[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Neighbor's Dog - Legal/Moral Advice

Perchoutofwater

I have a couple of boxers, one is an older female that is an indoor dog. The other is a 18 mo. old male that is an outdoor dog. I walk the male on most days it isn't raining. Anyway up the street about 4 houses is a short haired Jack Russell, that is a PIA. About every third outing the idiot will charge my boxer which is on a leash. My boxer behaves pretty well until the little PIA gets with a foot of him then he really starts pulling on the leash. When the PIA stays in it's yard, Duke is perfectly behaved and we enjoy our walk, but when the PIA charges Duke gets a little aggressive. Usually if the PIA charges it will get close enough for Duke to swat with his paw and then I pull Duke and the little PIA may follow use 30 or 40 yards. Today it followed me for a 1/2 mile.

Now before you say walk the other way, we live in a culdesac, so I can't. I finally got fed up with it and when I finished walking the dog and had put him up, I went to confront the neighbor. I began by telling him I'm trying to be a responsible dog owner, and that I'm getting tired of fighting the leash because he won't keep control of his dog. He says we live out in the country and he is going to let his dog roam. While we are out of the city limits, and some of us have very large lots, we are still in what would be considered a rural neighborhood. Most people keep their dogs in fenced yards. I told him if that was the way he felt, and if he wasn't going to do anything about it, I'd let him have his choice, does he want me to call animal control every time I take a walk and pay $150 to get the dog out of the pound, or does he just want me to drop the leash and see what happens. His comment was he didn't care if I just shot him. Believe me that was tempting, but I'm not going to do that. Honestly I don't know if the county has an animal control, I know the city does. The guy says he doesn't care what I do, he isn't going to pen his dog. He doesn't care if I shoot his dog or if I let my much bigger dog loose on his. He says to him that dog isn't anything more than an object, no different than the car over there. Dude is totally unreasonable, and isn't going to do anything. So what should I do? Call the county and see if they will do anything about it, let my dog tear his apart, or let my daughter do some target practice on something that moves?

Duke unleashed a couple of times will probably solve this problem.

ETA: If Duke is off lead they will either fight or chase each other around and wind up buddies. Either way it will solve your problem.

Edited by tbimm

Duke unleashed a couple of times will probably solve this problem.

ETA: If Duke is off lead they will either fight or chase each other around and wind up buddies. Either way it will solve your problem.

Well, that was my first instinct. Honestly I probably would have done it today had my youngest daughter not been walking with me. I just wonder what if any type of liability I would have if Duke really tears him up or kills him.

Get some of that dog repellent and spray him. A few rounds of that and he should be cured.

RR beat me to it by seconds!

Okay first off you don't want Duke aggressing on leash. Duke is feeling very defenseless on leash and this creates a "leash frustrated/aggressive dog. This is also teaching him that aggressing is what he is supposed to do, and it becomes a learned behavior. You don't want him to do this off leash either-same as above. Don't let Duke fight this dog. Duke needs to learn "you, the leader" will take care of it. Once Duke has torn a dog apart he has learned this is how my pack leader wants me to handle conflict. Then you have a dangerous dog.

Here are some options I would suggest.

1. Go to the pet store and buy Direct Stop Citronella Spray (what RR said) and spray the dog--it is harmless but your high drive breeds like JRT's may not find it an aversive, but worth a try because most dogs hate it.

2. Take an umbrella and when the dog approaches open it up in his face. This often scares the bajeebas out of dogs. My dog academy instructor's daughter used to paint Pit Bulls with big fangson face of the umbrella, and she would resell them. :wacko:

3. Do the positive reinforcement approach. When going past the house bring really high value treats for awhile like cut up hotdogs and spray/toss them away from Duke and into the dog's yard, and he will be busy eating them and forget about Duke, and learn Duke brings hotdogs, so he must not be all that bad. This is simple Pavlov conditioning. Do this for a few weeks and all the sudden you will have a dog who can't wait to come up and see you and Duke and be friendly. Reward Duke with treats out of your hand for not aggressing, so you are showing him how he is supposed to behave. The problem is the JRT may start following you but now friendly, and be almost as annoying.

4. Put Duke in a stay and then look really large and start shouting go home and charge at the dog. Keep in mind this could get you bitten if not careful.

Make sure Duke will stay.

5. Talk to the guy again and say hey it sounds like you don't want this dog. Can I turn him over to a rescue group, preferably a JRT rescue group, or no kill shelter.

