[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strange draft..Kevin Faulk was almost drafted in the 1st round

rai

I wanted to point out (for me) the disadvantage of picking a QB early and how it effects my skill positions specifically the WR and RB.

First there were some mitigation factors and this kind of threw me off my zone.

This is an internet draft and while to me it's not 'big money' it does have some money factor and I take it seriously. Well for some reason I thought it would be good to have my friend play, initially I was going to have a group of friends but it turned out just to be myself and two ohter friends in a 12 team league.

My one friend is a good player and I don't have to coach him up. My other friend I was not sure about. Initially I wasn't even going to ask him but I did, I didn't think he was going to play but at the last minute he called and said he was in. I was concerned because I had never played with him and really don't believe he has any skill at it. He has played before, not with me, but more with a bunch of other noobs who just play for the heck of it but really don't have a clue.

I kind of felt that I should help out my friend since he would get slaughtered if left on his own.

So I sent him a cheat sheet and told him how to do a mock draft and told him to read some info maybe get some insight on how to construct a team.

BUT I did not plan on holding his hand during the draft. I am in a zone and I like to see who is left and think ahead about if I make this pick who could be left on my next pick, how one pick will effect the rest of my team etc..

Now I didn't go in with a firm plan like I am going to take stud RB and then stud WR or I am going to take RB/RB or WR/WR or whatever. I just was going to let the drft come to me and play it from there.

So I get 9 and my friend (the noob) gets 12/13. I can talk to him real qucik see if he knows at least what he is going to do with his first 2 picks. Now I didn't know how bad he was since I never drafted with him.

We were on the phone so it was more difficult, I could not just show him my draft list and I didn't want to be on the phone cos I was going to concentrate on my draft. But real quick while the first players were picking I asked if he knew what he was doing

He sais "I don't know who is going to be left, I guess I can get Westy and someone else"

So I think that's OK he knows he is not etting a top-5 RB, and he seems to have a grasp of the players in this range (such as Westy)

I should say it's performance scoring plus 1 PPR

So the draft unfolds thus:

1.AD

2.Forte

3.Andre

4.Fitz

5.MJD

6.Chris Johnson

7.S Jax

8.Turner

9.LT (so now it's my pick, I am happy to find LT here and I didn't expect to so I grab him in a new york minute. I am feeling good about this, I was thinking a stud WR like Moss or Fitz or Andre but I kind of thought TL was going to have a bounce back year and I was worried if I didn't take a RB here that by my next pick I would be down to Portis/Barber/Jacobs). So I figure get a WR next pick.

10.R.Moss

11.Westbrook

Now it's up to my friend who has back to back 12/13 picks, already Westy is gone, I am not on the phone with him, since I am thinking more about what I should do.

So all this time is going by, there is a 2 minute time limit or else the computer picks for you. I have no idea what's going on.

Then the next thing I see he picks 'Kevin Faulk"

Now I just about fall over, I don't know if he ran out of time and the computer picked for him or if he hit the wrong button or what ever. So I type "No he didn't" on the chat and I call him on the phone and say what the hell is going on? you didn't pick Kevin Faulk with your first pick. He says why not? My list has him pretty high in PPR league. So now I have a sinking feeling. I don't want him to be picking Kevin Faulk and Sinoris Moss (or whoever) with his first picks. SO I say, F---k Kevin Faulk, you can get him in the 10th round if you want him, this is the 1st round, you need to get people that are going to play. I say, f-man take DeAngelo and Gore.

12.Deangelo

13 Gore

So this is really messing me up since I pick in a couple of minutes and since I am all worked up that my friend doesn't have a clue. So then the next picks are

13.Slaton (Who I really wanted as my last of what I would call 1st round talent)

14.Calvin Johnson (who I really waned as my last of the big 4 WR)

So now it all the way back to me and I only have 2 minutes to think what am I going to do? My friend had me turned around and my guys I was targeting were gone. In fact I gave my friend 2 players I could have picked. I mean surely left to his unorthodox method of Kevin Faulk and who knows who else, I would have been able to have one of the 4 players picked just ahead of me and I would have been happy.

