[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How to work with unique draft rule.

Hello,

This will be a week of many firsts for me. My 1st post on this site, 1st Fantasty Football season and my 1st F/F draft.

From what I can find (or not find) on the internet, my league has a unique rule for 1st and 2nd round of the draft and I'm not sure how I should choose.

At the start of the draft, they draw our names out of a hat. When your name is drawn, you give them a name of a team (such as New England, Greenbay, etc.) and if that team has not been already picked, you then select a player from that team (no one but you knows the name until everyone has chosen) and depending on where that player falls on the ESPN top 200 list, it determines where you fall in the pecking order for the rest of the draft.

In other words, if the player you choose ranks 200 out of 200, you will have 1st choice in each of the following rounds.

For round 2 of the draft you must choose from the team you selected at the begining.

We have a 10 team league that is very generous with points and I can be more specific with the rules if needed.

Since my 1st and 2nd choice must be from the same team, I am thinking about choosing a QB in the 1st round and then a WR or RB in the second.

Should I pick NE Randy Moss worth 282.1 points and #17 on the list (this will put me near the bottom for the rest of the draft) and follow with Tom Brady #16 on the list, worth 529.5 points with a combined total of 811.6 points?

Or should I try to be closer to the top for the rest of the draft and go with Jac. David Garrard worth 430.9 points who ranks #117 on the list and then select Maurice Jones Drew, worth 317.8 points with a combined total of 748.7 points for round 2? This choice will put me near the top if not in #1 position for the rest of the draft.

Or am I wrong on both options and should go with some other choice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Ken

That is one farked up rule.

All I can suggest (still having trouble wrapping my head around this screwy system) is to take best player available, keeping in mind your league's starter requirements ... meaning, if you draw the NEP in the lottery, and take Moss, you do NOT want to then be forced into taking any NEP running back next, although I suppose (if I understand this right) you'd be able to take Brady in round #2 if you start off with Moss in round #1.

All in all, that is one farked up rule.

That is one farked up rule.

All I can suggest (still having trouble wrapping my head around this screwy system) is to take best player available, keeping in mind your league's starter requirements ... meaning, if you draw the NEP in the lottery, and take Moss, you do NOT want to then be forced into taking any NEP running back next, although I suppose (if I understand this right) you'd be able to take Brady in round #2 if you start off with Moss in round #1.

All in all, that is one farked up rule.

The rule does throw a real spin to all conventional wisdom and the QB is worth a lot of points.

1st and 2nd round must come from the same team and no one else can choose from your team until the 3rd round.

So going for the points will be more important than getting first choice in each round?

Thanks.

Ken

Since my 1st and 2nd choice must be from the same team, I am thinking about choosing a QB in the 1st round and then a WR or RB in the second.

So what happens if you get totally screwed in the lottery, and end up drawing OAK or SFO? That means the BEST position you can be in at the end of round #2 would be:

- If SFO - Gore & may as well take a flyer on Crabtree or just forfeit the round #2 pick?

- If OAK - McFadden & maybe Bush, or again just forfeit the round #2 pick, or use it on Janikowski?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that given this system, I don't think you can go into your draft with ANY sort of player or position-specific plan in mind, since you have no idea until 2 minutes before things start as to what direction you will be forced into going depending on what team you draw in the lottery. If you get lucky and draw a good team, get best player(s) available, and don't worry about draft order for the rest of the day ... but if you get screwed (as in the examples above) I'd say forfeit your round #2 pick to guarantee yourself first pick in each round for the remainder of the draft, since the player you don't take by forfeiting your selection in round #2 will by default fall outside the "top 200" list.

Good luck.

Edited by ts

holy moly i'm still trying to figure this one out....

What happens if you pick Cleveland??

P.S. Always pick the player who will score you points over draft position

Well luckily with 10 teams in the league, I won't need to choose SFO, OAK or Cleveland.

The highest point combo I can find is Brady/Moss at 811.6 projected points, then Warner/Fitzgerald @ 800.4 projected points and #34 on the top 200 list, then comes Rodgers/Jennings with 790.7 points and 39th on the list.

If I were to try for 1st draft position, I would be looking at something like Bulger/Jackson 539.7 points and # 216 on the list or Garrard/Drew (which doesn't look bad with 748.7 points and #117 on the list which should give me a good draft position.

Would it be a bad idea to give up 63 points (811.6 vs 748.7) to gain first position in the draft?

Thanks again

Ken

Would it be a bad idea to give up 63 points (811.6 vs 748.7) to gain first position in the draft?

So, just to be clear, since I did not quite understand this part earlier - you do NOT get assigned your "lottery team" by random selection, rather, you choose that team assuming that same team has not already been selected?

