[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adding a Flex this year

STL Fan

OK so our local that has been around since 1993 is a little conservative and is just adding a flex. Pretty standard performance scoring, no PPR (I'm workin' on that one.)

1 QB

1 TE

1 K

2 RB

2 WR

1 Flex (WR,RB,TE)

At the bottom of this I've copied the top 25 scorers from last year under our point system so you can see that. Here's the question: Does the addition of a flex make RB more valuable because even the middle-of-the-road ones tend to score more than all but the top-tier WR, or does it put a premium on WR since there are fewer top-scoring WR?

What's your experience been?

Here are last year's top scorers in our league, minus kickers. RB and WR in bold (the "FREE AGENT" means we haven't had our draft yet and they have not been assigned to teams in our league yet):

1 Brees, Drew QB NOR .FREE AGENT. 327

2 Cutler, Jay QB DEN .FREE AGENT. 300

3 Williams, DeAngelo RB CAR .FREE AGENT. 296

4 Turner, Michael RB ATL .FREE AGENT. 293

5 Rodgers, Aaron QB GNB .FREE AGENT. 292

6 Warner, Kurt QB ARI .FREE AGENT. 288

7 Rivers, Philip QB SDG .FREE AGENT. 278

8 Peterson, Adrian RB MIN .FREE AGENT. 271

9 Manning, Peyton QB IND .FREE AGENT. 253

10 McNabb, Donovan QB PHI .FREE AGENT. 249

11 Cassel, Matt QB NWE .FREE AGENT. 247

12 Jones, Thomas RB NYJ .FREE AGENT. 242

13 Forte, Matt RB CHI .FREE AGENT. 236

14 Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI .FREE AGENT. 231

15 Romo, Tony QB DAL .FREE AGENT. 230

16 Garrard, David QB JAC .FREE AGENT. 229

17 Portis, Clinton RB WAS .FREE AGENT. 229

18 Slaton, Steve RB HOU .FREE AGENT. 229

19 Johnson, Andre WR HOU .FREE AGENT. 223

20 Westbrook, Brian RB PHI .FREE AGENT. 220

21 Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SDG .FREE AGENT. 218

22 Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC .FREE AGENT. 216

23 Johnson, Calvin WR DET .FREE AGENT. 215

24 Thigpen, Tyler QB KAN .FREE AGENT. 215

25 Pennington, Chad QB MIA .FREE AGENT. 212

Thanks for your input.

I'd say that with RBBC rearing it's ugly head on more and more NFL teams that you are likely to see more and more teams starting a WR in that flex position ... or at the very least playing matchups for the flex position.

In the days of old when most teams had a single RB then I would have been angling to get three quality running backs to start. These days, however, it can be hard to find TWO running backs to start.

I think the bottom line is ... you shouldn't lock into a position for your flex but should take the best available player, whatever his position. If I was looking to draft my flex player and was considering a RB and WR that were realatively equal then I would likely take the RB.

Ours is even more bastardized than that...but Grits is right. Best available player (whether WR or RB) is the way to go. One year I tried to roll out a constent double-TE lineup (not by choice, mind you, it was on of those 'good drafts gone bad' situations). You probably should avoid that as a draft strategy--only do that if you are desperate due to injuries or bye-week problems.

I'd say that with RBBC rearing it's ugly head on more and more NFL teams that you are likely to see more and more teams starting a WR in that flex position ... or at the very least playing matchups for the flex position.

In the days of old when most teams had a single RB then I would have been angling to get three quality running backs to start. These days, however, it can be hard to find TWO running backs to start.

I think the bottom line is ... you shouldn't lock into a position for your flex but should take the best available player, whatever his position. If I was looking to draft my flex player and was considering a RB and WR that were realatively equal then I would likely take the RB.

This all makes good sense, and I would agree that if two guys are pretty close to equal the tie-break goes to the RB. We used to be a start-three-WR league and I usually kept an extra WR. Under this system, I'll probably switch that and keep an extra RB. I also believe it's usually easier to find a diamond-in-the-rough or emerging stud as a WR than as a RB. Probably because there are more of them, huh? Brilliant. :wacko:

I think it may be difficult for me to pull the trigger on a WR before I get at least one RB, though, if I'm sitting at 7 or 8 and Fitz or Moss or Andre is available. Logic tells me to grab the WR there, but it's going to be tough.