[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Accidental trade

satelliteoflovegm

I accidentally got hammered on Jack and Cokes the night after my first draft ever and traded Brett Favre and Cris Carter for Chris Warren and Jeff Blake. Then watched Favre proceed to throw 38 TDs and Chris Warren stumble through a crappy season.

However, with regard to the actual issue, when commish, I prefer to assume everyone's an adult and doing this for fun. If it is abundantly obvious that someone didn't intend to accept the trade and just hit the wrong button, I can't see why you have to stick him with it. Some whiner may bring up the slippery slope deal but it's not one because the guy wrote a very detailed reason why he didn't want the trade right off the bat, not after the fact. Had he simply hit the button and not written anything and then claimed, even right away, that he didn't want to, that would be another issue entirely. Not an open and shut case, mind you, but one where you'd be rather inclined to say tough luck.

Edited by detlef

So long as the error was brought to your/the league's attention right away, a mistaken trade should always get reversed IMO.

I found the language odd with-in a hour of it being accepted and getting it emailed to me, then I contacted them and with-in an hour they both responded.

I accidentally got hammered on Jack and Cokes the night after my first draft ever and traded Brett Favre and Cris Carter for Chris Warren and Jeff Blake. Then watched Favre proceed to throw 38 TDs and Chris Warren stumble through a crappy season.

Nothing accidental about good booze, my mouth started to water. When I put the powertools away Jack it is.

Yes but in 11.2 it goes on to say that the commish can reverse a roster move made in error.

if both parties say it was an accident you have to reverse it.

If both parties agree that the trade was made on accident, why don't they just trade back and bypass an commish decision?

If both parties agree that the trade was made on accident, why don't they just trade back and bypass an commish decision?

Accident yes, but if he could do it without sounding like a jerk the one guy really wants Jackson. He just isn't going to fight about it very hard

Tough spot...good news is it sounds like you have, at least, two very cool owners. And if they are indeed cool, they will abide by whatever decision you invoke.

Thus, it sounds like your biggest concern should be the long-term ramifications of your decision, and the fact that your ruling here will lay precedent for future rulings of similar circumstance (and cement your credibility).

I think you go by the book, and reverse the trade, citing the rule that it was made in error. I think the league will agree with your ruling, and your status on ruling on future issues will not be compromised.

It would then be very cool if, once reversed, the Jackson owner sent the same trade offer to the Gonzales owner. If not, then you know for sure that the trade was indeed a mistake, since he obviously didn't want it consumated.

At worst, you have maintained order.

Tough spot...good news is it sounds like you have, at least, two very cool owners. And if they are indeed cool, they will abide by whatever decision you invoke.

Thus, it sounds like your biggest concern should be the long-term ramifications of your decision, and the fact that your ruling here will lay precedent for future rulings of similar circumstance (and cement your credibility).

I think you go by the book, and reverse the trade, citing the rule that it was made in error. I think the league will agree with your ruling, and your status on ruling on future issues will not be compromised.

It would then be very cool if, once reversed, the Jackson owner sent the same trade offer to the Gonzales owner. If not, then you know for sure that the trade was indeed a mistake, since he obviously didn't want it consumated.

Well said.

If you act like a "machine", then you don't allow your owners to act like humans. Your owners are humans. They make mistakes. The fact that one owner's note demonstrates that he did not want to do perform the trade, clearly shows that accepting the trade was an error. Are we in agreement with that last statement or is it in question? I would base my decision on that question alone. If both owners agree that the hitting accept was an accident, then I would say reverse the trade. If one owner doesn't care what the note says or interprets it differently, and wants the trade to be processed, then let it go through. But if both owners agree that the intent was never to process the trade, and it was clearly an accident based on the written note that accompanied the trade, then I think common sense should prevail and the trade should be reversed. How can you go wrong when everyone is in agreement?

Regarding precedence, yes, this is risky, but Roger Goodell handles all kinds of issues on a case-by-case basis. Considering how long this league has been around, I think your credibility is solid. I know you have new owners, but I suggest you not act like a "machine" and let common sense prevail. Remember, the intent is to have fun. Going with common sense keeps it fun.

Whatever decision you make, this is a great opportunity to demonstrate the need for a commissioner.

Edited by electricrelish

• 2 weeks later...