[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bigger Money Game, How Does it Differ?

gocubbies621

I'm taking a step up and flying to Chicago tomorrow to do a 14 team auction draft. I've never spent this kind of money on FF and have to admit that I'm a little nervous. I'm used to always finishing top 3 but I would think I'm going to be in a room full of adaqute talent and possible better. Any ideas of what I can expect or anything I should have with me so I'm prepared? I don't want to be caught with my pants down!

I'm taking a step up and flying to Chicago tomorrow to do a 14 team auction draft. I've never spent this kind of money on FF and have to admit that I'm a little nervous. I'm used to always finishing top 3 but I would think I'm going to be in a room full of adaqute talent and possible better. Any ideas of what I can expect or anything I should have with me so I'm prepared? I don't want to be caught with my pants down!

just curious but what is the largest league you have ever been in(mean # of teams) and have you ever done an auction before?

just curious but what is the largest league you have ever been in(mean # of teams) and have you ever done an auction before?

In my opinion the bigger the league the bigger the priority on getting some STUDS.... You hear j2v talk about his Silo approach... the bigger the league, the less successful that is in my opinion. I would get a top tier RB and top tier WR early.... don't wait until the last one at each position because someone will overpay. Try and put your own value on players and bid accordingly..... If I really want a certain RB then everytime it gets to me, I would toss a WR or QB... get the other owners to spend their $$$ in other places

GOOD LUCK.... flying somewhere to do a fantasy draft..... that sounds a little INSANE to me!

I have been doing auctions for a few years now and am addicted. The catch is I've always done 12 team leagues and this is 14. I assume money is going to be really thin so you will have to dig deep. Do you build a solid team of say $20 players accross the board ($200) or do you need to spend early before panic hits?

Edited by gocubbies621

I would really love to hear your thoughts on going from 12 teams to 14!

how many starters in the 14 team league and how many roster spots versus the 12 teamers you have done

i was "afraid" this would be your 1st foray into a 14+ team league and also 1st auction...the fact you have done auctions before is a BIG plus...

how many starters in the 14 team league and how many roster spots versus the 12 teamers you have done

i was "afraid" this would be your 1st foray into a 14+ team league and also 1st auction...the fact you have done auctions before is a BIG plus...

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1K, 1DST 19 total spots. 6pts all TD's, 1pt 10yds ru/re, 1 PPR for WR and .5 PPR for RB's

Typical line up for me

biggest diff is that 14 teams is going to thin positions out a bit more then you are used to....I wish you luck but I think your lack of experience in a 14+ team league is going to be your most difficult hurdle...doesn't mean you can't or won't do a good job.

Good luck

biggest diff is that 14 teams is going to thin positions out a bit more then you are used to....I wish you luck but I think your lack of experience in a 14+ team league is going to be your most difficult hurdle...doesn't mean you can't or won't do a good job.

Good luck

Thanks! My biggest concern with 14 teams is do I jump on big payers early or let people spend their money and clean up the middle rounds

Thanks! My biggest concern with 14 teams is do I jump on big payers early or let people spend their money and clean up the middle rounds

Same concern you have with a 12-teamer, just now their are two additional teams, thus, that much more money in the "total pool" to throw at players. So, while each individual team essentially has the same amount of money, there is now about a 16% increase in the total amount of money available to be spent (granted, the same increase in total players auctioned off as well, but a stud is a stud).

I would say that you should tend towards whichever strategy has worked for you in a 12-team auction (load up on studs or focus on the mid range value).

My auction league was 12 teams for several years before switching to 14 teams 3 years ago. Our scoring and rostrs are the same except we only have a 7 man bench. Alot depends on the experience and skill level of the other owners. If its a competitive league forget about trying to wait for "steals" in a 14 team league. I would also advise you to tier your players. You NEVER want to be bidding on the last player in a tier with the intent of getting him. The last player in the top tier will always go for over value. As an example this year Colston and Welker went for the same amount as Wayne and S Smith because they were the last 2 "#1" WR tobe put up and anyone who didnt have one went nuts. The players who tend to be a good value are the L Coles, D mason type guys who hae been around forever and are boring but still produce. My typical auction team would look something like middle tier QB, 1 stud RB and 2 cheaper high upsideRb (FJones, L McCoy, A Bradshaw, L Washington types), 1 stud WR( no worse than Colston, Jennings, Welker) 2 boring solid old guys( Mason, Cotchery, Coles) and a couple cheap upside young WR (T Ginn, D Hixon, P Harvin). I also look at the TE position and say " I want no worse than X player here, usually a Cooley, O Daniels type). This gives you a decent mix of proven productionand high upside guys. I typically buy my stud RB and WR very early. While you need to do your predraft values dont be afraid to go an extra dollar or 2 early to get your guy. If you wait for the last :"stud" at RB or WR you will end up saying "hell I couldve gotten MJD for what I had 2 pay for C Johnson, F Gore etc. Good luck and hope this helps