[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question re: Setting a batting lineup

Jackass

So i'm in a work softball team and this question came up and now it's really bugging me:

We have, say about 5 good hitters out of a lineup of say 14 or so (and yes, our team kinda $ucks). What is the best way to place the 5 good hitters? Is it better to group them together at the top of the lineup thereby increasing chances of a big inning? Space them out some throughout the lineup? or put maybe 3 towards the top and then 2 more in the middle somewhere?

So i'm in a work softball team and this question came up and now it's really bugging me:

We have, say about 5 good hitters out of a lineup of say 14 or so (and yes, our team kinda $ucks). What is the best way to place the 5 good hitters? Is it better to group them together at the top of the lineup thereby increasing chances of a big inning? Space them out some throughout the lineup? or put maybe 3 towards the top and then 2 more in the middle somewhere?

:wacko:

Have had similar troubles with my ... uh .... kickball teams. I'd say put the swiftest people at 1-2 and your 3 best batters next.

Read THIS book and learn that batting order doesn't matter. It's a hoax. They calculated that if Barry Bonds had batted leadoff the year he broke the HR record, the Giants would have won (I think it was) half a dozen more games.

Read THIS book and learn that batting order doesn't matter. It's a hoax. They calculated that if Barry Bonds had batted leadoff the year he broke the HR record, the Giants would have won (I think it was) half a dozen more games.

So it sounds like it does matter. The Giants just got it wrong.

1, 3, 4, 7, 9

also, if you have that many bad hitters, I wouldn't bat 14. go with a 10, maybe 11 man lineup.

I'm thinking something like this might make sense but i'm not sure. Is there a reason for those specific #'s?

Believe me, i'd like to exclude some players but that's not really possible.

if you have 5 good hitters, put them 1 2 3 4 5. if they're all close in terms of power, just put the best hitter first, then second best, etc. if some guys are better at getting on base (with walks or consistent singles) and other guys really rock it, put the on-base guys 1-2 and the power guys 3-4-5. there is a reason this is what they do in baseball and have for, well, forever. spreading out your good hitters just gets them less at-bats and increases the chance that their efforts will be wasted. you score in baseball/softball by clumping hits together, not by spreading them out across your lineup.

if you have 5 good hitters, put them 1 2 3 4 5. if they're all close in terms of power, just put the best hitter first, then second best, etc. if some guys are better at getting on base (with walks or consistent singles) and other guys really rock it, put the on-base guys 1-2 and the power guys 3-4-5. there is a reason this is what they do in baseball and have for, well, forever. spreading out your good hitters just gets them less at-bats and increases the chance that their efforts will be wasted. you score in baseball/softball by clumping hits together, not by spreading them out across your lineup.

+1

I'm thinking something like this might make sense but i'm not sure. Is there a reason for those specific #'s?

Believe me, i'd like to exclude some players but that's not really possible.

If you bat them all in the top 5(especially in a 14 man lineup) you may have a big inning or two but you're wasting about 4 innings a game on 3 & out. Also, by batting them in these spots they remain close enough to each other to help out and you only waste 1 inning with the 10-14 slots. The 1,3,4 also allows for the chance of a big 1st inning. Your best OVERALL batter should be in the 1 hole. And definately DO NOT put your worst overall in the 14 hole, throw him in at 11.

If you bat them all in the top 5(especially in a 14 man lineup) you may have a big inning or two but you're wasting about 4 innings a game on 3 & out. Also, by batting them in these spots they remain close enough to each other to help out and you only waste 1 inning with the 10-14 slots. The 1,3,4 also allows for the chance of a big 1st inning. Your best OVERALL batter should be in the 1 hole. And definately DO NOT put your worst overall in the 14 hole, throw him in at 11.

I don't know if you're right as i'm still thinking this through but your ideas do make sense.

I think the thought process is different than baseball because there are some almost sure outs that you don't have in baseball. I should maybe have mentioned this is a co-ed league with at least 4 females in the batting order.

Your idea of not putting the worst batter last makes sense, but why do MLB teams bat their pitcher 9th?

the first thing to do is realize that baseball and softball are totally different. At the level that we are talking about here, baseball is played with athleticism, softball is played with the head. Put your girls at 5, 8, 11, 13

I think the thought process is different than baseball because there are some almost sure outs that you don't have in baseball. I should maybe have mentioned this is a co-ed league with at least 4 females in the batting order.

doesn't matter, principle is the same. you score runs by clumping hits together, not by spreading them out through your lineup. a good hitter with crap around him gets you an LOB and that's it. I'd do some sort of statistical breakdown to prove this is correct, but if you can't already see that intuitively than you probably won't believe the stats anyway.

Take a typical team ... three guys w/ decent speed, one of whom has a bit of power ("SP1"), one has high OBP ("SO1") and one has neither power nor OBP ("crappy fast guy") ... two other guys who can run a little ("LS1" and "LS2") and have a little bit of pop ... and four guys you'd never want to see trying to steal a base unless the catcher was (literally) asleep ("P1", "P2", "P3" and "P4") but can put some heat on the ball from time to time.

1. SO1

2. LS1

3. SP1

4. P1

5. LS2

6. P2

7. P3

8. P4

9. Crappy fast guy