[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How long have you been in your fantasy football league?

Toledo Toxins

First year was 1994, my first pick was Jerome Bettis in his sophomore season (I picked 8th). Second pick was Jeff Hostetler, thought I needed a QB early, didn't know any better. Third pick was a good one, Herman Moore. Was a 12 team league which has since expanded to 14 - 6 of the original 12 teams are still in the league.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me since 96 had Favre as my first pick

then in 97 I took a late round flier on a rookie named Dunn that I just saw something about on ESPN about his home life and growing up where he did. came in 2nd that yr

My Dad since 87 his rules are still based on info found in the newspaper (that's the nonelectrical item with news in it that gets delivered daily for some of you young ons out there)

Line up of the 87 champs from his league- from the EFL site

"Mike, after "drawing" the ace, then initiated the league and with the selection of John Elway, qb, from the Denver Broncos. Subsequent picks, such as Gerald Riggs, Al Toon, and JT Smith proved deadly to the rest of the league."

Their Scoring

QB Points = (Yards Passed For/1.5) + Completion % + (TD Scored x 30) - (INT Thrown x 10)

RB Points = (Yards Rushed For x 1.15) + (Receptions x 5) + (Yards Receiving x 0.5) + (TD Scored x 30)

WR Points = (Receptions x 12) + (Yards Receiving) + (TD Scored x 40)

K Points =

(10 points x Each FG Made 0-25 Yards) + (20 Points x Each FG Made 26-40 Yards) + (30 Points x Each FG Made 41-50 Yards) + (40 Points x Each FG Made 51+ Yards) - (40 points x Each FG Missed 0-25 Yards) - (30 Points x Each FG Missed 26-40 Yards) - (20 Points x Each FG Missed 41-50 Yards) - (10 Points x Each FG Missed 51+ Yards).

Notice everythings newspaper friendly

Edited by TJOLIRPH

1993, first pick = Ricky Watters (as a Niner) not too bad.

Also got a kid no one really knew about as a Colts rookie named Marshall Faulk. Awesome. <-- Not sure what year that was.

Edited by STL Fan

I knew it was early on. As a Rams fan, I probably should have known that, even though we didn't get him until 1999, setting the stage for the "Greatest Show" days. Seems like a lifetime ago. :wacko:

1993 I believe. League was already formed before I joined. It was a TD-only league and still is, only we get bonuses for TD length and if RB scores via pass or QB or WR score via rush. No playoffs. The NFL had 2 bye weeks back then as I had a so-so rookie year and finished 9-9. I have no cmemory as to who was on my team, but I seem to recall a studly TE who played for the Jets and the best TE in the game played for the Pats(Ben something?).

Interesting note that in all my years and all my leagues throughout those years, I have never had the #1 pick.

1993 I believe. League was already formed before I joined. It was a TD-only league and still is, only we get bonuses for TD length and if RB scores via pass or QB or WR score via rush. No playoffs. The NFL had 2 bye weeks back then as I had a so-so rookie year and finished 9-9. I have no cmemory as to who was on my team, but I seem to recall a studly TE who played for the Jets and the best TE in the game played for the Pats(Ben something?).

Interesting note that in all my years and all my leagues throughout those years, I have never had the #1 pick.

Ben Dover was his name.

Steve Deberg, KC QB. That was my first pick. Can't even tell you what year it was. I went winless. Two years later I won the W-L head to head and total points money... which meant I won all the money in that league. Lorenzo White was golden, as was Ricky Waters, both late round picks. I rode on the back of the 49'ers that year I won it all.

We used manual scoring based on a newspaper boxscore. I was always going out at 6am for the Monday newspaper for final stats. Fun times... drafts were in a bar, score sheets had to be picked up at the bar. Waivers were done on the phone. 10 minutes to make your first waiver move, worst to first. Commish had to sit by yhe phone every Friday night for waivers.

I was hooked.

Steve Deberg, KC QB. That was my first pick. Can't even tell you what year it was. I went winless. Two years later I won the W-L head to head and total points money... which meant I won all the money in that league. Lorenzo White was golden, as was Ricky Waters, both late round picks. I rode on the back of the 49'ers that year I won it all.

We used manual scoring based on a newspaper boxscore. I was always going out at 6am for the Monday newspaper for final stats. Fun times... drafts were in a bar, score sheets had to be picked up at the bar. Waivers were done on the phone. 10 minutes to make your first waiver move, worst to first. Commish had to sit by yhe phone every Friday night for waivers.

