[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Davis RB CLE

Alec

Most experts tend to think he could surpass current RB Jamal Lewis on the depth chart.

He is a pass-catching RB as well, and I am in a PPR league. Do you think it would be wise to drop WR Michael Jenkins for this man, hoping for him to break out, or won't he really amount to much?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Here is my take

FWP was going to be replaced by Mendenhall by Week 4

J.Stewart was going to replace D.Will by Week 3

Chris Johnson was going to replace the old and fat L.White by Week 7

MJD was going to replace F.Taylor after his rookie season

Maroney was going to...well nevermind

None of it happened.

Now...D.Brown is going to replace Addai by mid season, Wells will surpass Hightower by Week 6, and J.Davis will steal J.Lewis job in a few weeks.

Recent experience has proven that rookie or untested runners only become the outright primary touchdown scoring ball carriers when they have no competition or proven incumbents to unseat (Turner, Forte, Slaton, K.Smith).

My prediction is that Brown, Wells, and Davis will all contribute before the year is out (some this week)....but unless the incumbents in front of them drop dead, these rooks are not going to be more than flex backs with upside this year. Just my take.

With that long winded preamble...

Drop Jenkins and pickup Davis unless Jenkins is one of your top 3 WRs. Davis will contribute this year......in fact, he is in one of the few situations where the RB in front of him might just effectively drop dead, leaving him with ALL the carries.

Here is my take

None of it happened.

Now...D.Brown is going to replace Addai by mid season, Wells will surpass Hightower by Week 6, and J.Davis will steal J.Lewis job in a few weeks.

Recent experience has proven that rookie or untested runners only become the outright primary touchdown scoring ball carriers when they have no competition or proven incumbents to unseat (Turner, Forte, Slaton, K.Smith).

My prediction is that Brown, Wells, and Davis will all contribute before the year is out (some this week)....but unless the incumbents in front of them drop dead, these rooks are not going to be more than flex backs with upside this year. Just my take.

Drop Jenkins and pickup Davis unless Jenkins is one of your top 3 WRs. Davis will contribute this year......in fact, he is in one of the few situations where the RB in front of him might just effectively drop dead, leaving him with ALL the carries.

see...a lot of people feel the way you stated in some of those situations, but few felt that way about all...

I felt that FWP and Mendenhall would be a RBBC, but Hightower would take over Edge's spot...

this year, I see Brown splitting with Addai barring injury....and Wells/Hightower sharing...

but Davis?....I see him taking over and maybe even Scott in Cincy getting to share the load with Benson if his pass blocking improves...

see...a lot of people feel the way you stated in some of those situations, but few felt that way about all...

I felt that FWP and Mendenhall would be a RBBC, but Hightower would take over Edge's spot...

this year, I see Brown splitting with Addai barring injury....and Wells/Hightower sharing...

but Davis?....I see him taking over and maybe even Scott in Cincy getting to share the load with Benson if his pass blocking improves...

Avernus...

I am reporting what I was hearing about these players from the "webxperts"...not my personal opinion...to illustrate the issue with placing too much hope in rookie runners becoming outright RB1s or RB2s faced with incumbent competition. Sadly, I was a huge believer in J.Stewart taking over for D.Will last year...tells you what I knew.

Thanks for bringing up Hightower and James...forgot to mention that situation.

By the way...I have stashed both B.Scott and J.Davis... but my expectations are set very, very low. Here's hoping...

Avernus...

I am reporting what I was hearing about these players from the "webxperts"...not my personal opinion...to illustrate the issue with placing too much hope in rookie runners becoming outright RB1s or RB2s faced with incumbent competition. Sadly, I was a huge believer in J.Stewart taking over for D.Will last year...tells you what I knew.

Thanks for bringing up Hightower and James...forgot to mention that situation.

By the way...I have stashed both B.Scott and J.Davis... but my expectations are set very, very low. Here's hoping...

I pretty much assumed that and while it appeared that I was picking at your statement, I was hopefully clarifying it....

because for any one person to think that all of those RB's would take over would be rather bullish on the rookie RB's...but your best bet is to logically pick a scenario where the rookie can come in and either produce at a near-starter level...or completely take over...

the Edge/Hightower situation is the best case scenario...even though Hightower seemed to drop off after afew games as the starter...

some players are better suited for a RBBC...it's just weird like that...

I pretty much assumed that and while it appeared that I was picking at your statement, I was hopefully clarifying it....

because for any one person to think that all of those RB's would take over would be rather bullish on the rookie RB's...but your best bet is to logically pick a scenario where the rookie can come in and either produce at a near-starter level...or completely take over...

the Edge/Hightower situation is the best case scenario...even though Hightower seemed to drop off after afew games as the starter...

some players are better suited for a RBBC...it's just weird like that...

I liken the Davis/Lewis situation to the Edge/Hightower situation. Feels like a best case also.

Here is my take

None of it happened.

I Agree!

Very Nice Post!

Here is my take

None of it happened.

Although I agree with the general sentiment in your post, I think the Lewis/Davis situation is a bit different. First, we're dealing with a 30 year old power back that has allot of tread on his tires. When a power back hit's the wall he really hits it (See Eddie George). A couple of different sources have commented on how slow J-Lew has looked at practice. Second, we're dealing with a totally new coaching regime. They have no ties what so ever to J-Lew. I think that eventually the best player will win out in Cle backfield this year. I think Davis will be that player.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Although I agree with the general sentiment in your post, I think the Lewis/Davis situation is a bit different. First, we're dealing with a 30 year old power back that has allot of tread on his tires. When a power back hit's the wall he really hits it (See Eddie George). A couple of different sources have commented on how slow J-Lew has looked at practice. Second, we're dealing with a totally new coaching regime. They have no ties what so ever to J-Lew. I think that eventually the best player will win out in Cle backfield this year. I think Davis will be that player.

that is sort of like McGahee and Rice in Baltimore....SORT OF....because McGahee still has lots of tread on his tires and is in a contract year...

so I see McGahee making a strong case for being on the field so he can earn a strong payday next year....

not to mention my belief that most players that have hugh contract years probably are on HGH or something to stay healthy (see: Ladell Betts)...I expect McGahee to go all out to try and withstand playing at his best and staying healthy this year...plus he's apparently looked great in camp..

...Rice is just younger and the newer regime's pick to fir the offense which is similar to what Harbaugh has seen in Philly when he was the special teams coach...

Capt Stanky - I could not agree more with your take on Davis/Lewis. That is why I said in my first post...."in fact, he [Davis] is in one of the few situations where the RB in front of him [Lewis] might just effectively drop dead, leaving him with ALL the carries."