Now I am stuck with the lesser RBs, I mean Bush, Barber, Grant, Jacobs etc.. these guys are OK but I think there will be guys like this around for a while. Or I can go with the second level of WRs (Jennings, Welker, SS, Roddy, Wayne) etc. but I was in some mock drafts and I saw Welker falling to my 3rd pick, so I figure maybe I can wait and sneak a QB in here and still get a good WR1 by chance on my 3rd pick.

So I pick :

15.Brady.

I really was pressed for time only had like 15 seconds left, I was looking at who was left WR and WR and judging who would be around at my 3rd pcik and so I rolled the dice and hoped Welker/Wayne would last till my next pick. I went with Brady but not happy, I was thinking if only DeAngelo or Gore or Slaton or Megatron were there I would be stacked.

So the rest of the draft unfolds and I won't list every pick but the WRs started flying off the board.. SS, Wayne, White, Jennings, Colston, Welker, Boldin, Housh, TO, Bowe, Braylon. It was like everyone knew I didn't have a WR and they were going to stick it to me.

I ended up reeling and was left with Chad Ochocinco. I don't hate him,but just think I would have been happier with picking SS, Welker, Jennings, Wayne and then I could have waited and got Rodgers or Rivers who fell.

I knew the QBs would last, I should have known that Rodgers/Rivers would be there late in the 3rd round. I could have LT/Welker/Rodgers which would have been better than LT/Brady/Ochocinco

I like Brady and if I was drafting late in the 2nd round with a real early 3rd round pick, I would have been happy, but with 16 picks to go until my 3rd pick I really missed the true stud WR1 that were there.

of course the rest of the palyers I got the best I could do. But really I am not as happy as I could be.

Here is my team

Brady, Tom NEP QB 8

Flacco, Joe BAL QB 7

Benson, Cedric CIN RB 8

Taylor, Chester MIN RB 9

Tomlinson, LaDainian SDC RB 5

Berrian, Bernard MIN WR 9

Gonzalez, Anthony IND WR 6

Mason, Derrick BAL WR 7

Muhammad, Muhsin CAR WR 4

Ochocinco, Chad CIN WR 8

Finley, Jermichael GBP TE 5

Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE 4

Shockey, Jeremy NOS TE 5

Kaeding, Nate SDC PK 5

Reed, Jeff PIT PK 8

Patriots, New England NEP Def 8

Edited by rai

That was pretty long but if I read it right you screwed up your draft because your friend messed up his first pick?

That's very nice of you. :wacko:

And I rate your team a C- Good QB but weak at RB and WR

Edited by Zooty

Post your friends team.

And FWIW, I think it's cool you tried to help him, BUT, we all cut our teeth by making stupid picks. You helped him enough by talking strategy before the draft.

EDIT to add: and we all know he will end of winning the league. The FF gods are cruel, evil wenches.

Edited by Chief Dick

That was pretty long but if I read it right you screwed up your draft because your friend messed up his first pick?

That's very nice of you. :wacko:

And I rate your team a C- Good QB but weak at RB and WR

yes. I would feel bad tho if he had the worst team ever, I mean he was so bad, I kid you not he picked "Marshall Faulk" later in the draft. The Comish took that back, I had to tell him Marshall ain't what he used to be.

But if I had let him pick Kevin Faulk, I would have had Gore or DeAngelo oe Slaton in the 2nd round no doubt and pick Rivers in the 4th round.

Post your friends team.

And FWIW, I think it's cool you tried to help him, BUT, we all cut our teeth by making stupid picks. You helped him enough by talking strategy before the draft.

EDIT to add: and we all know he will end of winning the league. The FF gods are cruel, evil wenches.

I'll die if he wins with this team.

