[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to do with 2nd & 3rd pix?

OCSkins

I've got the #1 pick in a 10-team standard scoring league, no PPR. Serpentine draft, 16 rounds.

We start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR flex, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 7 bench

I'm taking AP with the first pick, but don't know which way to go with my next 2 pix, which are #20 & 21 overall. My league is crazy for RBs early, so I think I will have a shot at one of Manning/Brady/Brees, and Roddy White/Boldin/Wayne/Colston and Pierre Thomas/Ryan Grant.

I am leaning toward going QB-WR, but the next time I get to pick all the RBs left will be in RBBC situations, so I am very tempted to go RB. And if I don't take a WR with one of these pix, then I'm looking at guys like Vincent Jackson or TJ Housh as my #1 WR. Yuk. QBs routinely end up scoring the most pts in this league, so that is why I'm tempted to take one of the top 3 if they fall to me. Otherwise, the Packers fan and Chargers fan will grab Rodgers & Rivers before I pick again. Warner might fall to me, but past him the talent level at QB takes a huge drop.

Any suggestions? Should I go QB/WR? WR/WR? RB/WR? QB/RB?

Thanks!

I'd agree to see how the draft goes but just speculating I would go Rb then Wr. You can get a qb much later in the draft, I mean rounds 5 and 6. A lot of people go early on qbs and really the only ones that should come off the board by round 3 are Manning, Brady, Brees. Then in round 4 you get guys like Rivers and Rodgers.

But you can easily snag a guy like McNabb or Palmer later in the draft and each are decent options. Don't forget about Matt Ryan who could have a big year especially now that Gonzo is there with White and that running game they have should allow for play action.

But I would go Peterson, rb, wr, wr, qb

With Peterson, you can take some chances at the RB2 spot. If available, I would likely take a stud WR which would give you a big advantage over the competition. If a stud WR is not available, I'd probably go ahead and take a Ryan Grant who I think will have a strong year.

Read The Hudde's blog on how to approach the first few rounds of your draft. Instead of eyeing up certain positions...Rate the best player in each position against each other for each pick.

Brady-M Barber-Roddy White-witten

I find if you follow this all draft, you will end up with more difference makers then if you try to go after positions.

I ended up taking 2 WRs with those pix. Worked out pretty well, check it out:

QB: Warner

RB1: Adrian Peterson

RB2: Ray Rice

WR1: Greg Jennings

WR2: Reggie Wayne

Flex: Beanie Wells

TE: Visanthe Shiancoe

K: Gostkowski

D: Vikings

Bench:

QB: Brett Favre

RB Felix Jones

RB Bernard Scott

WR Bernard Berrian

WR Steve Breaston

TE Owen Daniels

D Packers

I think Felix Jones will be a better flex option than Wells. Both can catch the ball and run but Wells has missed some time and doesn't know his playbook as well as Jones knows his. Plus with limited passing options in Dallas Romo will look to dump it off underneath and I see them running al ot of screens with Jones to get him in space.

Also I kind of think Daniels will have a better year than Shancoe. With Favre up there now he will get a lot of looks but they will run the ball more than throw it where the Texans will throw more than run...if Schuab stays healthy.

Just some thoughts, your team looks good and it looks like you can contend for a title.

I ended up taking 2 WRs with those pix. Worked out pretty well, check it out:

QB: Warner

RB1: Adrian Peterson

RB2: Ray Rice

WR1: Greg Jennings

WR2: Reggie Wayne

Flex: Beanie Wells

TE: Visanthe Shiancoe

K: Gostkowski

D: Vikings

Bench:

QB: Brett Favre

RB Felix Jones

RB Bernard Scott

WR Bernard Berrian

WR Steve Breaston

TE Owen Daniels

D Packers

I also went with WR,WR in picks 2.10 and 3.1 after taking APete #1 overall. However I do play in a PPR league, and we can keep 1 player from the year prior (at the position we drafted them), so I kept A. Johnson (HOU) at 3.1. Also we start 3 RECIEVERS, any combination of WR's or TE's, instead of your flex setting. My draft went something like this;

1.1 A. Peterson - WR MIN

2.10 A. Boldin - WR ARI

3.1 A. Johnson - WR HOU

4.10 T.J. Houshmenzadeh - WR SEA

5.1 J. Addai - RB IND

6.10 R. Bush - RB NO

7.1 M. Ryan - QB ATL

8.10 D. Hester - WR CHI

9.1 F. Jackson - RB BUF

10.10 B. Favre - QB MIN

11.1 C. Taylor - RB MIN

12.10 D. Henderson - WR NO

13.1 D. Bess - WR MIA

14.10 J. Maclin - WR PHI

15.1 SD ST/DEF

16.10 J. Elam - K ATL

I feel really strong about going WR WR on the turn around for rounds 2 and 3 cause most if not all the quality WR's will be off the board by the time it gets back to you at 4.10.

