and tested out a few 2009 models that were on clearance. It was raining, and I was the only customer in the store so the guy said "Ride around inside the store, just don't crash into anything". Tore ass around the showroom for a while which was fun. Finally it was a toss up with the Trek 3700, but I went with the Gary Fisher Tarpon. Love it.

Went to the bike store and tested out a few 2009 models that were on clearance. It was raining, and I was the only customer in the store so the guy said "Ride around inside the store, just don't crash into anything". Tore ass around the showroom for a while which was fun. Finally it was a toss up with the Trek 3700, but I went with the Gary Fisher Tarpon. Love it.

:wacko:

Put it to good use before the snow flies... fall is a gorgeous time to ride.

This reminded me - I got a text from a buddy of mine who rode a Cervelo S3 with the Zipp tires (but probably a less fruity paint job than the one I linked).

He gave me the sage advice of "never test-ride a bike you can't afford." :wacko:

Edited by Chavez

• 10 months later...
I went with the Gary Fisher Tarpon. Love it.

And suddenly not loving it so much.

Here's the thing. . .I weigh 215 and have a slight tendency to break spokes. I'd say I've broken about 15 spokes in the last 2 years of riding. Since getting the new bike, haven't broken one yet. That is, until 2 days ago. Broke a spoke about 7 miles from home. On the right side of the bike, which means taking the cassette off to replace it. Sucks. Took off the wheel, took it to the local shop, paid him $15 to replace the spoke and true the wheel, brought it back home. Riding today, broke TWO spokes 10 miles from home. :wacko:

Done riding until I can find some sort of solution. I'm looking for some type of mag rear wheel. I just don't want to pay for replacement spokes any more.

And suddenly not loving it so much.

Here's the thing. . .I weigh 215 and have a slight tendency to break spokes. I'd say I've broken about 15 spokes in the last 2 years of riding. Since getting the new bike, haven't broken one yet. That is, until 2 days ago. Broke a spoke about 7 miles from home. On the right side of the bike, which means taking the cassette off to replace it. Sucks. Took off the wheel, took it to the local shop, paid him $15 to replace the spoke and true the wheel, brought it back home. Riding today, broke TWO spokes 10 miles from home. :wacko:

Done riding until I can find some sort of solution. I'm looking for some type of mag rear wheel. I just don't want to pay for replacement spokes any more.

Used to have this prob, get a double hull rear rim. Haven't had a broken spoke in a year and I avg 125-150 miles a week.