[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Team Names

DAP230

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bounced around for a number of years from team name to team name. But a few years ago I settled on Los Gatos En Fuegos. Could I have come up with something wittier? Funnier? More personal? Probably. But I think if you're in any leagues for more than a few years, and in my case I'm probably in my local (which is a family league) for life, I stand by picking a name and sticking to it.

If your team wins a championship, that name will be immortalized in one way or another. It should be one that you're proud of and stand behind, not one that was funny back in 1998. Los Gatos En Fuegos is engraved on our league plaque, and my hope is to have it appear as many times as possible.

If you have an investment in your team, if you want it to be more than a team, to be a franchise, in a league you care about, you should choose something and stick with it. It doesn't need to be terribly meaningful. It will become meaningful. But I suggest you choose something that will be timeless and that you can be proud of.

Of course, if none of that resonates with you, just go with Mendenhally Retarded and be done with it.

Seriously though, for humor's sake, I find these to be quite witty:

Somewhere Over Dwayne Bowe

Flacco Seagulls

The Boldin The Beautiful

I also enjoyed this article. It's just absurd enough to work.

Cream of "insert last name"

Scan a campbell's cream of mushroom label. Cut out mushroom and insert your name with the same font and type color. Then you can be Cream of "Your name"

Would that work for Tony Kornheiser? :wacko:

I bounced around for a number of years from team name to team name. But a few years ago I settled on Los Gatos En Fuegos. Could I have come up with something wittier? Funnier? More personal? Probably. But I think if you're in any leagues for more than a few years, and in my case I'm probably in my local (which is a family league) for life, I stand by picking a name and sticking to it.

I agree completely. I have only ever used a few; I prefer to stick to [place] [noun] format; having my fantasy team name just be like "I Like Big Jugs" or something doesn't really stay true to the spirit of FF IMO. Probably my favorite is my Dynasty Wars team, the Pontiac Firebirds (which is funnier if you have been to Pontiac, MI). My team in my first main local was Kyoto Kamikaze, partially because they were starting to do preseason games in Japan at the time and I thought a Japanese NFL franchise would be sweet. For free/Yahoo/pickup/non-serious leagues I usually use the name Kingston Wailers.

When my main disintegrated after 15 years, my best friend and I started a new one with family and closer friends . . . I named my team the Black Hills Thunderbirds, after a really cool T-shirt I have depicting the name and logo of the fictional "Thunderbird Lounge" in Silver City, South Dakota. The backstory is that my wife's family is from South Dakota; one time I was wearing my "team jersey" (the T-shirt) around my wife's folks and her grandma just lit up and started telling stories about Silver City.

I know, I know, none of this is funny or involves dicks or boobs. But having slightly dorky FF team names that actually mean something to me is a tradeoff I'll make every time.

And yes, seeing "Black Hills Thunderbirds" engraved on the trophy was a great feeling! :wacko:

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

If your team wins a championship, that name will be immortalized in one way or another. It should be one that you're proud of and stand behind, not one that was funny back in 1998. Los Gatos En Fuegos is engraved on our league plaque, and my hope is to have it appear as many times as possible.

If you have an investment in your team, if you want it to be more than a team, to be a franchise, in a league you care about, you should choose something and stick with it. It doesn't need to be terribly meaningful. It will become meaningful. But I suggest you choose something that will be timeless and that you can be proud of.

Of course, if none of that resonates with you, just go with Mendenhally Retarded and be done with it.

Seriously though, for humor's sake, I find these to be quite witty:

Somewhere Over Dwayne Bowe

Flacco Seagulls

The Boldin The Beautiful

I also enjoyed this article. It's just absurd enough to work.

OMFG, Somewhere Over Dwayne Bowe is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...