[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did I just screw myself by making this trade?

FinZone

Well, if you did this trade with your girlfriend in hopes of stoking the fires of love, you've done fine as you've likely made her very happy. Otherwise, whoever gives up Gonzo and Coles for Clark has overpaid (which isn't the worst thing in the world, so don't kick yourself - go enjoy Clark and don't look back).

Straight up, I see Gonzo/Clark are arguable as to who might end the year with the most points based on a particular scoring system -- so a deal could be defended, particularly between a colts fan and falcons fan interested in acquiring their respective hometown talent ... but to sweeten it with Coles, or anyone? Meh -- don't see the need for a sweetener.

wow...Anyhow, I made this trade because I don't like running a TE/RB same team combo..,I feel it creates an unbalanced scoring potential from week-to-week (except for those when they load up on their opp. through the air and the ground...not as often as I like).

I had Tony G last season and he did great, but new team with respectable targets (unlike KC)...his production could average out. Still an elite player, but wanted someone else and I think Clark will add that variety. Indy with new staff, aging receivers, and something some would call a running game. Dallas should get his IMO :wacko:

As for Coles...come on guys, this guy is comparable to a Randle-El if you ask me, this is coming from a nole fan too. Ocho and Henry are gonna be main redzone targets and I have seen nothing that convinces me that he could have a superb year.

Plus, I feel my WR depth will work out fine in due time...really counting on Crayton to break out by week 3 or 4.

Anyways I do appreciate the input and lets hear some more...

wow...Anyhow, I made this trade because I don't like running a TE/RB same team combo..,I feel it creates an unbalanced scoring potential from week-to-week (except for those when they load up on their opp. through the air and the ground...not as often as I like).

This is Faulty Reasoning

you are saying you wouldn't want Both Whitten and Barber of LT and Gates on your team?

you take the best players that you can at each position and then they will do what they do.

a guy in my league was in the finals last season with Warner Fitz and Bouldin all as his starters.

a QB and his 2 WR's seems unbalanced .....but its NOT

If Turner is a top 5 RB and Gonzo is a to 3 TE what does it matter who owns them?

you get the best players that you can get Period!

This is Faulty Reasoning

you are saying you wouldn't want Both Whitten and Barber of LT and Gates on your team?

you take the best players that you can at each position and then they will do what they do.

a guy in my league was in the finals last season with Warner Fitz and Bouldin all as his starters.

If Turner is a top 5 RB and Gonzo is a to 3 TE what does it matter who owns them?

+1

Oh, and you screwed yourself.

This is Faulty Reasoning

Did he win the championship? Or was that your clever way of making it look better?

I can already tell you he didn't if he started Warner/Fitz/Boldin

Warner: 30yrds - 0TD

FItz: 100yrds - 1TD

Boldin: 0yrds - 0T

Totla of um, 16pts for 3 players.

I don't think his reasoning is faulty.

Also, QB/WR is completely different than a RB/TE combo.

RB/TE share the total touchdowns. So if a team score 3 TDs in a game, the most he could get is 18pts.

QB/WR get to double dip if they hook up.Same 3TD game could mean up to 36pts.

There is a huge difference.

Edited by PolishNorbi

Did he win the championship? Or was that your clever way of making it look better?

RB/TE share the total touchdowns. So if a team score 3 TDs in a game, the most he could get is 18pts.

Unless your league had some strange rule where you actually get more points for having the QB/WR combo, such as their TDs are worth 10 points each instead of 6 pts., then it is faulty reasoning.

You go for the players you believe will score the most points. If that means that during my draft, if my top rated player happens to be from the same team as another player already on my squad, I'm still going to take them. To not do so is faulty. The opposite is also true as you see many people say they target combos.. faulty thinking... having the QB and WR from a team doesn't magically make them score more points.

Now, if the OP felt that Clark was an upgrade over Gonzo, and that Coles is not going to contribute to his team, then I have no issue with the deal. I personally rank Gonzo higher than Clark, so I would have wanted to get something in addition to Clark for Gonzo, but each person has their own rankings/projections.

