[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why so many rate my teams

weebo

I've been around this Board for many years and seen a lot of Rate my team threads..

I rarely have ever commented on them, becuase i dont understand the reason to..

I know that there are notable members that hate these threasds with a passion and i can see why..

to fully be able to rate someones team dont you need to see what all the other teams in your league are like??..

I mean isn't all relative to what your compition in your league is?

I don't or maybe these guys just need to be stroked a little and be told that they did a good job...

I've been around this Board for many years and seen a lot of Rate my team threads..

I know that there are notable members that hate these threasds with a passion and i can see why..

to fully be able to rate someones team dont you need to see what all the other teams in your league are like??..

I don't or maybe these guys just need to be stroked a little and be told that they did a good job...

As I've said in other threads, people may just be looking for another set of eyes to give an honest assessment. Sometimes people can be biased by their favorite players, teams, or even sleeper picks. They also can be looking for trade ideas or suggestions for improvement.

There are a bunch of these threads, and they can be tiring for sure, especially since some really just want a pat on the back. But I tend to assume they are looking for advice. And when I'm in the right frame of mind, I don't mind helping them out.

-Heroes

They are one of the main reasons many of the more notable and knowledgable members of these boards no longer come to this forum. Many of us have begged, pleaded and attempted bribery to have a separate sub forum created solely for the rate my team posts.

I sure wish they still allowed Grits to rate the teams, at least he was able to put them into perspective.

They are one of the main reasons many of the more notable and knowledgable members of these boards no longer come to this forum. Many of us have begged, pleaded and attempted bribery to have a separate sub forum created solely for the rate my team posts.

I sure wish they still allowed Grits to rate the teams, at least he was able to put them into perspective.

Very good idea!

It's such a short lived phenomenon to be worried about...I tend to ignore these posts unless they are from people I've had interactions with in the past...but honestly we're talking about cluttering up the advice forum from about week 2 of the preseason to the end of the last pre season game...then the vast majority of those rate my team posts are gone and replaced with the WDIS, should I do this trade, which FA should I pick up, etc posts which are far more interesting (to me at least)

WashD

+1

But I do wonder why anyone BUT a newbie to FF would as for such feedback?

If you've been playing for years, stop it.

LOL. True. I only posted mine last night because although my team looked good in my eyes, I wanted to see how biased I really was.

To the OP's question, maybe:

1. People are insecure and desperate for reassurance.

2. People are in leagues with dimwits and want to crow about drafting a dream team against their 7-year old cousin Sally and her friends.

3. People are so obsessed with fantasy football that they can't help themselves.

4. They paid their $ to The Huddle and feel entitled to post here.

To the OP's question, maybe:

3. People are so obsessed with fantasy football that they can't help themselves.

I think this is the main reason.

last year when I came to the huddle I learned the HARD way not to ever post any "look at my team" posts ever again.

So this year I have had 3 drafts already and have not posted hardly anything about who I got and certaintly I have not posted my team or any other person's team in the league because all your going to get for the most part is people saying stupid stuff like

"Man you suck wanna play poker some time"

or how about a personal favorite of mine

"I have an idea next year instead of you paying $1,000 to draft a sucky team you just pay me $500 and don't enter...there I just saved you $500!"

Edited by Henry Muto

I think people might do it for a variety of reasons, but mostly I think it's to see how others see your picks so you can get out of your own head and get a clear picture of the strengths and weaknesses of your team. You get tunnel vision sometimes after looking at cheat sheets, setting up for your draft, and then picking in the heat of the moment - it's nice to have someone else let you know what they think of your results. At least, that's what I assume people are looking for, as it's what I look for if I post one.

I think people might do it for a variety of reasons, but mostly I think it's to see how others see your picks so you can get out of your own head and get a clear picture of the strengths and weaknesses of your team. You get tunnel vision sometimes after looking at cheat sheets, setting up for your draft, and then picking in the heat of the moment - it's nice to have someone else let you know what they think of your results. At least, that's what I assume people are looking for, as it's what I look for if I post one.

I agree. I really don't see why people complain about it. If you don't want to read them...DON'T. On that note....they disappear after week 1 starts so hang in there if it is upsetting you that much :wacko:

See my point is...its all relative to how the other people drafted in your league...

you could draft like crap and go through a tonne of "you drafted like crap" responses

but really as long is your crap is better then their crap then you did preatty good...

A true rate my team post should include:

All the teams, who they drafted and your league scoring rulles and starting requirements...

that is a whole pile of work to do, and should limit the amount of posts, but that would be the only way to get true value of somebody posting a rate my team post....

The people that don't precede their Picks with "I think I did pretty good, what do you think?" are usually asking for Advice on what to do or where to go next.

People get their draft info from a LARGE variety of sources, and , although Source A might tout Darren Sproles as the Second Coming, maybe Source B says to avoid him at all costs. Asking people to look at your team is just another way of Gaining a little bit of insight on how someone else might proceed. Call it the "Desperate Need for Reassurance" if you will, but knowing that someone respects this community enough to ask for an opinion here helps to validate the community as a whole.

