[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategizing for an Auction Keeper League

SatchDork

This is the 4th season of my MML. It is a 12-team Auction league ($200 cap) where you start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D -OR- 1 QB, 1, RB, 4 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D. The catch, especially this season, is that you can keep any player(s) from one season to the next for last season's salary plus $10. This has resulted in the following players possibly/probably being kept in '09:

QBs - Brees (60), Cutler (34), Romo (30), Rodgers (25), Rivers (18), Warner (16), Edwards (13), Ryan (11)

RBs - Forte (35), Portis (35), Barber (33), Jacobs (33), MJD (31), Turner (27), JStewart (25), CJohn (23), DeAngelo (23), KSmith (23), White (22), Slaton (15), Pierre (14), Hightower (11)

WRs - Moss (38), Fitz (36), Megatron (31), Boldin (31), Jennings (27), White (25), Bowe (19), DeSean (15)

I, myself, am keeping only Wes Welker for $21.

Obviously, not ALL of these players will be kept, but they are the legitimate options I see. Also obviously, all the good RBs are taken. In fact, the way I see it, there will be only 3 teams that start off the auction without a RB (myself being one). Two to four teams will already have 2 RBs. This means I'm fighting with a few people for AP, LT, SJax, Gore, Westbrook, and whoever doesn't happen to be kept. Personally, I like LT and, unless someone else has a big hard on for him, he could be had at a value (a value for LT, anyway).

Assuming I get LT (probably for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50), that leaves me about $129 to fill out 16 more positions (2 QBs, 2RBs, 2 WR/TEs, 2 Ks, 2 Ds, 6 flex). I'm pretty much out of the running for the big QBs, but there are a lot more options at WR/TE (K and D can obviously be found for a buck or two).

So, who should I be targeting at QB and WR (and back-up RB for that matter)?

At QB, I see McNabb, Hasselbeck, Palmer, Schaub, Delhomme, etc. as being available and not too pricey

At WR, there's AJ, Wayne, Colston, SSmith, Housh, Ochocinco, and TO for big names, then a whole bunch of middle and lower tier guys including a few TEs.

And what about a RB to pair with LT (or fill in on the bye if I try to go 4-wide)?

Suggestions. . .opinions. . .please :wacko:

Editted to add scoring system summary.

6 pts for any TD (passing, rushing, receiving, returning)

1 pt per 25 rushing or receiving yards (separate, not combined)

1 pt per 50 passing yards

1 pt per 2 receptions

Long TD bonuses (+1 pt for 25 to 49, +2 for 50 to 74, +3 for 75+)

Edited by SatchDork

I like McNabb this year, he has some weapons to throw to and that O-line is gonna really be great. I also like Palmer to be a great value. He can light it up and won't cost you much.

@ I'd like to have any of those guys on my team and I'd probably take them in just that order except I'd switch Colston and Smith.

You might look for John Carlson at TE to be a good value, he is really undervalued and flying under the rader and you might be able to get him later than a lot of the the other TEs that will have comparable production. I look for Carlson to be the number 2 reciever for the Seahawks.

For back-ups you might look for Steve Smith of NY, Devone Bess...for rb you might try to grab Ray Rice, Cedric Benson, Kevin Smith, Joseph Addai...I like all of those gusy this season.

Really though its hard to plan ahead to much, just go in and take the best player on the board for the first several round and then start grabbing players you have a good feeling about or think they will outproduce their position in the draft and your team will fill out nicely.

This is the 4th season of my MML. It is a 12-team Auction league ($200 cap) where you start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D -OR- 1 QB, 1, RB, 4 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D. The catch, especially this season, is that you can keep any player(s) from one season to the next for last season's salary plus $10. This has resulted in the following players possibly/probably being kept in '09:

QBs - Brees (60), Cutler (34), Romo (30), Rodgers (25), Rivers (18), Warner (16), Edwards (13), Ryan (11)

RBs - Forte (35), Portis (35), Barber (33), Jacobs (33), MJD (31), Turner (27), JStewart (25), CJohn (23), DeAngelo (23), KSmith (23), White (22), Slaton (15), Pierre (14), Hightower (11)

WRs - Moss (38), Fitz (36), Megatron (31), Boldin (31), Jennings (27), White (25), Bowe (19), DeSean (15)

I, myself, am keeping only Wes Welker for $21.

Obviously, not ALL of these players will be kept, but they are the legitimate options I see. Also obviously, all the good RBs are taken. In fact, the way I see it, there will be only 3 teams that start off the auction without a RB (myself being one). Two to four teams will already have 2 RBs. This means I'm fighting with a few people for AP, LT, SJax, Gore, Westbrook, and whoever doesn't happen to be kept. Personally, I like LT and, unless someone else has a big hard on for him, he could be had at a value (a value for LT, anyway).

Assuming I get LT (probably for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50), that leaves me about $129 to fill out 16 more positions (2 QBs, 2RBs, 2 WR/TEs, 2 Ks, 2 Ds, 6 flex). I'm pretty much out of the running for the big QBs, but there are a lot more options at WR/TE (K and D can obviously be found for a buck or two).

So, who should I be targeting at QB and WR (and back-up RB for that matter)?

At QB, I see McNabb, Hasselbeck, Palmer, Schaub, Delhomme, etc. as being available and not too pricey

At WR, there's AJ, Wayne, Colston, SSmith, Housh, Ochocinco, and TO for big names, then a whole bunch of middle and lower tier guys including a few TEs.

And what about a RB to pair with LT (or fill in on the bye if I try to go 4-wide)?

Suggestions. . .opinions. . .please :D

Editted to add scoring system summary.

6 pts for any TD (passing, rushing, receiving, returning)

1 pt per 25 rushing or receiving yards (separate, not combined)

1 pt per 50 passing yards

1 pt per 2 receptions

Long TD bonuses (+1 pt for 25 to 49, +2 for 50 to 74, +3 for 75+)

Cutler is being kept for $34? :wacko: