[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disappointing draft

Grits and Shins

Back in the early 90's a group of us a work formed a league. Each year we all gathered somewhere and had draft night. Quite a few years ago I took over as commissioner and we've been gathering at my house for the draft. I generally lay out a decent spread so nobody leaves hungry. The live draft with all of us in the room to give each other poopy is the single best part of the league.

Well over the years people have moved and none of us work together anymore. Some people continued to participate over the phone. Then MFL introduce the live draft room and our remote drafters loved it ... it made their draft experience much better/easier.

Then several local owners decided it would just be more convenient to draft online like the remote guys ... but we still had a majority of guys actually in the room.

Yesterday was my local draft ... I laid out my usual spread ... but as the time approach several owners had a variety of issues and in the end only ONE GUY showed up in person. Everybody else drafted in the MFL live draft room. It just isn't the same talking smack on the chat. :wacko:

In our league, we have owners in NY, CT, MA and NH. Thankfully, we plan the draft weekend about 9 months ahead of time so people can clear their calendars. Most of the time, everyone makes it. Outside of winning the league, my favorite part is getting together for a guys weekend of beer, fantasy football, catching up, BBQ and golf. It starts Friday afternoon and ends Sunday morning - draft is Saturday night. Drafting with everyone there and then recapping it afterwards is awesome and I could not imagine having a draft online. Too impersonal.

we finally got all 12 of us to together for the 1st time in years. i really think the draft is my favorite part of FF. nothing is better than someone trying to draft someone already taken & the whole place just going off on the poor soul.

that sux G&S...add me and hubby and we'll attend next yr no problem :wacko:

ETA

1. Did you send kids/pets away?

2. Did you send wife away? she can stay only if she drafts and she's good at it

3. Did you have plenty of libations?

I just did a live draft at the local bar last Sunday as a last second fill in. I didn't personally know any of the guys even though its my hangout. Most are just faces you recognize coming in and out. I must say though, it was the funnest draft of the year for me. I had forgotten what makes a live draft so special.

p.s....They were no where close to the FF geeks we here at the Huddle are. It was fun drafting without a cheat sheet and being marveled at. I was like a god. Ummmm.. Ok .... yeah.. A god.

I just did a live draft at the local bar last Sunday as a last second fill in. I didn't personally know any of the guys even though its my hangout. Most are just faces you recognize coming in and out. I must say though, it was the funnest draft of the year for me. I had forgotten what makes a live draft so special.

p.s....They were no where close to the FF geeks we here at the Huddle are. It was fun drafting without a cheat sheet and being marveled at. I was like a god. Ummmm.. Ok .... yeah.. A god.

god-awful :wacko:

Back in the early 90's a group of us a work formed a league. Each year we all gathered somewhere and had draft night. Quite a few years ago I took over as commissioner and we've been gathering at my house for the draft. I generally lay out a decent spread so nobody leaves hungry. The live draft with all of us in the room to give each other poopy is the single best part of the league.

Well over the years people have moved and none of us work together anymore. Some people continued to participate over the phone. Then MFL introduce the live draft room and our remote drafters loved it ... it made their draft experience much better/easier.

Then several local owners decided it would just be more convenient to draft online like the remote guys ... but we still had a majority of guys actually in the room.

Yesterday was my local draft ... I laid out my usual spread ... but as the time approach several owners had a variety of issues and in the end only ONE GUY showed up in person. Everybody else drafted in the MFL live draft room. It just isn't the same talking smack on the chat. :wacko:

Man, that hurts Grits. I have been fortunate with a league I leeched onto back in the late 90s. This was their league [edit] 19th year.[/eidt] It took me from 1993 to 1998 to finally get a team after this one dude had some personal issues and had to drop out last minute. Each year they come from all of the country to one of four people houses who still live in maryland. In fact, our commish in that league just had a baby couple of weeks ago and he tried......but failed to get permission from the wife. So, this was the first time ever someone bid on players remotely. I love that league. You get to choose your own team name until the league gives you one permanently. But Grits, man, that hurts. Draft day is THE day we all look forward to and it is a great way to divide the summer and the start of fall sports.

Edited by cliaz

2. Did you send wife away? she can stay only if she drafts and she's good at it
Someone has to be the beer wench.

My disappointing league is drafting right now is my oldest. My first league I joined was hosted by Stat's Inc. A friend of a friend worked for Stats so our league was free. I didn't realize it at the time but their rosters and scoring was VERY unique and I haven't found anywhere that has anything similar. TDs were 12 points, we had a overall defense as well as rushing and passing defenses, coaches, etc. A very good week was 400+ fantasy points.

Unfortunately this year Stats decided to shut down everything so we had to move elsewhere. ESPN was good enough as most didn't want to pay for something better, but they wanted to duplicate the scoring from Stats. Some of the formulas we could match, but others we can't even come close. So now we have this complete bastardization of scoring that will probably be so when I wore my first dressed up when actual data is tallied. I'm not real optimistic that I'll be a member beyond this year.