I asked for advice on my team, simply because I ended up overstocking myself on Receivers and Running Backs (A few of whom are untested Rookies) and was looking to see if a large majority of people would Keep Player A over Player B or C, and maybe, in fact, trade away Big Name Player "X" in the hopes of getting a better backup for another NEED spot.

What's the difference between saying "Can you rate my team?" and saying: "Is this trade a good deal?" or "Who should I start? I have these four receivers".

The same argument: "If you're not a complete FFL Rookie, Quit Asking" could be applied anywhere.

Again, this is, after all, a forum for Advice. If you are unwilling to offer any, why have it?

The problem many have with rate my teams is they offer nothing to the community as a whole. Other advice threads, such as what should I do with this pick at least opens up the discussion for others with the same situation to relate to and share their input. It helps more than just the poster. The slew of RMT threads push these more valauable threads off of the front page very quickly.

Now, if those posting RMT threads, instead of just posting their roster and saying stroke my ego, would take a little bit of time and actually post more of a draft recap explaining their thought process at the picks and who they considered and why, an activity that could generate legitimate discussion about the decisions one is likely to face, then that could be of benefit to anyone else with a similar pick in a similar setup league, and that would actually add something of value to the group.

I guess, for me, as one of the few long time posters here that still comes into the advice forum, I am looking to help the owners that are willing to actually put a little thought into their team themselves, are willing to take the time to express their thoughts, but are looking for that extra set of eyes to share a different viewpoint.

For me, on a SIMTT thread, I'll ignore those that just say player x for player y, yes or no, but will take the time to address those that say player x for player y, this is why I am considering it, and this is why I am hesitating.

I posted mine due to the fact that I was blindsided st my draft yesterday with a new 12 team league. I have never played in a 12 team league and have no idea what to look at as far as depth. True, to give a true evaluation of a team, you need to see the other teams rosters as well.

Basically looking for what I got - a couple of people saying I looked good and 1 saying I can expect to lose.

A true rate my team post should include:

All the teams, who they drafted and your league scoring rulles and starting requirements...

that is a whole pile of work to do, and should limit the amount of posts, but that would be the only way to get true value of somebody posting a rate my team post...

So, if someone WERE To take the time to include all of this info, you'd take the time to comment on it?

Now, if those posting RMT threads, instead of just posting their roster and saying stroke my ego, would take a little bit of time and actually post more of a draft recap explaining their thought process at the picks and who they considered and why, an activity that could generate legitimate discussion about the decisions one is likely to face, then that could be of benefit to anyone else with a similar pick in a similar setup league, and that would actually add something of value to the group.

See above comment.

I'm just trying to gauge the reality of these statements, because, as someone who may feel the need to ask for advice in the future, I want to make sure that I'm not somehow being a burden to the community as a whole. I'm not against putting effort into my posts, but it has been my humble experience that "Over Inflated" threads tend to be met with some sort of disdain, bordering on snobbery.

We all have to start somewhere, and people coming to a forum labeled "Advice" being met with contempt and "Shut up unless your question can be of help to someone Besides yourself" comments seems a tad bit counter-productive.

If that's the way it is, however, I would just like to know in advance.

Right now, only the very brilliant or the dumb and lucky people could possibly predict how well their team will shape up. We've all been in those leagues where the laughing stock of the draft panned out to be a competitive team and the apparent champ became a paper tiger. It's all about giving people to talk about something they love and connect on. When I get tired of reading them, I just don't open those posts.

So, if someone WERE To take the time to include all of this info, you'd take the time to comment on it?

Me personally, yes, though not neccessarily on a rate my team.

I am one of the more prolific posters in this forum, and I would guesstimate that 80% of my initial responses are requests for additional information so that any advice provided can be of the educated variety as oppossed to the wild ass guess variety, which is what the majority of responses are when they are given with a major lack or pertinent information.

I am probably in the minority of actually wanting the information that is relevant to providing a well thought out, logical response to a request for advice, be it a request regarding keeper decisions, draft strategy, trade options, waiver options, etc. Most leagues are very different that the worst kind of post is the one that says "standard scoring" or "typical setup". These days, there is no standard scoring or typical setup.

Me personally, yes, though not neccessarily on a rate my team.

I am one of the more prolific posters in this forum, and I would guesstimate that 80% of my initial responses are requests for additional information so that any advice provided can be of the educated variety as oppossed to the wild ass guess variety, which is what the majority of responses are when they are given with a major lack or pertinent information.

I am probably in the minority of actually wanting the information that is relevant to providing a well thought out, logical response to a request for advice, be it a request regarding keeper decisions, draft strategy, trade options, waiver options, etc. Most leagues are very different that the worst kind of post is the one that says "standard scoring" or "typical setup". These days, there is no standard scoring or typical setup.

Agreed, the more detail and insight folks can provide into their situations, the better advice they will get and the more useful the interaction is for the community as a whole (as it's far easier to look at the thread and discern whether or not you can apply it to whatever situation you find yourself in).