[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some beers I've been really digging lately

detlef

• 4 weeks later...
Fat Tire used to be a much better bier when they were an actual micro-brewery. I started drinking their bier when they were just getting started while I was in college. It was pretty cool seeing Jeff and sampling his beers when he home brewed them... now they are the "world's biggest micro-brewer"... is there really such a thing??

I'm pretty sure that's why the term "micro brewer" is being replaced with "craft brewer" to make room for the Red Hooks, New Belgiums, Sam Adams, etc of the world. I mean, they all do make good beers.

At any rate, we just finished our latest beer list expansion When we get our chight together, this will launch a more attractive pdf

I really can't say enough about the Mikkeller dude. His stuff is off the hook good and super interesting. Very worth seeking out. link

My new favorite of his is a Simcoe single hop IPA. That appears to be the latest trend. Guys are focusing on one hop source rather than the more traditional use of a variety. It really pushes that one flavor forward and in a very cool way.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip up to Boston, Maine, and Canada. I tried to find at least one local brew at each stop. Here's what I tried:

Portland, Maine - Allagash White

St. Johns, Canada - Cadian Cream Ale from Pump House Brewery

Hallifax, Canada - Went to the Alexander Keith Brewery and got the sampler: Wheat, Stout, IPA, Red and Light.

Boston - Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Had it with a cinnamon rim on the glass.

I dont drink Porters very often but when I am in the mood its hard to shake. I have never had Founders version but have you tried Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter? I think its pretty good for a Porter and curious how it ranks against Founders.

Other than that, the only beer I have had lately that knocked me off my feet was Three Flloydes Alpha King. I know it has been mentioned on these boards but I have had a hard time getting past the Dogfish Head 60min. Glad I did, this stuff is awesome! I would put it right up there with the 60min and 2 Hearted Ale from Bells, and it may even be better.

Great Lakes is on par with Founder's for most of their brews, including porters.

I knew the original brewer from Great Lakes personally. He brewed for Leavenworth Washington Brewery about 10-15 years ago when the Pacific NW brew scene was really coming into it's own. He made some great stuff and did some finagling with the inventory documentation to make the owners think he wasn't using as many ingredients (money saving measures). He quit several years back and returned to Great Lakes, not sure if he is still there.

• 2 weeks later...
Put Deshutes Brewery, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, on your menu and you will have happy customers-- :wacko: On my third bier tonight after a long day on the links followed by a long day at work with many unruly dogs and clueless owners. It is the best pale Ale I have tasted-and close behind is Bridgeport Pale Ale.

Deschutes Black Butte Porter is their best beer hands down. Great stuff. Give it a shot.

Edited by 5Rings

Hallifax, Canada - Went to the Alexander Keith Brewery and got the sampler: Wheat, Stout, IPA, Red and Light.

Alexander Keith's IPA is really good stuff. It's not what you think of when you want IPA, but very tasty.

I have been really digging the Dogfish Head lately. The Raison D'Etre and the Indian Brown Ale are both really nice. Have some Chickory Stout chilling at home.

Alexander Keith's IPA is really good stuff. It's not what you think of when you want IPA, but very tasty.

I have been really digging the Dogfish Head lately. The Raison D'Etre and the Indian Brown Ale are both really nice. Have some Chickory Stout chilling at home.

DFH just opened a tasting room in the town next to me. This is a very bad thing...