[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Text of Obama's speech to schoolchildren

bpwallace49

I guess I don't understand why some on the right want to have kids held out of school and I guess I don't understand why it's a news story if they do. I let my daughter skip school to go to the State Fair on Dr. Pepper Tuesday.

Were people really advocating holding their kids out of school? Did it actually happen? Who was advocating that as a good idea?

Edited by Clubfoothead

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't understand why some on the right want to have kids held out of school and I guess I don't understand why it's a news story if they do. I let my daughter skip school to go to the State Fair on Dr. Pepper Tuesday.

Were people really advocating holding their kids out of school? Did it actually happen? Who was advocating that as a good idea?

Some people were really contemplating keeping their kids out of school, though probably 95% were more concerned with the "suggested" lesson plan given by the Department of Education than they were the speech. The Secretary of Education amended the lesson plans the and admitted the original lesson plan was a poor decision when she called it and I quote "wrong headed."

As to did it actually happen, probably so in many cases where parents didn't get the news that the lesson plans from the Department of Education had been changed.

As to who was advocating it? I was prior to the lesson plans being changed. Once the got the propaganda out of the lesson plans I had no problem with it, and sent my kids to school. I've read the text of the speech and have heard snippets of it, and have no problem letting my kids watch it.

Some people were really contemplating keeping their kids out of school, though probably 95% were more concerned with what paranoid Rush Limbaugh and Fox News overhyped about the "suggested" lesson plan given by the Department of Education than they were the speech.

Fixed.

You'd have to be a complete slave to fear to be slightly worried about even a misreading of the original lesson plan.

It's not a media creation. I've seen posts from friends of friends on Facebook of people that are not letting their kids listen to it.

Your second sentence is the problem. Right-wing radio and television has people whipped up thinking that Obama is actually a terrible person, not just a person who has different policy ideas than what they agree with... and certainly not a US President. It's embarrassing and people should be ashamed of themselves.

ummmm... radio and television IS part of the media, hence it IS partly media created. And although you would like to point the finger at yet an even smaller part of the media "the right-wing side"... both sides, meaning liberal media too, drum this kind of crap up strictly for ratings. If they can make money on an asinine overblown story...well, you get the point.

BTW, I had no problem with the speech either. As someone else said, I didn't vote for him, but he is OUR president.

Some people were really contemplating keeping their kids out of school, though probably 95% were more concerned with the "suggested" lesson plan given by the Department of Education than they were the speech. The Secretary of Education amended the lesson plans the and admitted the original lesson plan was a poor decision when she called it and I quote "wrong headed."

As to did it actually happen, probably so in many cases where parents didn't get the news that the lesson plans from the Department of Education had been changed.

As to who was advocating it? I was prior to the lesson plans being changed. Once the got the propaganda out of the lesson plans I had no problem with it, and sent my kids to school. I've read the text of the speech and have heard snippets of it, and have no problem letting my kids watch it.

I was at my daughter's softball practice the other day, missed part of a conversation, but heard a girl of about 11 years old stand up and say " I hate Obama". I thought of you.

I don't mind if everyone hates the man, it saddens me though, that a kid would say that about the POTUS, just b/c he/she hears their parents say it. Not saying your kid would say that, just sayin'.

From the speech: "I want to start with the responsibility you have to yourself."

I guess that doesn't include large banks and insurance companies, does it Barack? :wacko:

... or the Fed or congress.

The speech was ok - much like the one Bush 41 gave. I remember listening to Reagan in elementary school, but not his his message.

I sadly must report that our little rural school as of Friday had requests (three as of Friday morn) to exempt their children from watching the President's address. Since I teach American histroy (and civics among other things), I just want to grab these parents and ask, "What the hell is wrong with you?" Perhaps I'll just read the President's message to all my classes and see what happens. :D

And I did not vote for Mr. Obama but he's the President of the United States, for pete's sake.

rush and the rest of the fear mongers said it was going to brain wash the already brain washed.... :wacko:

I was at my daughter's softball practice the other day, missed part of a conversation, but heard a girl of about 11 years old stand up and say " I hate Obama". I thought of you.

I don't mind if everyone hates the man, it saddens me though, that a kid would say that about the POTUS, just b/c he/she hears their parents say it. Not saying your kid would say that, just sayin'.

Can Perch's daughter play?