[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever been really surprised at a draft?

DMD

Just got back from one of my big money leagues. It is PPR with 6 point TDs for QBs and you can start 2 QBs so it shakes things up.

I pulled #6 of course so I figured I would take either Brees or Fitzgerald for various reasons.

Draft went like this:

1. M Jones-Drew

2. M Forte

3. D Brees (doh)

4. S Jax

5. L Tomlinson

notice a name missing? I got Adrian Peterson at the #6. I almost fell over.

I sometimes think people get so set into their strategy that they let great values pass them by since they were not planning on them. How fixed are you when you draft?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes think people get so set into their strategy that they let great values pass them by since they were not planning on them. How fixed are you when you draft?

I normally go into a draft/auction with an idea of what I'd like to do early on. However those plans are usually flushed down the toilet very quickly once others begin throwing darts at my draft board!

This is why I don't enter drafts with a pre-set agenda.

Me too. Why would you ever be so rigid in your drafting strategy? No matter how much you prepare it never works the way you expect it too. You have to be dynamic and adjust to what is going on. Unlike the owner in my league yesterday who drafted Joseph Addai with his 2nd pick!

Or the owner (12th pick of 12 teams) who picked Peyton Manning with his #1 pick and then immediately followed with Marion Barber! Still on the board:

1) Steven Jackson

2) Drew Brees

3) Tom Brady

4) Aaron Rodgers

5) Steve Smith (CAR)

6) Calvin Johnson

7) Frank Gore

8) Greg Jennings

9) Clinton Portis

Doh!

Edited by tosberg34

I normally go into a draft/auction with an idea of what I'd like to do early on. However those plans are usually flushed down the toilet very quickly once others begin throwing darts at my draft board!

Exactly. I always have my cheatsheet and strategy set when I start each draft, but every draft is so different that there HAS to be flexibility in making selections.

Recently I usually get to pick once every 2 days so by the time I get to pick I forget my stratergy. :wacko:

Which is why MFL should have a notebook you could conveniently add to the front page. I do the same thing cause I'm too lazy to grab a pen and paper, and if I do, it gets used by somebody in the house as a THERE notepad and is conveniently lost.

How fixed are you when you draft?

There's usually 11 other guys in the room / draft and I don't own a crystal ball so I follow along crossing names off until it gets to my turn, then draft based on positional need and best talent left.

This probably explains why I don't win much but never spend more than 10 seconds over my pick at live drafts.

I went in to my dynasty league draft with the 9th pick (out of 10) and set my sights on percy harvin or Donald Brown. I did my homework put spent too much time figuring out what other owners would do, got cute and zeroed in on those two players. Much to my surprise, Donald Brown went 4 and percy Harvin 5. I was startled but since I did enough leg work, I decided Hakeem Nicks would do. He went 8. I was stunned, but I had 5 minutes to recoup and took Shonn Green - who I liked more than Brown but figured he would never last until 9.

It all ended well, but I can see how people who zero in on one player WITHOUT doing research can get tripped up if things do not go a certain way.

Just got back from one of my big money leagues. It is PPR with 6 point TDs for QBs and you can start 2 QBs so it shakes things up.

I pulled #6 of course so I figured I would take either Brees or Fitzgerald for various reasons.

Draft went like this:

1. M Jones-Drew

2. M Forte

3. D Brees (doh)

4. S Jax

5. L Tomlinson

notice a name missing? I got Adrian Peterson at the #6. I almost fell over.

Every time I draft in my locals. By the way, being that it is PPR ADP at 6 really isn't that awful as he finished 9th last year. Now, no doubt I expect him to be in the Top 3-4 this year so it is nice to get him at 6 but I'm more shocked by Brees going 3rd.

I posted this in another thread. You want surprises from a local draft? I had the 4th pick in a draft last night and these were my first 3 rounds-

1- MJD

2- Tomlinson

3- Westbrook

Here are some other shockers-

- McFadden went in the 8th

- Donnie Avery went in the 14th

- Walter and Driver went in the 13th after Kenny Britt

- Greg Olsen in the 11th.