6. If you don't have animal control, call the police dept. and ask what your options are. BTW, in many towns, after 2-3 violations you have to relinguish your dog over to the shelter.

Please don't kill the dog with one of your 1,000 guns. :D

... When going past the house bring really high value treats for awhile like cut up hotdogs and spray/toss them away from Duke and into the dog's yard, and he will be busy eating them and forget about Duke, and learn Duke brings hotdogs, so he must not be all that bad...

Does this approach also work with human neighbors?

As someone who endured some of the most nightmarish neighbor episodes imaginable (I may post details some day but honestly it's traumatic to even recollect), my advice would be complete avoidance. Your neighbor sounds similar to mine -- lack of boundaries, lack of respect for others (even his own dogs?), and probably a lack of conscience. Those traits fit the clinical description of a psychopath, and you do not want to get into a war with someone like that. Once such a person has you in his crosshairs, he holds on like a dog with a bone (sorry). Activities such as destruction of property, poisoned bait thrown into your yard for your dogs to find, lawsuits or false criminal charges filed against you, are as easy for such a person to commit as a walk in the park.

Take deep breaths, let the anger pass. Consider that his dog chasing yours is something soon forgotten, while the scenarios I mentioned above are not. Don't think of this person as a human being, because in many ways he is unlike anything you are able to relate to. Just simply avoid all contact with him like you would a coiled rattlesnake. Not trying to sound melodramatic, but the things he said to you are huge red flags to me, as someone who has read extensively about this subject, because of what I went through myself.

Load your dogs into your car, drive a couple blocks, get out and then walk them. Yes, it's a hassle and involves the swallowing of pride, but you don't want this to escalate.

As someone who endured some of the most nightmarish neighbor episodes imaginable (I may post details some day but honestly it's traumatic to even recollect), my advice would be complete avoidance. Your neighbor sounds similar to mine -- lack of boundaries, lack of respect for others (even his own dogs?), and probably a lack of conscience. Those traits fit the clinical description of a psychopath, and you do not want to get into a war with someone like that. Once such a person has you in his crosshairs, he holds on like a dog with a bone (sorry). Activities such as destruction of property, poisoned bait thrown into your yard for your dogs to find, lawsuits or false criminal charges filed against you, are as easy for such a person to commit as a walk in the park.

Take deep breaths, let the anger pass. Consider that his dog chasing yours is something soon forgotten, while the scenarios I mentioned above are not. Don't think of this person as a human being, because in many ways he is unlike anything you are able to relate to. Just simply avoid all contact with him like you would a coiled rattlesnake. Not trying to sound melodramatic, but the things he said to you are huge red flags to me, as someone who has read extensively about this subject, because of what I went through myself.

Load your dogs into your car, drive a couple blocks, get out and then walk them. Yes, it's a hassle and involves the swallowing of pride, but you don't want this to escalate.

Good suggestion. In dog training we call this management.

RR beat me to it by seconds!

Okay first off you don't want Duke aggressing on leash. Duke is feeling very defenseless on leash and this creates a "leash frustrated/aggressive dog. This is also teaching him that aggressing is what he is supposed to do, and it becomes a learned behavior. You don't want him to do this off leash either-same as above. Don't let Duke fight this dog. Duke needs to learn "you, the leader" will take care of it. Once Duke has torn a dog apart he has learned this is how my pack leader wants me to handle conflict. Then you have a dangerous dog.

Here are some options I would suggest.

1. Go to the pet store and buy Direct Stop Citronella Spray (what RR said) and spray the dog--it is harmless but your high drive breeds like JRT's may not find it an aversive, but worth a try because most dogs hate it.

2. Take an umbrella and when the dog approaches open it up in his face. This often scares the bajeebas out of dogs. My dog academy instructor's daughter used to paint Pit Bulls with big fangson face of the umbrella, and she would resell them. :wacko:

3. Do the positive reinforcement approach. When going past the house bring really high value treats for awhile like cut up hotdogs and spray/toss them away from Duke and into the dog's yard, and he will be busy eating them and forget about Duke, and learn Duke brings hotdogs, so he must not be all that bad. This is simple Pavlov conditioning. Do this for a few weeks and all the sudden you will have a dog who can't wait to come up and see you and Duke and be friendly. Reward Duke with treats out of your hand for not aggressing, so you are showing him how he is supposed to behave. The problem is the JRT may start following you but now friendly, and be almost as annoying.