If so, then that does eliminate the chance of getting stuck with SFO, OAK, etc ... and then yes, I would consider giving up 63 points (or 2.25 points per game over 14 games between the 2 players?) to get the 1st pick in each of the remaining rounds, assuming that you think having that 1st pick the rest of the way is significant enough given the league rules, owner tendencies, roster limits/requirements, etc. I still think I'd want to end up with 2 strong players out of the gate no matter what, but if the "lottery team" choice you are faced with when it is your turn to declare does not seem likely to net you 2 top tier players, then it might be ok to go the other way & choose a crappier team so that you guarantee that 1st pick - meaning, choosing your team so that you land a middle round pick the rest of the way out may not be a good plan, so if you don't end up with a team that starts you in a good position after round #2, may as well play for the 1st pick for the rest of the day.

Edited by ts

So, just to be clear, since I did not quite understand this part earlier - you do NOT get assigned your "lottery team" by random selection, rather, you choose that team assuming that same team has not already been selected?

If so, then that does eliminate the chance of getting stuck with SFO, OAK, etc ... and then yes, I would consider giving up 63 points (or 2.25 points per player per game over 14 games?) to get the 1st pick in each of the remaining rounds, assuming that you think having that 1st pick the rest of the way is significant enough given the league rules, owner tendencies, roster limits/requirements, etc. I still think I'd want to end up with 2 strong players out of the gate no matter what, but if the "lottery team" choice you are faced with when it is your turn to declare does not seem likely to net you 2 top tier players, then it might be ok to go the other way & choose a crappier team so that you guarantee that 1st pick - meaning, choosing your team so that you land a middle round pick the rest of the way out may not be a good plan, so if you don't end up with a team that starts you in a good position after round #2, may as well play for the 1st pick for the rest of the day.

You got the team choice right. I get to choose.

I do have another option if I were to go more along the traditional lines of picking a QB later in the draft.

I could go with Hou and choose S. Slaton (15th on the list) and A. Johnson with a combined total of 601.8 points or maybe go with Ari and choose A. Bolden (#28) an L. Fitzgerald for a combined total of 571.5 points.

I don't think these options would give me much of a shot at the top 3 draft positions, but it would more along the traditional lines of selecting RBs and WRs in the 1st and 2nd round.

I'm thinking that if I go with Jac. and choose D. Garrard and MJD, I should still have some very good choices in the 3rd, 4th and maybe even the 5th round that could more than make up the lost 63 points. I know it is against all wisdom, but I would have a good chance of picking up another QB that is projected to make over 500 points after the 2nd round, which would give leave me with Garrard as a backup or trading stock.

Like I said before, this is my first time in Fantasy Football so I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again for the help.

Ken

I was thinking HOU (AJ/Slaton) earlier as 1 of the teams with possible good "1-2 impact" players ... a few others at random (no particular order) that come to mind when removing the QB position from the "1-2 combination" part of the equation:

ARZ (Fitz/Boldin or even Fitz/Wells)

NEP (Moss/Welker, if PPR)

DET (Calvin/Smith)

GBP (Grant/Jennings)

NOS (Colston/Pierre or Colston/Bush, if PPR)

ATL (Turner/White, Turner/Gonzo)

CAR (Williams/Smith)

There may be other team combos worth looking at that I'm not thinking of without a stat sheet in front of me ... of course, adding the QB position to the mix increases the number of 1-2 combo teams worth considering dramatically, for example, CHI (Cutler/Forte), IND (Manning/Wayne) among others.

I think I'd have to sort the FF top 200 players by NFL team, then from that come up with a list of "top 2 or 3" players by team, then rank the resulting team combos - when you have the list pared down to the top 10 NFL teams that have "1-2" players of the caliber that you'd be comfortable taking both of those players in the 1st 3 rounds of a traditional FF draft - then you have your list of "lottery teams" to work with. From there, work out the projected FF point differentials between the 10 teams in an effort to sort out the best draft day plan for you - go for the best players available, or shoot for a lesser "1-2" player combo in hopes of getting a better draft slot for the remainder of the draft.

Edited by ts

I was thinking HOU (AJ/Slaton) earlier as 1 of the teams with possible good "1-2 impact" players ... a few others at random (no particular order) that come to mind when removing the QB position from the "1-2 combination" part of the equation:

DET (Calvin/Smith)

GBP (Grant/Jennings)

CAR (Williams/Smith)

There may be other team combos worth looking at that I'm not thinking of without a stat sheet in front of me ... of course, adding the QB position to the mix increases the number of 1-2 combo teams worth considering dramatically, for example, CHI (Cutler/Forte), IND (Manning/Wayne) among others.

