[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Text of Obama's speech to schoolchildren

bpwallace49

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not even have to read it to know it is no big deal. If he talks more than 2 minutes, every school aged child will lose attention and start texting their friends about their weekend plans.

I sadly must report that our little rural school as of Friday had requests (three as of Friday morn) to exempt their children from watching the President's address. Since I teach American histroy (and civics among other things), I just want to grab these parents and ask, "What the hell is wrong with you?" Perhaps I'll just read the President's message to all my classes and see what happens. :wacko:

And I did not vote for Mr. Obama but he's the President of the United States, for pete's sake.

Outrage is all this country is about. Such a joke we have become on both sides. Keep your head in the sand and bend over. Its less stressful and any effort you make wont do dick anyway.

Tonorator has the inside info here, I bet.

don't get your panties in an uproar ... this is not a big deal to me.

this was one change that was made ...

Critics are particularly upset about lesson plans the administration created to accompany the speech. The lesson plans, available online, originally recommended having students "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

The White House revised the plans Wednesday to say students could "write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals."

so there was to be specific lesson plans on how the kids could help the current administration. what was in these plans? don't know. having the government layout some learning plans without the involvement of the local schools, however, could get some people a bit upset.

certainly by pulling this out and genericizing the speech, the white house can now say, "what's the big deal? we just want kids to get an education ..."

don't get your panties in an uproar ... this is not a big deal to me.

this was one change that was made ...

so there was to be specific lesson plans on how the kids could help the current administration. what was in these plans? don't know. having the government layout some learning plans without the involvement of the local schools, however, could get some people a bit upset.

certainly by pulling this out and genericizing the speech, the white house can now say, "what's the big deal? we just want kids to get an education ..."

There's lesson plans available on most government websites, state and local. They're not mandated, neither is this. They're available for teachers to use if the choose to do so.

There's lesson plans available on most government websites, state and local. They're not mandated, neither is this. They're available for teachers to use if the choose to do so.

which is great.

i think this thing is entirely overblown. if he would have come out with a blatant pitch for his health care plan or some other policy-specific type of discussion, that would be upsetting. i don't think there was any devious plot here but i do think the criticisms did cause the white house to go back and recheck their message. i've actually read more about the uproar vs. actually seen much of an actual uproar. slow news week, this jumps to the top.

i think it's cool that kids get to see their president and hear his story and have the importance of education reinforced. the speech that was released is great and can only do good for our kids.

i think this thing is entirely overblown. if he would have come out with a blatant pitch for his health care plan or some other policy-specific type of discussion, that would be upsetting. i don't think there was any devious plot here but i do think the criticisms did cause the white house to go back and recheck their message. i've actually read more about the uproar vs. actually seen much of an actual uproar. slow news week, this jumps to the top.

It's not a media creation. I've seen posts from friends of friends on Facebook of people that are not letting their kids listen to it.

Your second sentence is the problem. Right-wing radio and television has people whipped up thinking that Obama is actually a terrible person, not just a person who has different policy ideas than what they agree with... and certainly not a US President. It's embarrassing and people should be ashamed of themselves.

I sadly must report that our little rural school as of Friday had requests (three as of Friday morn) to exempt their children from watching the President's address. Since I teach American histroy (and civics among other things), I just want to grab these parents and ask, "What the hell is wrong with you?" Perhaps I'll just read the President's message to all my classes and see what happens. :wacko:

And I did not vote for Mr. Obama but he's the President of the United States, for pete's sake.

+1

It's not a media creation. I've seen posts from friends of friends on Facebook of people that are not letting their kids listen to it.

Your second sentence is the problem. Right-wing radio and television has people whipped up thinking that Obama is actually a terrible person, not just a person who has different policy ideas than what they agree with... and certainly not a US President. It's embarrassing and people should be ashamed of themselves.

yup. It's really a freaking joke.

yup. It's really a freaking joke.

It is definitely a joke. However, alot of these guys here have either very short memories or dementia.

See below. The paragraph is downright comical. This is coming from a guy that bashed Bush on almost every occasion. Both sides reap what they sow. Did liberals really think that after the way they treated Bush for 8 years that it would be smooth sailing for their guy? Even after Bush was gone, they taunted him and gloated because he was gone. Now we are supposed to be respectful of their guy because he is the president. And to make the statement that right wing radio has whipped people up to think Obama is a terrible person, is absolutely amazing.

If this was the original speech, which I doubt, this whole thing was much ado about nothing. That is what the president should have said. The problem was how the intended speech was described to America.

With all the liberal leanings, and government powergrabbing that the current administration seems to be aiming for, if you look at the greater context of the political climate in general, it is easy to see how this gets blown out of proportion.

I am glad he isn't trying to promote his agenda through children, which is what people really had issue with. I would have had issue with that had it been the case. I am glad it wasn't.

See below. The paragraph is downright comical. This is coming from a guy that bashed Bush on almost every occasion. Both sides reap what they sow. Did liberals really think that after the way they treated Bush for 8 years that it would be smooth sailing for their guy? Even after Bush was gone, they taunted him and gloated because he was gone. Now we are supposed to be respectful of their guy because he is the president. And to make the statement that right wing radio has whipped people up to think Obama is a terrible person, is absolutely amazing.

And here in lies the problem. Its all about who can jam their arm further up the other sides ass and what is best for the country is secondary to many people. In your own words your side has been waiting to Bash based on the bashing Bush received. I firmly believe and nobody could tell me otherwise that there are people in the country and on these boards that are rooting for Obama to fail. Not for just his policies to fail but his actual presidency. Its sad. Its sad when both sides do it. Everybody has their cock out. When I was a kid I would have been excited to hear the president address me directly in school. The frenzy over this speech is flat out laughable and embarrasing

Give me a break. I think it is great that our POTUS is going to address school aged kids in a school aged type speach. This should make children realize that they are part of the process. That the POTUS does care about them. That they are going to be challenged to do better and be acountable. I wish that I would have had the POTUS making a speach that I would have felt was aimed at me when I was in school.

Make the little ones feel important, IMHO.

Give me a break. I think it is great that our POTUS is going to address school aged kids in a school aged type speach. This should make children realize that they are part of the process. That the POTUS does care about them. That they are going to be challenged to do better and be acountable. I wish that I would have had the POTUS making a speach that I would have felt was aimed at me when I was in school.

Make the little ones feel important, IMHO.

Give you a break on what? Most people here(including me) had no problem with the speech. Yes, there were idiots that did not want their kids to hear it. But most here and elsewhere were fine with it.