- John Carlson in the 14th

- A. Rodgers went in the 1st (1.09)

- Slaton fell to the 3rd.

- Kevin Smith fell into the 7th

- Fasano and Boss were both drafted in the 6th round right after Gates and ahead of Dallas Clark

- Lendale White was almost taken in the 3rd over Portis who the guy ended up taking

- TJ Duckett almost got drafted in the 8th round

- Name dropping was going on like crazy

- Some of the same players were drafted about 20 times because most were to drunk to keep track

But a fun night was had by all. We finally locked the Baseball Fieldhouse up and left at about 3 AM.

For Gilthorp- No my dear fellow Huddler, I'm not beating my chest in grand celebration over being able to draft a phenominal team as I draft against a bunch of drunks where only 2-4 guys really know their stuff (when sober). My posts both in this thread and the other thread were about surprise picks and obviously drafting with people who create the situations for them. I've been in this game for far to long and have faced way better competition than the guys in my locals to even remotely come close to bragging about being able to cherry pick amongst a bunch of amateurs. Now take a pill and chillax. :wacko:

Edited by irish

I try never to be fixed, which is one reason I don't like feeling like I have to preselect too many picks out in a slow draft.

Yeah, that would certainly cut down on your chances of having kids.

+1

Get your cheatsheet built and let the draft come to you.

I've said this many times before and people confuse this statement with some pessimistic meaning for take what the draft gives you. I look at it as take advantage of what the other owners are leaving you in regard to value while filling out the best starting lineup, according to the scoring system and other requirements/factors, you can while grabbing the best depth you can at RB and WR.

I know what you mean. I have a 2 QB keeper league where I got to keep AP this year, so my first pick was #15. I watched as SJax, Forte, MJD, etc flew off the board, as did Brady, Moss, and a couple other QBs and WRs... but then it got to my pick and LT was still available. I couldn't believe it. I had to check on google quickly to make sure I didn't miss some big injury or something. I had been hoping to end up with Portis!

Had my first live draft ever today, a 16 team league with co-workers and a few friends from outside work. What's crazy is I actually drafted Matt Schaub in the 2nd round. There was an early run on QBs and Brees, Brady, Manning, Rothliesberger, Romo, Warner, Rivers and Rodgers all got picked before my 2nd pick so I did what I had to do. Keep in mind though, QBs are the highest scorers in this league

Other wild notables:

Matt Forte at 1.09 - mine, boy was I happy to get this

Steven Jackson at 2.10

Joseph Addai at 2.08

Steelers D at 3.02 (D scores very high in this league)

Brandon Jacobs at 4.10 !!!!

Pierre Thomas at 6.14 !!! (everyone was scared off by the latest injury news)

Earnest Graham at 14.04

In retrospect this was just a nonsensical draft... we have pretty tight roster limits on RBs and WRs so there were a lot of players getting passed over because people were full at RB or what have you

How fixed are you when you draft?
Honestly, if I was in a league with you and knew your profession, I would think the league was fixed against me.

In most of my leagues there are some "unconventional wisdom" picks early on which throws off the expected order. I think if you get tunnel vision on a single player it might be easy to overlook an undrafted player that is ranked higher, but I'd be surprised if fixating on a player or strategy affecting multiple teams frequently happens like how your draft went.

After seeing the amazing drop in WR talent after the top 10 and the wealth of 3rd tier RB talent AND reading the first 2 picks column I decided to possibly go WR in the first round depending on my redraft pick. NEVER done that before NEVER.

12 team local, 7th year, very experienced to moderate experience, start 1-2 RB and 2-3 WR Totaling 4:

I drew the nine spot, it went like this:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Mike Turner

3. Drew Brees

4. MJD

5. Matt Forte

6. Tomlinson

7. Frank Gore

8. Steve Jackson

9. Randy Moss ( It was between him and Chris Johnson, Portis, or D' Williams) I thought Portis might last coming down and I wasn't positive about Chris Johnson or DeAngelo, I think Lendale is going to steal several TD's.