I was hooked.

:wacko: You had stated you started in 1988. Watters stated out in 1992. DeBerg was in KC from 1988-1991.

1995. The only championship I've won in my favorite league. Favre, Emmit (25 tds), Pickens, Jeff Blake and Robert Brooks are all I can remember. Went undefeated until last week of our regular season when some of my guys sat out. THe championship got me $450. Last years champ won $1,400. I guess I should have paced myself better.

Our league started in 1994. I remember having Bettis when he was still on the Rams and I had I. Bruce when he was a rookie. We actually have had an IDP league since 1994. It took a long time to catch on mainstream. I remember having to buy the USA Today on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays b/c the night games didn't make the paper the next day. We also called each other every Sunday to put in our lineups which caused many arguments when some people would call 5 or 10 minutes late. Thankfully now we have computers so there are no disputes.

:wacko: You had stated you started in 1988. Watters stated out in 1992. DeBerg was in KC from 1988-1991.

That was a guess... so based on the astute observations of Big John... I took DeBerg, and 2 years later took Waters as a rook. At that time, what RB would start for the 49'ers was still undecided, except for a late tidbit I got from who knows where that he had won the job. Lorenzo White would come up with these very ulikely 60 yard TD catches.... he, Waters, Marino, John Taylor, OMG... can't remember the name of the 49'r TE.... sucks gettin old.... Brent Jones...

So, by default, Waters rookie year was 1992, my third year playing FF. That means 1989 was my first year. As I recall, DeBerg had a decent year for KC in '88, and noob that I was, I had to take a QB in the first round, right? I also drafted M Hodge that first year... ND connection. Like I said.... I went winless!

Edited by Rovers

Geeze... shakin out cobwebs... Lorenzo Whit'e 60 yard TD rec was in 1990, the year before I won. Had White that year... and won some money. It was the next year I won all the cash, the Ricky Waters year... and then the whole league folded. The commish went into gambler's anonymous. True strory.

BTW, this is all memeory... no internet searching. So, mistakes may occur.... :wacko:

All I remember was my first ever pick was Kordell Stewart. :wacko:

Franz

Kansas City

Kordell was the QB on my first FF team (must have been 96 or 97). All I remember was the scoring system in this league rewarded out of position scores (i.e. QB's scoring rushing TD's). He took me to the championship in my first year (Lost though).

I took a new job in 1994 and was 'required' to play in the Company FF League. (I had done some Roto Baseball before). The first year I learned the strange scoring system: TDs got points based on length, AND an "unusual" TD got DOUBLE! (A RB catching a pass, QB running one in). So the next year I picked up Eric Metcalf - many very long receiving TDs as a RB, (a 50 yd rec TD got something like 24 points, a 5 yd TD run got 6!), Dorsey Levens with a few receiving TDs, Mark Brunell who ran in a bunch, and a few more I can't remember. Won the league in a runaway. We used a software called Terry Bradshaw Football, which ran weekly reports.

Ever since then I've followed the principle of "know your scoring system"! Can't believe how many people play this game without understanding that! (Thank goodness!!! $$$)

69 year young NFL nut here--joined FF league in 1985. Ten team league had been going two years then. Really weird rules compared to today. No yardage points except for bonuses for 100 yeards rushing or receiving, 250 yards passing. Points were really money. You earned points for scoring TDs based on length of score (1-2 yards 50 cents; 3-10 yards $1; 11-20 yards $2; 21-30 yards $3; over 50 yards $5. Lineups like today, no flex no TE, but Rookie was a separate position (QB/RB/WR/even PK could be used). You totaled up your money each week and compared with other 9 guys. Differences in money owed by lower guys. Settled up after 8 games and at end of season. Big winner usually made $600-$800. One time only FA pickups (4 total) after week 8. Before internet, USA Today was essential--like today, info was money then! My first pick? Dan Fouts!

Hey Old Guy, welcome to the Huddle! Come visit us at the HOT League ("Huddle Old Timers"). At our age we never know when we'll 'lose' a team owner.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=91

Back when I first started playing I believe we only had TD only leagues ?

No trades or waver wire pick ups

After 8 games played we had a new draft where you could throw as many player back as you wanted.

Then the draft started.

QB Randal Cunningham

WR Anthony Carter

cant remember the rest of my roster