I think I'd have to sort the FF top 200 players by NFL team, then from that come up with a list of "top 2 or 3" players by team, then rank the resulting team combos - when you have the list pared down to the top 10 NFL teams that have "1-2" players of the caliber that you'd be comfortable taking both of those players in the 1st 3 rounds of a traditional FF draft - then you have your list of "lottery teams" to work with. From there, work out the projected FF point differentials between the 10 teams in an effort to sort out the best draft day plan for you - go for the best players available, or shoot for a lesser "1-2" player combo in hopes of getting a better draft slot for the remainder of the draft.

After reading this thread and trying to wrap my head around it, HOU was the first team that jumped out at me, especially if a PPR league, as they have two legit 1st round picks at RB and WR. CAR was a close second.

What a weird rule.

in a ten team league you have to think the "top 4" qb's are gonna be the choice of many with their number 1 wr's joining them. knowing this i would choose slaton/johnson and grab a quarterback in a later round. someone like hasselbeck, mcnabb, rivers, or palmer.

DET (Calvin/Smith)

GBP (Grant/Jennings)

CAR (Williams/Smith)

Fitz/Bolden = 571.5 and 28 out of 200

Fitz/Wells = 452 and 78 out of 200

Moss/Welker = 546.6 and 38th

Grant/Jennings = 445 and 35th

Colston/Bush = 408.8 and 66th compared to Brees/Colston = 758.1 and 33rd

Turner/White = 522.5 and 26th

Turner/Gonzo = 456.2 and 45th

Williams/Smith = 542.8 and 19th

Does it make very much difference getting 1st choice in each round over last choice after the 3rd round?

1st choice in the 3rd will still give me certain top 9 RB or WR and a very good chance at a top 9 RB or WR in the 4th. I think it would also give me a good chance at Gonzo, Witten or Gates in the 5th or 6th.

The Fitz/Wells at 78th, would give me a good chance at choosing in the top 5 of each round, but I would most likely need to grab a QB in the 3rd to get one that is near 500 points or above.

gawd, there are so many choices and since this is my 1st time, I'm not sure what to expect. :wacko:

in a ten team league you have to think the "top 4" qb's are gonna be the choice of many with their number 1 wr's joining them. knowing this i would choose slaton/johnson and grab a quarterback in a later round. someone like hasselbeck, mcnabb, rivers, or palmer.

The top 9 QB WR/RB combos have a point spread from 748 to 811 with Garrard being 9th and giving a very good chance at 1st choice in each round.

Top 7 RB points are 285-317.8 MJ Drew is #1

Next 5 RB range from 248-261

Top 6 WR are 274-317 Fitz is #1

7-13 WR are 245-273.9

It is a weird rule, but it does give you a better chance of picking the place you want to be in for each round.

Did 1st choice make any difference over 10th in your drafts?

Edited by Another Newbie

The top 9 QB WR/RB combos have a point spread from 748 to 811 with Garrard being 9th and giving a very good chance at 1st choice in each round.

Top 7 RB points are 285-317.8 MJ Drew is #1

Next 5 RB range from 248-261

Top 6 WR are 274-317 Fitz is #1

7-13 WR are 245-273.9

It is a weird rule, but it does give you a better chance of picking the place you want to be in for each round.

Did 1st choice make any difference over 10th in your drafts?

To beclear, you get the draft spot in every single round, it is not serpentine?

If that is the case, then I would much rather be picking early in the draft. That said, I still like the AJ/Slaton combo and targeting qb later on.

If that is the case, then I would much rather be picking early in the draft. That said, I still like the AJ/Slaton combo and targeting qb later on.

My understanding is that you keep the position in every round, but, I better send out an E-mail to make sure as that could make a very big difference.

AJ/Slaton are tempting even though it will most likely put me at or near the bottom of the list for the rest of the draft. If I go this way, I guess my 3rd round choice should be the best WR/RB that is left?

Funny thing about this league is the most valuable players point wise are so low in the ranks. The most valuable, Brees @539.9 points ranks 12th, Brady 529.5 ranks 16th and Manning 522.4 ranks 22nd, while #1 ranked A. Peterson is 245 points below Brees.

Thanks

Ken

Thanks

Ken

Edited by Another Newbie

Just got a clarification on the rule. The postiion you get is the position you keep for the whole draft.

I also learned that in the drafts they have held in the past 4 days, choosing a player that is ranked in the 40th-50th position in the first round has put that person at the top of the list for the rest of the rounds in all but 1 case. In the 1 case, a rank of 44th put the person in second place and the person in first place drafted a D/ST ranked at 117.