10. Brian Westbrook

11. Ryan Grant

12. Chris Johnson

Coming down it went three straight RB's including Portis just before me. Leaving me wiith a top tier QB, Steve Slaton, OR one Andre Johnson so I did it. WR WR, I was shocked I did it.

But then, it went down and back up and there in front of my eyes was Roddy White and RB's like Barber, Benson, Rice, Thomas Jones. I did it, I actually did it, WR WR WR. Holy crap!

I finished like this:

QB:

Jay Cutler

Trent Edwards

RB:

Marion Barber

Kevin Smith

Chris Wells

Jamal Lewis

Leon Washington

WR:

Randy Moss

Andre Johnson

Roddy White

Earl Benett

Josh Morgan

Steve Smith (Giants)

TE:

Greg Olsen

K:

Jason Elam

D:

Bills

Worst case scenario, I have to trade one of those top 5 WR's for a better D, back-up QB, or RB. I don't know, it just seems I have a ton of options even going WR three times straight.

Am I nuts???

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

After seeing the amazing drop in WR talent after the top 10 and the wealth of 3rd tier RB talent AND reading the first 2 picks column I decided to possibly go WR in the first round depending on my redraft pick. NEVER done that before NEVER.

12 team local, 7th year, very experienced to moderate experience, start 1-2 RB and 2-3 WR Totaling 4:

I drew the nine spot, it went like this:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Mike Turner

3. Drew Brees

4. MJD

5. Matt Forte

6. Tomlinson

7. Frank Gore

8. Steve Jackson

9. Randy Moss ( It was between him and Chris Johnson, Portis, or D' Williams) I thought Portis might last coming down and I wasn't positive about Chris Johnson or DeAngelo, I think Lendale is going to steal several TD's.

10. Brian Westbrook

11. Ryan Grant

12. Chris Johnson

Coming down it went three straight RB's including Portis just before me. Leaving me wiith a top tier QB, Steve Slaton, OR one Andre Johnson so I did it. WR WR, I was shocked I did it.

But then, it went down and back up and there in front of my eyes was Roddy White and RB's like Barber, Benson, Rice, Thomas Jones. I did it, I actually did it, WR WR WR. Holy crap!

I finished like this:

QB:

Jay Cutler

Trent Edwards

RB:

Marion Barber

Kevin Smith

Chris Wells

Jamal Lewis

Leon Washington

WR:

Randy Moss

Andre Johnson

Roddy White

Earl Benett

Josh Morgan

Steve Smith (Giants)

TE:

Greg Olsen

K:

Jason Elam

D:

Bills

Worst case scenario, I have to trade one of those top 5 WR's for a better D, back-up QB, or RB. I don't know, it just seems I have a ton of options even going WR three times straight.

Am I nuts???

Your team is awesome! I would kill for that team. You did the right thing. Is it PPR?

Your team is awesome! I would kill for that team. You did the right thing. Is it PPR?

It is not, but there is that double bonus for 50+ yards td's. Moss and Johnson should have their fair share of long distance scores.

To answer the thread's question, yeah! I was really surprised at that draft.

The other surprising thing, this 12 team, 16 round draft, with three owners on the phone, finished well under 1 hour and 45 minutes. What's that about 90 seconds a pick over 16 rounds. I was impressed.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

Which is why MFL should have a notebook you could conveniently add to the front page. I do the same thing cause I'm too lazy to grab a pen and paper, and if I do, it gets used by somebody in the house as a THERE notepad and is conveniently lost.

How do people live without stickies? If you're a Mac user, you should be on top of this. If not, this is probably your best bet. Never tried it though.

About seven years ago Tiki Barber was completely forgotten for some reason and I noticed it towards the end of the 12th round!!! Problem was, someone else caught it too about that time. He was drafted at the beginning of the 13th rd. right before I was up to pick. I bout had a heartattack......made me absolutely sick. I think he went 2 or 3 rd. in most drafts that season. Tiki went on to be a top 3 or 4 back that season. How it slipped everyones cheatsheets for so long....we'll never know.

On a lesser note the following season some dude in the same league took culpepper #1 overall. You shouldve heard how quiet the room got after he picked.