[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eldra Buckley

i_am_the_swammi

OK, here's my homer reach for the year. Someone to stash away and hope for the best.

Eldra Buckley iwas claimed off waivers from the Chargers in the offseason, has really impressed thus far, and now seems a lock ot make the team ahead of Booker as the 3rd RB. He is a Marion Barber-type runner, a thick RB that runs north-south and has been used all preaseason in short-yardage situations. He is a stud on special teams, which has given him a hugh edge on Booker for the roster spot.

Now his fantasy value could come in the form of being the short-yardage/goalline RB. The Eagles drafted Tony Hunt last year to take on this role, but he failed miserably (as did the Eagles red zone offense, again in the bottom 6 of the league). They drafted McCoy to be the heir-apparent to Westbrook, but neither back is a move-the-pile type of runner that can pick up a yard or two in any scenario.....Buckley is.

Don't be surprised to see, as the season progresses, Buckley to take on the vulture role.....a scenario that will have Westbrook owners seething.

Buckley was a practice squad player for the Bolts for the past 2 years. I doubt he makes the club Swammi.

I will wager you whatever you want that he makes the team. He has had a huge camp. He has been the short-yardage RB with the first team. Only possible way he doesn't make the team is if the Eagles end up keeping 4 QBs, and an extra OL....and go with just West/McCoy/Weaver at RB (which would be paper-thin).

From PhiladelphiaEagles.com:

Special Teams May Determine 3rd RB

August 30, 2009 | Last Updated: 8/30/09 5:12 PM ET |

The third halfback is called upon to work in all phases of special teams, and right now Eldra Buckley may have have the edge. At least that was the indication given by both offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and special teams coordinator Ted Daisher on Sunday.

"Eldra Buckley has been excellent covering kicks and doing all the things that he does," Daisher said.

Buckley, who toiled on the Chargers practice squad the last two seasons, ripped off a 45-yard run on his first carry during the initial day of full contact at training camp and has not let up since. A hard runner, he has rushed for 41 yards in the preseason and added another 89 yards receiving. He also has two touchdowns among his 26 preseason touches.

"Eldra will play in this league. I don't think there's any question about that," Mornhinweg said. "He's a fine football player and a heck of a special teams player."

Booker, meanwhile, has had 15 touches during the preseason. However, not one of them came in Thursday's win over Jacksonville. That being said, Booker refuses to get caught up in the numbers game.

"I don't look at it like I'm in a battle," said Booker, who has two years worth of experience on his side. "That's my teammate. That's the bottom line. When he does great, I pat him on the back just like I do with LeSean (McCoy) and everybody else. It's not like we can't be friends. Sure, he wants to make the team. I want to make the team. Who's to say we both can't make the team.

"It's pointless to think about things that you don't know about. Worrying about what other people are doing and thinking, that does me no good because at the end of the day I don't have control over anything that happens. I don't know what they're talking about up there (in the front office), I don't know what they're thinking."

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Unless you know something I do not about Booker, then again...you are the Swammi.

Booker openly said he needed to have a big night last night to make the team ahead of Buckley.

His line: 10 rushes, 37 yards....1 reception, -3 yards.

Booker was brought in last year to back-up Westy. McCoy now has that role.

Booker openly said he needed to have a big night last night to make the team ahead of Buckley.

His line: 10 rushes, 37 yards....1 reception, -3 yards.

Booker was brought in last year to back-up Westy. McCoy now has that role.

Buckley will more than likely make the team, but not to fill any gaps in the RB slot. His primary role, if kept will be on special teams.

I thought Weaver was the short yardage/goal line RB?

FB role, but to date, nothing has been said he would be that guy that would handle the 3rd-n-1/goalline carries. He has been injured the last couple weeks, which as opened the door for Buckley to step in and thrive as a the short-yardage back.

Like I said, he is a very deep sleeper, and likely doesn't warrant a spot on anyone's radar unless its a 14-16 team league. Just saying that he could possibly take on the Redman role of the Steelers as the year progresses, and most importantly, take some potential TDs away from Westy.

Swammi, do you think they will keep Amendola?

I think the kid has done just about everything he could to make the team. Definitley a Rudy/Papale type player that coaches love to have around to motivate other players.

Sadly, I think he's a victim of the numbers.....he's likley the 56-57th player right now, and I'm not sure what other position you weaken to make room for him.

Buckley made the squad, as I thought he would. Some guys he beat out that many thought would be on the 53-man roster:

The Eagles waived ... CB Trae Williams, CB Jack Ikegwuonu, DE Bryan Smith, DE Josh Gaines, LB Tank Daniels, FS Reshard Langford, WR Danny Amendola, RB Lorenzo Booker, C Dallas Reynolds, G Paul Fanaika, G Mike Gibson, TE Rob Myers, FB Marcus Mailei and FB Kyle Eckel. These players are now subject to waivers.

Trust in the swammi. :wacko: