[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WSOP 2009 Main Event-Why Did They Limit Entries?

caddyman

Does anyone know why they were turning away entries? They have less than 7000 players this year. When Gold won they had almost 9000. What happened?

There were 4 day 1's. The first 2 had less than 1000 players each. The third had over 1000. On the 4th day 1 they had a massive overflow of players who came at the last minute. They set up every table they could, including putting poker tables out in the hallway, in a restaurant, by the bathrooms. Still, they didn't have enough space or dealers to accommodate the demand.

There was talk about having a day 1E (since there was a scheduled day off that day anyway), but for reasons I don't know it was decided against. There was also a lot of controversy that the "name brand" players were snuck into that last day while the average Joe players were turned away.

Lesson is, if you're going to slap down ten thousand dollars on a donkament. . .don't procrastinate.

I'm sure the reasons Sheik and Pat gave are the actual reasons why, though I could also see them realizing that it getting bigger didn't actually make it better. More yahoos signing up means that many more chances the real pros catch a bad beat and don't make the later days of the tourney. Then the chances of a bunch of nobodies who keep pulling crazy assed lucky hands out making up the final table goes up.

I, for one, do not think it's all that entertaining to watch someone stay in with 4/7 unsuited only to pull a full boat

I'm sure the reasons Sheik and Pat gave are the actual reasons why, though I could also see them realizing that it getting bigger didn't actually make it better. More yahoos signing up means that many more chances the real pros catch a bad beat and don't make the later days of the tourney. Then the chances of a bunch of nobodies who keep pulling crazy assed lucky hands out making up the final table goes up.

I, for one, do not think it's all that entertaining to watch someone stay in with 4/7 unsuited only to pull a full boat

But, seeing this made all sorts of yahoos think they could play, thus lining the pockets of the pros. It was the everyday joe winning millions that triggered the poker boom.