[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Columbus Ohio Huddlers

Vinatieri Is God

My softball team is coming to town for the National Championship this weekend. The tourney starts Friday so everyone has to fly in by Thursday night. We got a BYE in the first round and just found out we don't play until 11:00 AM Sat morning. What should we do Thursday night and all day on Friday?

Ohio State? College Bars?

Cedar Point?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

ViG

Cedar Point is about 3 hrs away I think but worth the trip if your willing to make it. Kings Island not too far away and I hear that is a good amusement park although I've never been there.

Other then that you're in Columbus Ohio, the armpit of America. :wacko:

Just kidding bunz / tosu

Cedar Point is about 3 hrs away I think but worth the trip if your willing to make it. Kings Island not too far away and I hear that is a good amusement park although I've never been there.

Depending on what part of town you stay, Cedar Point is probably 2.5 - 3 hours away. Kings Island should only take you about 1.5 hours. I haven't been to either for a few years but both are nice amusement parks. Cedar Point is much better though, imo.

There should be a lot going on near OSU at least Friday night since the Buckeyes opener is Saturday. Getting there may be a little more difficult than usual since most of the exits on rte 315 are closed for contruction.

Another area that is nice is the arena district. The local AAA baseball team is out of town on Thur/Fri but are home Saturday and Sunday. If you have time to catch a game they have a nice new ballpark. Lots of bars around the area also.

Friday would be a great day for Kings Island (about 1.5 hours away) since all the kids are back in school. All you have to do is go straight south on I71 from Columbus and you run right into it. Group rates and discounts are available online. Go early and its an all day thing for sure. Lots of coasters. Good fun.

Agreed.....Cedar Point is better......but that would be a really long drive back Friday night.

But King's Island without kids? Heaven.....lol. :D And if you are staying downtown...only about an hour and 15 minutes down 71.

College bars aren't what they once were anymore. Lots of "cleaning up" High Street. But the Short North is sandwiched between campus and downtown on High Street. Terrific gathering places and eateries. Eddie George has a place there. And just down the street towards downtown.....the Arena District. More of the same.....a little pricier. Frog Bear & Wild Boar Bar, Gordon Biersch Brewery. Unfortunately hockey doesn't start for another month. But they have a HUGH outdoor screen with some restaurant patios around it......I can't say for certain the OSU game will be on it or not Saturday afternoon. You can call and ask.

BYoder is right......the Clippers are back in town Saturday and Sunday. New Stadium...pretty nice. 7pm game on Saturday. The stadium is just West of downtown.

Too bad you weren't here last weekend.....for $10 you could have seen some High School games at Ohio Stadium. Kirk Herbstreit HS Football Series.....nice way to see the Stadium without trying to get an OSU ticket......lol. My HS got thrashed by the #1 HS football team in the country. :wacko:

For reference geographically.....270 is the outerbelt in a big circle around the city. I-71 runs North and South down through the middle.....and I-70 runs East to West through the middle. It's a big bullseye.....and they cross downtown. 315 sort of parallels 71.....stay off it.....most of the exits are closed and orange barrels everywhere. If you need to.....use Olentangy River Road, which runs alongside 315. High Street isn't a picnic right now either from about Campus to Clintonville (north of downtown). More paving, etc. But it's fine in the Short North and downtown.

Edited by SteelBunz

Vin.....when you get off the plane, buy a Thursday Columbus Dispatch newspaper.

On Thursdays they include a magazine format called The Weekender. That will list all the happenin' things going on around town. Especially if you are looking for hotspots with bands, concerts or other special events.

I'm not going to send you a link to public golf courses......I just can't believe all 12 of you would have brought your clubs on the plane. :wacko:

The Columbus Zoo is a fun place......Zoombezi Bay (waterpark) is right next door......and The Safari Golf Course is next door to that for those of you that actually brought clubs. (It's not a terribly long course...and they did put in sprinklers about 10 years ago, so it won't be like playing on concrete...lol.) When was the last time you went to a Zoo......without it being an outing for kids? I did it not too long ago and forgot how much fun that could be. :D