[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DMD - Some Rookie Questions....

Duchess Jack

Why is Hartline so low. He's super smart and a staff favorate. He looks to have the no. 2 job down, but even if he does not it bodes well for the future.

Why is Pettigrew over Coffman and how come Cook didn't at least crack the top 3. Everything I have heard about this kid has been great.

Why is Jennings over Scott? Scott seems to have a better chance to start and is at least as talented. Has Jennings even beaten out Greg Jones?

Why is Shonn Green so low? I know he is injured and has a crowded backfield, but hasn't Jennings been injured as well? I would think at the very least that he'd be above Ringer.

Why Ramses over Robiskie. I know Robiskie has been struggling and right now isn't looking like the best rookie wide on the team, but he is coming around.

Ramses has had a great camp, but he just seems too slow and lumbering to get off the line and do any real damage. It seems like he is performing above where he should and Robiskie is performing below where he should. If both close the gap between where they are now and where they should be - even half way - then it would seem Robiskie is the better long term pick. He has been inconsistant, but Patrick Turner seems to me to be a better answer if somebody is looking for a tall reciever. With that said if somebody is looking for a big target - I'd go Jared Cook over both of them. Ramses is a big ol' sloth (albiet on with good hands). Turner is a big guy with giddy-up. Cook is a big guy with great hands and jets. He doesn't block too well, but neither does Keller and he's doing just fine.

lastly - what do you think about James Casey. Sure - he was the second TE drafted on a team with a young TE stud - but it seems like he'll make the team if only because he can be used in a billion ways. He's played RB, TE and WR and believe he even played all three in a game a few times. His dad is a coach so he has football smarts and he is a little more mature than a lot of other rookies on account of his time trying to make it in the minor leagues. I see him having a much better chance of putting up points than somebody like R Quinn.

Just curious. Doing my best Iccarus impression, I wish to look into the mind of David Dorey.

Why is Hartline so low. He's super smart and a staff favorate. He looks to have the no. 2 job down, but even if he does not it bodes well for the future.

Why is Pettigrew over Coffman and how come Cook didn't at least crack the top 3. Everything I have heard about this kid has been great.

Why is Jennings over Scott? Scott seems to have a better chance to start and is at least as talented. Has Jennings even beaten out Greg Jones?

Why is Shonn Green so low? I know he is injured and has a crowded backfield, but hasn't Jennings been injured as well? I would think at the very least that he'd be above Ringer.

Why Ramses over Robiskie. I know Robiskie has been struggling and right now isn't looking like the best rookie wide on the team, but he is coming around.

Ramses has had a great camp, but he just seems too slow and lumbering to get off the line and do any real damage. It seems like he is performing above where he should and Robiskie is performing below where he should. If both close the gap between where they are now and where they should be - even half way - then it would seem Robiskie is the better long term pick. He has been inconsistant, but Patrick Turner seems to me to be a better answer if somebody is looking for a tall reciever. With that said if somebody is looking for a big target - I'd go Jared Cook over both of them. Ramses is a big ol' sloth (albiet on with good hands). Turner is a big guy with giddy-up. Cook is a big guy with great hands and jets. He doesn't block too well, but neither does Keller and he's doing just fine.

lastly - what do you think about James Casey. Sure - he was the second TE drafted on a team with a young TE stud - but it seems like he'll make the team if only because he can be used in a billion ways. He's played RB, TE and WR and believe he even played all three in a game a few times. His dad is a coach so he has football smarts and he is a little more mature than a lot of other rookies on account of his time trying to make it in the minor leagues. I see him having a much better chance of putting up points than somebody like R Quinn.

Why is Hartline so low.- Because he is a rookie WR on the Dolphins and he has not won the #2 job nor even the #3 job yet. In the preseason games, he has a 54 yard catch that came in the third quarter against the Bucs who no longer had their first team defense on the field so it is pretty meaningless to me. The previous week he had one catch for 8 yards against the Panthers. The previous week he had one catch for 20 yards. I don't see anything in that which gives me any warm and fuzzy. It is possible to replace Bess and Camarillo but so far I just do not buy it. Reports that he will be the #2 are more speculation since they came from Twitters by writers - not the coaches. Hartline is mostly hype by local sprts writers trying to find something to write about.

Why is Pettigrew over Coffman - Probably shouldn't be. I need to revisit that one because I have little faith that Pettigrew is going to be much more than a blocker like he was in college. The reason I have not done it yet is because Coffman only has two catches in the preseason total and the Bengals have never thrown much to a tight end. I want to see something more from Coffman to indicate the Bengals are going to use him as a rookie.

Why Jennings over Scott - hard to compare two players on two different teams in two entirely different situations. The Jags are going to run the ball 400+ times this year. Maybe 450. Heck, could be 500 times. And MJD can only do so much so I am very interested in who the #2 is going to be. I do not see G Jones as an answer since even he says he is not the same back after he blew his knee. He's a FB that can block. Jennings has a situation that I like. Scott is on the Bengals who had one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL last year (not one of the best) and Benson shared very little in games when he played. Usually all but three carries went to Benson. Scott has received amazing hype this summer that I am not certain where it is all coming from other than from people who hate Benson from his CHI days and are unable to transition their mindset to what he is on the Bengals. I like Scott well enough for a rookie #2 on a team that doesn't run that well.

Shonn Green is low - I like Shonn Greene but not until next year. Thomas Jones is the starter there. Leon Washington is the #2 who will matter much more this year. There is not much left over unless Jones is out because of injury. I own him on several teams but it is a highly speculative pick that most likely will not pay off.

Why Ramses over Robiskie - again, they are on different teams, different situations etc. Plus you are comparing the #97 to the #103 so in my book they are pretty much the same guy for this year. Any rookie WR on CLE hold little interest for me this year and long term I like Massaquoi a little more so far. Robiskie must have fans from college because there are some people really looking for him to shine in CLE. Ramses is on a team that has a lot of openings on it since the Wrs are all being reshuffled there and Eli Manning throws better at least earlier in the season. Just a better situation to hold a NYG WR than a CLE WR in my book.

James Casey - what do I think? Well... not much really. Rookie TE's rarely do much and ones that are behind a top ten TE do even less. It is still way too early to assume anything about Casey who I would have no real reason to form expectations about until next year. He could be an interesting one since he is much faster than most TEs but honestly I do not see any reason to track him closely until next year.

Thanks for the time you put in to answer this David. I realize that on the 'big list' a lot of the rookies might be closer than they they appear on the rookie list. I was basing my questions off of the rookie sheet with a mind for rookie drafts in a dynasty league.

it would seem that I have bought into the Hartline coolaid.

First round tight ends are historically a fantasy bust in their rookie year (I believe the average since 2000 is 400 yards and two TDs, and that group includes the likes of Shockey, Winslow, etc.). However, Pettigrew not only should be the starter, his blocking will keep him on the field in all situations. And his offensive coordinator, Scott Linehan, has a track record of using the tight end well; see Jermaine Wiggins leading the Vikings in catches when Linehan was at the helm. So there's more upside with him than with Coffman, who needs to prove he can transition from a spread offense where he didn't play much as an in-line tight end just to get on the field in an offense that doesn't use the tight end.

2V