[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish changing rules w/o notice

chodan

Last night the commish posted a message that add/drops will begin on 9/9, the following morning he posts a message that it will not be today but will be after week 1 and changed it to 9/16 without any notice prior to the change and also stating that" that's the way it should be". The team he is playing this week has the 2nd waiver wire pick and is also weak on RB's and Cadillac williams happens to be on the free agency. Do you sense any cheating here? What should i do about this cause i don't want to be in a league with a commish thats cheating.

Edited by chodan

I would ask him why the change in dates and see what his response is before jumping to a conclusion, it could be a legit reason. You should never change the rules once the season starts IMO.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt once, but there is nothing worse than being in a league where you can't trust the commish.

What did the league rules that were in place prior to the message board postings state were the rules as fa as when waivers would start running, how long they run until, their schedule, etc.?

a week before yesterday he posted that add/drops would start on 9/9 and today he posted this

"listen up. sorry for telling you guys differently, BUT

because we drafted early i said we were gonna run a waiver process

just in case people get hurt. Since that has come and gone and nobody got hurt in the preseason we are going to freeze add/drops until week 1 results are finalized.

Its the way it should be done. "

He never mentioned on draft day or even posted that if players get hurt during the preseason that he would allow add/drops on 9/9, he just simply said ww begins on 9/9 a week ago and that was it.

I'm not jumping into conclusion just yet, just wanted to see with you guys if he was cheating. I'm still waiting for his reply.

That sounds kind of shady to me. "Because no one got hurt" he's gonna change the ruling. Sounds like he'll be changing a lot of rules "because" something happened that didn't favor him. I wouldn't be so quick to call someone a cheater unless you know for absolute sure, but it just sounds wishwashy to me and that's not good coming from the commisioner of your league.

Edited by NOSaint

I would contact a few other players and see if they are as upset about it. Then collectively contact him and tell him that because he stated initially that it would happen on 9/9 it should regardless of what changed. It is his job to administer the league not make changes to how the league operates based upon his judgements.

Once something is decided on in my opinion it is as solid as a contract. I agree you don't want to call him a cheater but you might say that he leaves you in an unfavorable position and leaves yourself and other players without options they initially thought they were going to have.

Try to be diplomatic but don't take any poopy.

edit*.........................ok I so didn't say ^poopy^.....what grown man says poopy?...I've never seen a editing system like that.

Edited by dustin20

Last night the commish posted a message that add/drops will begin on 9/9, the following morning he posts a message that it will not be today but will be after week 1 and changed it to 9/16 without any notice prior to the change and also stating that" that's the way it should be". The team he is playing this week has the 2nd waiver wire pick and is also weak on RB's and Cadillac williams happens to be on the free agency. Do you sense any cheating here? What should i do about this cause i don't want to be in a league with a commish thats cheating.

I think you should kick his ***.

But because we shouldn't do that, I agree with the poster above who said to contact the commish and tell him what you think about it. Tell him the only way to make it right, if he makes this change, will be for him to opt out of signing anyone until the initial WW date. Tell him that you want him to prove that he is not being shady. Don't be afraid to be a little confrontational about this either.

Then if I didn't like his response I would contact the website (if that's what you are playing on) and if not then I would quit the league based on this. You don't want to deal with this kind of crap all year. It's just not worth it.

I caught someone once who had two teams and he was dropping players from one team and then signing them to his other team. Always happened when he was top of the WW. A friend of mine was also in the league so when he was top of the WW I sent him my players. But in the end, it was all stupid. I should have just quit because it turned into a childish game.

You still have 1 day to get in on another league. I would get that started right away.

a week before yesterday he posted that add/drops would start on 9/9 and today he posted this

"listen up. sorry for telling you guys differently, BUT

because we drafted early i said we were gonna run a waiver process

just in case people get hurt. Since that has come and gone and nobody got hurt in the preseason we are going to freeze add/drops until week 1 results are finalized.

Its the way it should be done. "

He never mentioned on draft day or even posted that if players get hurt during the preseason that he would allow add/drops on 9/9, he just simply said ww begins on 9/9 a week ago and that was it.

I'm not jumping into conclusion just yet, just wanted to see with you guys if he was cheating. I'm still waiting for his reply.

Wrong answer IMO. Lot's of guys got hurt in preseason; Cassel, P Thomas, MJD, Berrian are the first 4 that come to mind right away, that argument doesn't fly.

I would push it with him that he can't make up / interpret the rules as he goes along. The WW either opened on 9/9 or it didn't, you can't change it after the draft. My 8 year old does this when I play games with him, but I doubt your commish is 8 years old.

If he sticks to his guns, then you can either quit now and probably lose your entry fee, or play out the year, hopefully win all of more of your money back and then quit. Either way you quit, it's just a matter or timing. You cannot play in a league where the commish does not enforce the rules but tries to interpret them throughout the year. Whether there is any dishonest intent or not it just doesn't play well.

Wrong answer IMO. Lot's of guys got hurt in preseason; Cassel, P Thomas, MJD, Berrian are the first 4 that come to mind right away, that argument doesn't fly.

I would push it with him that he can't make up / interpret the rules as he goes along. The WW either opened on 9/9 or it didn't, you can't change it after the draft. My 8 year old does this when I play games with him, but I doubt your commish is 8 years old.

If he sticks to his guns, then you can either quit now and probably lose your entry fee, or play out the year, hopefully win all of more of your money back and then quit. Either way you quit, it's just a matter or timing. You cannot play in a league where the commish does not enforce the rules but tries to interpret them throughout the year. Whether there is any dishonest intent or not it just doesn't play well.

AH! Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even realize. That should further prove my point. I will let him know asap.

thanks for all the replies. much appreciated.

Yeah, as my leagues commish, I made sure all my rules were finalized prior to the draft. Even with a vote, rule changes should be made prior to the start of the season and NEVER after. This guy is being shady and you need to get the rest of the league behind you on this. I can't even think of a situation where the WW should not be activated until after week 1. Makes no sense at all, I've already made 3 changes to my team since sunday.

As a commissioner, if I'm going to modify something, I do everything possible to give warning & also to in good faith not give me an advantage.

In one of our leagues, I added a bench position after the draft. However, I gave everyone a couple days warning that I was going to do so, and even though I was 3rd on the waiver wire priority, as a good faith token I bumped myself to 12th, just to let everyone get their claims in ahead of me. I had no complaints from anyone in the league.

Edited by jordanzs