I don't help him for most of the draft except at the end when he had 2 picks left I told him he needed a K and a back-up TE

as I said in the previous post he drafted Marshall Faulk also, he must have an old magazine or something :wacko:

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB 8

Romo, Tony DAL QB 6

Fargas, Justin OAK RB 9

Gore, Frank SFO RB 6

Maroney, Laurence NEP RB 8

McGahee, Willis BAL RB 7

Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB 7

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 4

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR 6

Holmes, Santonio PIT WR 8

Holt, Torry JAC WR 7

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR 4

Fasano, Anthony MIA TE 6

Winslow, Kellen TBB TE 8

Gould, Robbie CHI PK 5

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def 6

He picked crabtree in the 12th that's a bit of a reach don't you think?

But if I had let him pick Kevin Faulk, I would have had Gore or DeAngelo oe Slaton in the 2nd round no doubt and pick Rivers in the 4th round.

I'm not a fan of one owner giving another owner direction during a draft. ESPECIALLY if I were the guy picking right after Lame-o who would have gotten the player the original doof didn't want to take. I think the FF Karma Gods intervened on your team.

Very good point.

You are doomed this season rai.

I agree

I hate to do it, if he had picked anyone else like say TO or some other marginal pick I would have said 'jack-ass' and let him play, but come on Kevin Faulk? How could I seep at night knowing he had Kevin Faulk as his RB1?

I'm not a fan of one owner giving another owner direction during a draft. ESPECIALLY if I were the guy picking right after Lame-o who would have gotten the player the original doof didn't want to take. I think the FF Karma Gods intervened on your team.

I agree also. I should have said nothing. But it was more of a shock thing, I think before the draft I may have said "well you're picking 12 someone like Gore/Westy/DeAngelo those guys should be there" I don't recall the exact words. But never in my life did I mention Faulk, Marshall or Kevin.

Edited by rai

Post your friends team.

Yea, one year I had a buddy draft the first 6 rounds and then had to leave, so he handed me a cheat sheet and said "pick the best available", I ended up picking his players and he beat me in the playoffs. I ended up picking him all the guys I wanted.

Just looking, Kevin Faulk was not even drafted in our league, and we have 16 rounds. I just don't feel right letting my friend take him in the 1st round.

Wiat, hold on a minute. he was going to draft Faulk in the 1st rd and then didn't draft him at all. :wacko:

Actually if he only needs to start 2 WRs he's not too bad off.

A decent WW WR 3 and he's in business. He already has 2 startable RBs and a pretty good QB.

I actually like his team a little more than yours

I gave him his two first picks, how would his team look without DeAngelo and Gore?

l have TWO teir1 kickers and he has one kicker so no bye week he needs to drop a player to start a kicker that week. I have the better kicker rotation. Keading + Reed to his Gould.

Kickers? me

TE I have 3 Gonzo, Shockey and Finley, he has 2 Winslow and Fasano

TE? me

QB? I have Brady and Flacco he has Romo and Ben

QB? me

we start 8 players so straight off it's hard to argue that 1/4 of my starting line-up (TE and QB) beats his Brady/Gonzo beats Romo/Winslow, you have to give me a 4-6 point edge here.

we start

1 RB

1 WR

2 Flex (can be either WR or RB)

I will give him 4 starters

DeAngelo

Gore

DeSean

Holmes

I will give me 4 starters

LT

Benson

Chad

Gonzalez

my subs

Chester Taylor (could be a starter in purple jesus gets hurt) but I lack depth so may use more 3WR/1RB starters

Berrian / Mason both firm #1 recevers on their teams

Muhammad (my worst player)

his subs

-Crabtree may not play all year

-Holt worse than Berrian + Mason

-has a lot of RBs, McGahee, Moreno, Maroney, Fargas he has depth but I can't see them playing a lot with his two stud RBs

I would say LT is better than his studs (I picked LT before his studs)

I would say Chad + A.Gonzo is better than DeSean and S.Holmes

the only edge I give him is with his RB2.

Edited by rai