4. Put Duke in a stay and then look really large and start shouting go home and charge at the dog. Keep in mind this could get you bitten if not careful.

Make sure Duke will stay.

5. Talk to the guy again and say hey it sounds like you don't want this dog. Can I turn him over to a rescue group, preferably a JRT rescue group, or no kill shelter.

6. If you don't have animal control, call the police dept. and ask what your options are. BTW, in many towns, after 2-3 violations you have to relinguish your dog over to the shelter.

Please don't kill the dog with one of your 1,000 guns. :D

Just simply avoid all contact with him like you would a coiled rattlesnake. Not trying to sound melodramatic, but the things he said to you are huge red flags to me, as someone who has read extensively about this subject, because of what I went through myself.

Sugar here is #1, but matt makes some good points also. A different approach, if you will.

The dog is not to blame...it's the stoopid owner! What a jackass... "go ahead shoot my dog".

Check w/ the local codes. Dam...almost every county should have a leash law, but then this is Texas. The state that brings you secession! :D

Good luck, but "spare the dog and beat the owner".

Go to the local pound and get yourself a pit bull. Drive a couple blocks away from this house and walk your way near this dudes house with the pit bull and let the pit bull off of the leash and let the pit eat the little basturd and then take the Pit Bull out in the country and eliminate the pit bull.

This solves your problem with the little annoying dog and also eliminates a pit bull so it is a win win.

I myself could never kill a dog or even a pit bull but it would solve your problem and man I can't stand pit bulls!!

Edited by gbpfan1231

Jack Russell's are fearless IMO (yes I own one) and for that reason I would never let mine roam loose. Dude's an ass, don't let him drag you down to a point that you wind up in a lawsuit, or gunfight.

The dog repellent is a good idea..... But may start a war. let it pass, life is too short to put up with El Guapos

"Do the positive reinforcement approach. When going past the house bring really high value treats for awhile like cut up hotdogs and spray/toss them away from Duke and into the dog's yard, and he will be busy eating them and forget about Duke,"

All bets are off once that dog sees Perch's neck.

Edited by evil_gop_liars

The dog is not to blame...

This was what I was thinking the whole time. While it might be satisfying to teach your neighbor a lesson by letting your dog have at the PIA, its really not the PIA's fault. He's like a pain because he was never trained. Its not his fault.

Tough spot, but I'd likely consider the least offensive measures mentioned earliers (walking your dog elsewhere, spray, etc) before I'd call animal control or the Humane Society.

Sadly, it seems to me the dog will pay the largest price in almost all solutions except you avoiding it.

The jackass must have gotten a real ass chewing from his wife. He came by the house today while we were at church to apologize. Chris the young man that lives with us was home. The guy apologized, and said that if I'd call them before I go for a walk, they would put the dog in the house for an hour. Chris said you could tell the guy didn't want to be there and didn't want to apologize. Oh well it looks like the problem might be solved.

The jackass must have gotten a real ass chewing from his wife. He came by the house today while we were at church to apologize. Chris the young man that lives with us was home. The guy apologized, and said that if I'd call them before I go for a walk, they would put the dog in the house for an hour. Chris said you could tell the guy didn't want to be there and didn't want to apologize. Oh well it looks like the problem might be solved.

The Vick jersey worked. I KNEW IT!!

His comment was he didn't care if I just shot him. Believe me that was tempting, but I'm not going to do that.

Why not? One less POS loser in the world would be a good thing.

Oh wait, he meant shoot the dog...never mind

Re the Vick comment, that's who I was thinking your neighbor was. Or a big fan. (I can see it now: "what's the big deal? Look what Vick did and he's right back playing a game for millions....besides 'it's just a dog...' "). I shudder to think how many mindless POSs like that are out there ( I can't even watch those "animal cop" shows any more). wt*? If you care that little about the dog, why bother getting it in the first place? Course there are a lot of "parents" out there who can't be bothered to properly raise their kids or give them the the time of day either.

lol @ mr tough guy PWed though. Glad somebody has a handle on the moron. Before your last post I was thinking just let the JR follow you down the road, out of sight of their house...and capture him somehow (throw a hot dog in a van, whatever) and cart it off to the SPCA. A lot of the other suggestions were good too...

Edited by BeeR