[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did I just screw myself by making this trade?

FinZone

BEST player period?

Fine let's start a league.

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE - No Bench, No Waiver Wire.

20 points per TD by Running Back. 6 pts for the rest of the players.

I will leave you the 7 best RBs.

BEST Player Period would mean you draft 7 RBs. Guess what? I will beat you every time.

You draft the BEST PLAYER THAT FITS YOUR TEAM.

How are you defining "Best Player"?

If we are dealing with "known" stats as is implied as apparently we KNOW who the best 7 RBs will be, then I would accept this challenge of being allowed to draft who I deem to be the best player at each pick within the confines of the structure you set up.

PolishNorbi-

Please confirm that you are advocating taking a lesser ranked player during the draft solely because you already have a player from that team?

It really depends on the situation.

If I need the position, and the drop off after same team player is HUGE. Then yes, I will draft that player.

But if I see a player lesser ranked by a couple fantasy projection pts from a different team, I would be more inclined to take him.

As far as the points made thus far:

1. It has been discussed to death on the baords, but there is no advantage/disadvantage to taking players from the same team or having a QB/WR target. You draft and then start the players you believe will score the most points. If that means you draft and start 3 players from the same team, so be it. if that means you draft and start no players from the same team, so be it. So long as the goal of the game is to outscore your opponent, to not draft and start the player you feel will score the most points for any reason is flawed logic, and this means not just players from the same team, but also doing things such as starting a WR because your opponent has his QB.

2. It has also been discussed and debated, and loading up on a single bye week, not just with players from the same team but within the same division who share a bye week is a valid and tested strategy. Sure, you are weakened in one week, but full strength the rest of them, whereas most teams will be 1-3 key players down for a number of weeks. Comes down to personal preference and how you like to approach the draft and the week in/week out strategy.

To each his own. I personally prefer not to depend on let's say the Cardinals to put up huge numbers week in and week out. I _feel_ my team could be more consistent in putting up points with players (excluding QB) from different teams.

I dont wanna sound like an idiot ( I do that enough without these forums ) BUT I see the OP's point. When I draft a RB ( Turner in his case ) I HOPE and ROOT that another dominate player ( Gonzo in this case ) SUCKS this year. I dont go into the draft going: I'm taking Turner but I HOPE the TE gets all the goal line scores. No, I hope for utter failure in the other positions on the team ( except for the Cowboys - but thats why I dont take players from my homer team ). The only same team combo I like is QB / position player - double dipping as someone else said. Yes, some years it works out both ways, but, I would rather root for one player on a team than 2 ( exception QB / position - or a kicker but who counts them). PLUS, it's Atlanta......do you really want 2 from that team?

How are you defining "Best Player"?

If we are dealing with "known" stats as is implied as apparently we KNOW who the best 7 RBs will be, then I would accept this challenge of being allowed to draft who I deem to be the best player at each pick within the confines of the structure you set up.

The way I interperted mlvc "best player", was the most points.

I wanted to show you don't draft the best players, but the best player for your team.

In this skewed scoring, obviously RBs will be better in total points. By drafting "Best player", he would draft 7 RBs. Thus, leaving him seriously hinder at other positions.

The way I interperted mlvc "best player", was the most points.

I wanted to show you don't draft the best players, but the best player for your team.

In this skewed scoring, obviously RBs will be better in total points. By drafting "Best player", he would draft 7 RBs. Thus, leaving him seriously hinder at other positions.

And that is why I bolded "I deem" in my post. To me, "Best Player" means highest value. Kind oof become a mantra this season as there is an even higher propensity of posters that don't get the concept that value is not total points, but point differential.

So, if I were to be allowed to make my own determination of values (utilizing the valuation method I have laid out many times over the years here) and take on the challenge you laid out (with the assumption that it is known stats, as you state we take out the top 7 RBs, so if that is known, one must assume all stats are known), I guarantee you would have no chance. (BTW, this is all friendly in nature, just trying to have a solid discourse on FF strategy)

And that is why I bolded "I deem" in my post. To me, "Best Player" means highest value. Kind oof become a mantra this season as there is an even higher propensity of posters that don't get the concept that value is not total points, but point differential.