dustin20, you are probably right about Felix being a better flex option overall. I simply listed Beanie in there since I took him with a higher pick. I definitely thinki AZ has one of the easier schedules in the league, and I think he will end up starting sooner than later. Once he does become the full-time starter, then I'd feel more comfortable using him as my flex. Also, I'm a Skins fan so I don't want to have to root for any dern Cowboys! =)

In regard to Owens vs. Shiancoe, it's really yardage vs TDs. Owens gets the yards but Shiancoe gets the TDs. One TD is equal to 60 yards in my league, so I'll roll with the TD guy. Plus everyone knows Favre loves his TEs. I was the last one in my league to draft a TE and I took these guys back-to-back with my pix in like Rds 9 & 10.

jr49er, good draft and agree about missing out on big-name WRs if you don't grab them with the 2 & 3 pix. L-Fitz & Andre Johnson went in my first round, but thankfully 3 guys went with QBs so I still had a shot at some quality guys. Roddy White & Steve Smith were still there for me, but I'll take the guys with Peyton Manning and A-Rod throwing to them, thank you! Your team looks good though. Addai supposedly looks really good and could be a great bounce-back guy. For your Ds, you might want to check into the Packers or Vikings or Bears if they are available. They all have games against the Lions (twice), Browns, Bengals, Rams, and 49ers. All of those offenses have HUGE questions marks and/or complete lack of quality talent at key positions (QB, WR, or RB). No offense against your 49ers of course, but they really don't have any WRs and Shaun Hill is going to be a question mark, too.

Edited by OCSkins

dustin20, you are probably right about Felix being a better flex option overall. I simply listed Beanie in there since I took him with a higher pick. I definitely thinki AZ has one of the easier schedules in the league, and I think he will end up starting sooner than later. Once he does become the full-time starter, then I'd feel more comfortable using him as my flex. Also, I'm a Skins fan so I don't want to have to root for any dern Cowboys! =)

In regard to Owens vs. Shiancoe, it's really yardage vs TDs. Owens gets the yards but Shiancoe gets the TDs. One TD is equal to 60 yards in my league, so I'll roll with the TD guy. Plus everyone knows Favre loves his TEs. I was the last one in my league to draft a TE and I took these guys back-to-back with my pix in like Rds 9 & 10.

jr49er, good draft and agree about missing out on big-name WRs if you don't grab them with the 2 & 3 pix. L-Fitz & Andre Johnson went in my first round, but thankfully 3 guys went with QBs so I still had a shot at some quality guys. Roddy White & Steve Smith were still there for me, but I'll take the guys with Peyton Manning and A-Rod throwing to them, thank you! Your team looks good though. Addai supposedly looks really good and could be a great bounce-back guy. For your Ds, you might want to check into the Packers or Vikings or Bears if they are available. They all have games against the Lions (twice), Browns, Bengals, Rams, and 49ers. All of those offenses have HUGE questions marks and/or complete lack of quality talent at key positions (QB, WR, or RB). No offense against your 49ers of course, but they really don't have any WRs and Shaun Hill is going to be a question mark, too.

OP, from 1.1 I would really suggest RB, WR, WR at your first 3 picks. That way you end up with THE BEST RB, and hopefully 1 tier 1 WR or better!!!

OC, no offence taken in regards to the 49ers, times are tough. Crabtree really highlights our ineptitude in recent drafts, and Im sure its gonna be a while before we are contenders again.

Im hopeful between J. Addai and R. Bush I can find a steady compliment to A. Peterson. All Ive heard outta the Indy camp is how bad a$$ their rookie RB is and how Addai is done. Except just recently, I had also been hearing how P. Thomas was gonna be taking over as NO's #1 RB, but supposedly he's a bit banged up and now Reggie is looking good, who knows. In a PPR league Reggie CAN (when he's healthy LOL) be a beast, especially with the way NO can spread it out.

I feel super about my WR situation, as soon as I drew the #1 pick, I had APete's and and AJohnson's stickers on the board before before anyone else had a chance to even breath. I do worry about MShuabs health there in HOU affecting Johnsons numbers, but I think he is about as uncoverable as anyone in the league, and Im hoping he's a beast for me again.

Im also hopeful that M. Ryan can build on his terrific rookie campaign, and that he can take a few TD's away from their running game inside the 20 with T. Gonzalez. Shoot I might even start Favre a few times in spots depending on how he looks in the first few weeks (I think I got to let him play in week 4 VS GB!!!)

And with my SD DEF/ST I get the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos twice, plus Im hoping a healthy S. Merriman brings them back towards the top 10 or better. I do agree with your list based on matchups, all of those teams are currently owned in my league, but I will certainly be rotating available DEF/ST's with ones with good matchups.