However, he has stated that one of the main reasons for the deal was because he has Turner, not because he thinks Clark will outperform Gonzo. This is flawed logic assuming the goal is still to outscore your opponent on any given week.

no he didn't win the championship (was week 16 not 17)

and he had other players on his starting lineup as well

start 2qb league

start 3-4 wrs with flex

my point was that he had a good regular season record and got into playoffs with a QB and 2 WRs from the same team

I know QB and WR are a little Different that Is why I SAID

Whitten and Barber or Gates and LT as examples too

if you disagree with that then good luck to you

You should get the BEST players possible Period

Edited by mlvc

Unless your league had some strange rule where you actually get more points for having the QB/WR combo, such as their TDs are worth 10 points each instead of 6 pts., then it is faulty reasoning.

You go for the players you believe will score the most points. If that means that during my draft, if my top rated player happens to be from the same team as another player already on my squad, I'm still going to take them. To not do so is faulty. The opposite is also true as you see many people say they target combos.. faulty thinking... having the QB and WR from a team doesn't magically make them score more points.

Now, if the OP felt that Clark was an upgrade over Gonzo, and that Coles is not going to contribute to his team, then I have no issue with the deal. I personally rank Gonzo higher than Clark, so I would have wanted to get something in addition to Clark for Gonzo, but each person has their own rankings/projections.

However, he has stated that one of the main reasons for the deal was because he has Turner, not because he thinks Clark will outperform Gonzo. This is flawed logic assuming the goal is still to outscore your opponent on any given week.

Reasoning behind not having players from the same team:

1) When said team plays a hard team, they might get skunked. Leaving not 1 but 2 or more who did not perform.

You can see in this thread: A team had Warner/Fitz/Boldin, made the championship. Cardinals got their butts handed to them by NE. I can almost guarentee you that the guy lost the championship because he had 3 Players who didn't perform to their standard.

Who cares if Warner (QB4) Fitz (WR1) Boldin (WR7) scored 743 pts last season, averaged 46pts a week, but week 16 when it mattered scored a combined 16 pts. That is a 30 point hit your team just took.

(I use FBG for my stats, so actually pts may vary).

2) Bye weeks. In the Warner/Fitz/Boldin combo, the player is now missing 3 starters in that week, most likely that week was a loss as well unless he had depth.

It is simple. A WR/RB/TE compete with each other for TDs. They shouldn't be paired.

For every TD your RB scores, it takes away from possible TDs your TE could have had.

A QB Passing TDs are counted seperately. Thus a QB throwing a TD, means you could have actually gotten 12 pts on the play, not just 6.

I know QB and WR are a little Different that Is why I SAID

Whitten and Barber or Gates and LT as examples too

if you disagree with that then good luck to you

You should get the BEST players possible Period

BEST player period?

Fine let's start a league.

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE - No Bench, No Waiver Wire.

20 points per TD by Running Back. 6 pts for the rest of the players.

I will leave you the 7 best RBs.

BEST Player Period would mean you draft 7 RBs. Guess what? I will beat you every time.

You draft the BEST PLAYER THAT FITS YOUR TEAM.

PolishNorbi-

Please confirm that you are advocating taking a lesser ranked player during the draft solely because you already have a player from that team?

As far as the points made thus far:

1. It has been discussed to death on the baords, but there is no advantage/disadvantage to taking players from the same team or having a QB/WR target. You draft and then start the players you believe will score the most points. If that means you draft and start 3 players from the same team, so be it. if that means you draft and start no players from the same team, so be it. So long as the goal of the game is to outscore your opponent, to not draft and start the player you feel will score the most points for any reason is flawed logic, and this means not just players from the same team, but also doing things such as starting a WR because your opponent has his QB.

2. It has also been discussed and debated, and loading up on a single bye week, not just with players from the same team but within the same division who share a bye week is a valid and tested strategy. Sure, you are weakened in one week, but full strength the rest of them, whereas most teams will be 1-3 key players down for a number of weeks. Comes down to personal preference and how you like to approach the draft and the week in/week out strategy.