[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seeing Dave Matthews Band in concert

muck

I dragged a friend hundreds of miles to see the band at very small club in Providence in 1994 (Met Cafe?), and bribed a busboy to let us in the back door because it was sold out. I thought it was amazing.

Then I saw him and Tim Reynolds play the auditorium at West Point in 1997.

:D

That's it. I kinda lost track of the band after Under The Table and Dreaming. It thought their studio stuff was garbage after that.

:wacko:

Plenty of good stuff after that. DMB has some jamming going on, but I'm not going to say it's a greatful dead concert just because they have some very long songs. Live at Red Rocks was a reasonable representation of the DMB concerts I've been to (4).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Saw them on the 19th at Camden. The show itself was awesome, but our tailgate mellow was severely harshed by a mob of police coming over to us and screaming to pack it up and go in to the show, and then proceeding to overturn our table of food. They had been busting underage kids for drinking all afternoon and had just gotten into a scuffle with a group of kids fighting, but we had done absolutely nothing wrong and did not deserve that treatment. That was my last show in Camden, I promise you.

I dragged a friend hundreds of miles to see the band at very small club in Providence in 1994 (Met Cafe?), and bribed a busboy to let us in the back door because it was sold out. I thought it was amazing.

Then I saw him and Tim Reynolds play the auditorium at West Point in 1997.

That's it. I kinda lost track of the band after Under The Table and Dreaming. It thought their studio stuff was garbage after that.

That wasn't Lupo's was it? Sadly, that place is no more.

Not sure how old you are, but unless you just started growing pubes....... you'll probably feel a little old. Someone underage is definitely going to ask you to buy them beer.

If you are taking a date, chances are better than average you'll be in mid coitus within 70 minutes post show.

Not sure how old you are, but unless you just started growing pubes....... you'll probably feel a little old. Someone underage is definitely going to ask you to buy them beer.

I'm 14; my voice has just started to crack. I haven't shaved in about three years.

If you are taking a date, chances are better than average you'll be in mid coitus within 70 minutes post show.

I will mention that to my wife since we live about an hour away from the show. TIA.

ETA: In case this is confusing, we're amish; this was an arranged marriage. Wish me luck. :wacko:

Edited by muck

I'm 14; my voice has just started to crack. I haven't shaved in about three years.

I will mention that to my wife since we live about an hour away from the show. TIA.

ETA: In case this is confusing, we're amish; this was an arranged marriage. Wish me luck. :D

ohhhh a rumspringa weekend :wacko:

Two years ago the wife and I went to see him in Hershey. The traffic getting out of the lot was insane, so we just parked in one corner and went at it like two squirrels in a pillowcase. Unfortunately the traffic was still bad when we finished 6 minutes later.

Two years ago the wife and I went to see him in Hershey. The traffic getting out of the lot was insane, so we just parked in one corner and went at it like two squirrels in a pillowcase. Unfortunately the traffic was still bad when we finished 6 minutes later.

6 minutes? Wow, you're my hero :wacko:

First, the best song (imo) of the evening was when Willie Nelson helped out on

. Huge :D.

Second, my wife and I know very little of their catalog -- I could only sing along with 4-5 of the songs they played (nearly 2.5hr set!), and of those 4-5, I knew the chorus only to 2-3. Still was great to feel the energy; definately lots of people getting very into it.

Third, those guys can really play -- was most impressed with the guy on the violin and the guy on the sax; wow is about all I can say. The violin guy played a very extended solo/jam on three songs; the first one (that I didn't know at all) actually got me misty-eyed a bit (I have no idea why I reacted that way; just triggered an emotion somewhere ... :wacko: ... powerful stuff).

Fourth, the nearest spliff was two rows in front of us and three people down. That said, there was less of that going on than I expected.

Not sure how old you are, but unless you just started growing pubes....... you'll probably feel a little old.

Remarkably, this wasn't the case (I was expecting it too). The couple next to us was easily 10yrs our senior. There were several "white haired" types my wife and I saw; the bulk of the crowd was probably 20-30 years old; very few "obvious" teenagers (i.e., kids under 14 or 15).

Someone underage is definitely going to ask you to buy them beer.

Did not happen.

Due to the long drive, the "time to marital relations" exceeded 70 minutes.

Edited by muck

Had Listener Supported on in the car yesterday. I really enjoy DM's live music. I have seen them several times, most notably the last 2 times they have played New Orleans Jazz fest.

While listening yesterday I decided it has been too long and I will catch the next show that is close enough to attend.

I believe Jeff Coffin, formerly of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is now playing sax for them (at least he stepped in immediately after Leroi's death last year and I believe contributed to the studio album.