So, if I were to be allowed to make my own determination of values (utilizing the valuation method I have laid out many times over the years here) and take on the challenge you laid out (with the assumption that it is known stats, as you state we take out the top 7 RBs, so if that is known, one must assume all stats are known), I guarantee you would have no chance. (BTW, this is all friendly in nature, just trying to have a solid discourse on FF strategy)

We are actually on the same page, since I too VBD. However, when someone says "BEST PLAYER PERIOD" I take that as an assumption that he/she means most points. I didn't mean take out the top 7 RBs. I meant the player drafting "best player period" who is not drafting based on value would draft 7 RBs since they are the best players.

One of the things I have been working on recently is creating a system to work on pairings a committee type approach.

Value based drafting is great, but when WR#3 to WR#5 it would be better to have WR who compliment each other.

IE; A WR who plays DET/PIT/CIN/BAL paired with a WR who plays PIT/SEA/IND/SF

Obviously this doesn't apply to Studs as I am a believer of always start your studs, but this would apply to lower round picks.

If I can get this figure out nicely, I would like to take your challenge to see how it works.

Best player

we are talking about trading everyones top 3 TE gonzo + a Good WR vs a TE who is NOT top 3 and Clark is 1 concussion away from being Retired IMO

we are not talking about drafting a second Top TE just because he is the best player avail when you NEED a RB or QB

Yes He Screwed himself , He wanted honest opinions so I gave him one

One of the things I have been working on recently is creating a system to work on pairings a committee type approach.

Value based drafting is great, but when WR#3 to WR#5 it would be better to have WR who compliment each other.

IE; A WR who plays DET/PIT/CIN/BAL paired with a WR who plays PIT/SEA/IND/SF

Obviously this doesn't apply to Studs as I am a believer of always start your studs, but this would apply to lower round picks.

If I can get this figure out nicely, I would like to take your challenge to see how it works.

I have actually done this the last few years. I didn't this year due to time constraints, but what I did was to compare a teams strength of schedule against the schedule of every other team so it would identify combinations that provided the best complementary players. Most useful for QBs. For example, if I had Schaub, it would tell me who had the easiest schedule for the games when HOU was on bye or played a top 8 Ds vs. QBs by looking at the schedule of all other 31 teams for just those weeks. I repeated this for each position.

Well, didnt see this coming...there is a difference IMO between drafting best NFL players period and drafting what is best for my FF team over 16 weeks.

Of course Tony G is better TE (but I think him, witten, and clark finish realtively even)...but on a week to week basis, I dont wanna run that combo risk of competing for TD's between him and Turner.

And no the team owner actuallly thought that clark was gonna have a good year and I hate coles so I threw him in the mix.

I dont wanna sound like an idiot ( I do that enough without these forums ) BUT I see the OP's point. When I draft a RB ( Turner in his case ) I HOPE and ROOT that another dominate player ( Gonzo in this case ) SUCKS this year. I dont go into the draft going: I'm taking Turner but I HOPE the TE gets all the goal line scores. No, I hope for utter failure in the other positions on the team ( except for the Cowboys - but thats why I dont take players from my homer team ). The only same team combo I like is QB / position player - double dipping as someone else said. Yes, some years it works out both ways, but, I would rather root for one player on a team than 2 ( exception QB / position - or a kicker but who counts them). PLUS, it's Atlanta......do you really want 2 from that team?

This is my exact thoughts....

Couldn't you have just traded Gonzo for Clark straight up?

The point here is trade value, not whether it's a good idea to have more than 1 player from the same team, or whether Gonzo will have a good year, etc. The point is did the OP get good trade value for a player who many consider the #1 at his position? Surely there are owners in his league who waited on a TE and have great depth at RB or WR, who would have quickly taken an upgrade at TE. Maybe Gates or Witten went after Gonzo and those owners would consider a straight up trade, thus avoiding the multiple player "problem"? Not sure about all the details, but seems like you can get significantly more for Gonzo in almost any scenario.

• 3 weeks later...