[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do I go about drafting a team with this type of setup?

TimmyB

Hello all,

I apologize first hand if this seems like a simple no brainier. I tried reading back about 10 pages and also did a search but came up empty.

I'm really trying to figure out how my draft strategy should be for this type of league.

Roster positions

QB, RB, RB, W/T, W/T, W/T, Q/W/R/T (Flex), K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Scoring:

Passing Yards: 50 yards per point; 5 points at 400 yards

Passing TD: 6pts

Rushing Yards: 20 yards per point; 5 points at 175 yards

Rushing TD: 6pts

Reception yards: 25 yards per point; 5 points at 225 yards

Reception TD: 6pts

Everything else is pretty standard.

So my question is, should I go with this option: RB / RB / WR or QB / WR or QB

Or should I go more with this option: RB / WR / QB / WR

Or even this option: WR / WR / RB / QB

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Caveat: You have to remain flexible to the events of your draft day, and be open to value when it presents itself.

I ignore the rush/rec bonus but think the pass bonus is attainable for Brady/Brees. This is TD heavy scoring, and starting QBs with 6 pt passing skews scoring to QBs. I'd be tempted to fill out my QB and RB starters before going WR in this format. QB/RB/RB/QB perhaps. If I can't get Brees/Brady I may go RB first then QB 2nd unless a really nice RB falls to your 2nd pick. But I really see a separation between the top 4 QBs and the rest and I go for one of them.

I know some may say that you should wait for QBs but I think that people behind you won't be smart enough to avoid following the QB RB rush. Instead they will take scraps, leaving you with decent WR options to go with your solid RB/QB core.

Depends a little on what you know about the guys in your league.

Absolutely agree with you on your caveat.

This is the 3rd year for this league but the commish has changed things up this year and added the flex position which makes me think that for most of the year if not all, I should be starting 2 QB's on the roster. Correct?

In the past couple of years, usually the top two QB's have been gone in the 1st round. I know that the person in the last spot (10th) will go QB / WR as he has done it before however with the change this year, it's hard to say.

Thanks for the input. You really have me thinking about getting a top tier QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

There have been a couple posts earlier this season about leagues with a very similar setup. The value concept that gets wacky is that the first QB you draft, ie your QB starter, will have a lot less value than the 2nd QB you draft that you likely should be starting at flex (double check the scoring from last year, but even with yardage scoring a bit lower than standard, I would guess that QBs still outscore the other positions by a decent margin on the whole).

So, essentially with the option to start a QB at flex, I would reccomend getting two relatively early, but there is no great need to jump on one in the first round unless you think that a Brees/Brady is going to come close to another career year and really far and away outscore the other QBs. You don't mention if this is PPR league or not, but, assuming not, the slight advantage to RBs in rushing yardage scoring and the requirement to start 2 will give them a bit of a value advantage over WRs.

IMO, if no QBs are gone when your pick comes up, then go with a QB if you believe one will truly outscore the others by a good margin. If not, then I would go best available RB. If any QBs are taken, I probably go with the better RB that has fallen and then re-evaluate the options in the second.

My personal predictions do not have one of those top 3-4 QBs far and away outscoring the others, so I do not see many scenarios that would lead me towards QB in the first. If you are in a PPR, I would add WRs into the mix in the 2nd round if one of the elite guys is still there.

The key thing is to look at your historical scoring to confirm my suspicions that QBs tend to score high overall compared to the other positions, as that would dictate that you get your 2nd QB relatively early to utilize in the flex.

All, thank you for the feedback, it's really good stuff! Please keep it coming (draft is actually later tonight).

Big Country - it's a non-PPR league. And generally QB's have been the major points scorers for teams with RB next then WR.

Certainly a quandary as to how to draft so hopefully everyone can see why this is a bit puzzling.

Perhaps one route to go would be RB / QB / RB / QB / WR ?

I could also very easily see Brees and Brady being off the board by the 1st pick which may leave me with the choice of Chris Johnson / DeAngelo Williams / Matt Forte. That seems to be a pickle to me right off the bat.

All, thank you for the feedback, it's really good stuff! Please keep it coming (draft is actually later tonight).

Big Country - it's a non-PPR league. And generally QB's have been the major points scorers for teams with RB next then WR.

Certainly a quandary as to how to draft so hopefully everyone can see why this is a bit puzzling.

Perhaps one route to go would be RB / QB / RB / QB / WR ?

I could also very easily see Brees and Brady being off the board by the 1st pick which may leave me with the choice of Chris Johnson / DeAngelo Williams / Matt Forte. That seems to be a pickle to me right off the bat.

Those would be good RBs if the two QBs are gone. It really depends on the experience and savvy of the drafters in your league. I expect that most casual FF fans can't help but follow the QB rush.

Another reason, to wait on W/T is that because TEs are not mandatory, your receiver pool is larger and sometimes people sleep on the mid-tier TEs as viable receiving options. They use website or magazine rankings that do not rank the TEs combined with the WRs.

Just my experience, though.

-Heroes