I've always though Carter was one of the best drummers touring today.

Tim Reynolds is touring with them too, and that guy is :wacko: on the guitar. We went to the Dave & Tim show at Radio City that was released on DVD and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Willie Nelson opened for DMB.

Willie's son (don't remember his name) can really (REALLY!) play the guitar; he did a great rendition of Texas Flood (SRV) ... he sings just like his dad though, so, don't expect him to be fronting a band any time soon.

First, the best song (imo) of the evening was when Willie Nelson helped out on
. Huge :D .

Willie has been stopping by to play with them most of this tour. I saw him both nights in Boston, and the fans started seeing so much of him they re-named the song Williedigger.

Second, my wife and I know very little of their catalog -- I could only sing along with 4-5 of the songs they played (nearly 2.5hr set!), and of those 4-5, I knew the chorus only to 2-3. Still was great to feel the energy; definately lots of people getting very into it.

They are known for their live shows, like others have said here. Long shows, cool changes to their songs, covers, etc. Each show really is unique. And the fans are hard core. They know the songs as well as the band, so the singing in the audience sometimes drowns out the band.

Third, those guys can really play -- was most impressed with the guy on the violin and the guy on the sax; wow is about all I can say. The violin guy played a very extended solo/jam on three songs; the first one (that I didn't know at all) actually got me misty-eyed a bit (I have no idea why I reacted that way; just triggered an emotion somewhere ... :wacko: ... powerful stuff).

That would be Boyd Tinsley on violin. He rules. Such a unique sound he brings to a song. I'm glad you got to hear a few solos from him. With the addition of Tim Reynolds on guitar for this new album, some of Boyd's parts have been lessened.

Fourth, the nearest spliff was two rows in front of us and three people down. That said, there was less of that going on than I expected.

Hmm, each venue is different. For open air amphetheatre's with lawn seating, that's usually the jackpot, like with most concerts.

Remarkably, this wasn't the case (I was expecting it too). The couple next to us was easily 10yrs our senior. There were several "white haired" types my wife and I saw; the bulk of the crowd was probably 20-30 years old; very few "obvious" teenagers (i.e., kids under 14 or 15).

Not surprised. I'd say that's pretty typical of Dave shows. They've been around for close to 20 years now, and still appeal to a lot of different people. Usually a pretty diverse crowd in many different ways.

Did not happen.

Due to the long drive, the "time to marital relations" exceeded 70 minutes.

There's always relations on the drive home :D

eta: I just checked the set list. You got a pretty nice show, fwiw! Some stuff you wouldn't have known. First, they did Proudest Monkey (an oldie you probably recognized) and they didn't transition that to another song. A rare aspect for sure. Second, mid set they did a song called Dreaming Tree. It's a slower song, and probably not one you would have recognized, but may have got a pretty good reaction from the crowd. Not played very often at all. And last, and best, you got to hear Halloween. Probably got a huge reaction from the crowd as the last song of the encore. It's sort of the Holy Grail of DMB songs. I know people who have gone to 30+ shows and not heard it. They've been playing it a lot this year though, but still a great song and one of the real rarities. :D

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

eta: I just checked the set list. You got a pretty nice show, fwiw! Some stuff you wouldn't have known. First, they did Proudest Monkey (an oldie you probably recognized) and they didn't transition that to another song. A rare aspect for sure. Second, mid set they did a song called Dreaming Tree. It's a slower song, and probably not one you would have recognized, but may have got a pretty good reaction from the crowd. Not played very often at all. And last, and best, you got to hear Halloween. Probably got a huge reaction from the crowd as the last song of the encore. It's sort of the Holy Grail of DMB songs. I know people who have gone to 30+ shows and not heard it. They've been playing it a lot this year though, but still a great song and one of the real rarities. :D

I remember him saying "...garble....garble...Monkey" into the mic relatively early into the show ... don't know the song, but liked it (just like we liked pretty much all of the songs they played) ... I remember a slower song they played in the middle of the set, but don't remember much about it (other than I didn't know it) ... and my wife and I had never heard Halloween, we thought it was a pretty "intense" song and seemed a bit of an odd way to end the show ...

I wish that we knew more about the group so that we knew how cool the set actually was... :wacko: ...thanks for the education! :D

When I was at W&L for law school they played frat parties and other small venues (1992-1995). Great times.

ETA: Probably saw them 5+ times where there were only 75 people or less in the room.

ETA2: Boyd was a cult hero.

ETA3: Did a quick Google and saw this, brought back a lot of memories ...

http://willwalker.com/?p=421

Edited by Beaumont