[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WOW, what do we know thus far about the season

Boomer Sooner

5 of the preseason top 10 have already lost.

#3 OU loses opening weekend, 14-13 to # 20 BYU

#8 Va Tech loses opening weekend to #5 Alabama

#5 Okie St loses last week at home to unranked Houston

#8 Ohio St loses to #3 SC last week

#3 SC loses this week to unranked Washington.

#7 BYU loses this week at home to unranked FSU

FLA looks very avg without Harvin this year.

Texas struggled last week in Wyoming for 3 qtrs

Penn St doesnt play anyone, so we wont know until they play OSU.

Cal looks pretty good

I think Alabama looks like the best team in the country right now.

Could this year be like the year 2 loss LSU got into the NC game.

Edited by Boomer Sooner

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these teams it was only a matter of time before they lost. Cal looked so so against Minn today. I agree about Florida. I think we'll see the real Gators when they get deeper into the season and play some tougher SEC opponents. I don't really care for Penn St. but 'Bama hasn't done much this season either besides handing out the loss to Va. Tech the first week. I had a lot more faith in OK St and was looking at them to give a pretty strong run at winning the Big 12 until they played......Whouston? Texas is in the same boat, they looked like garbage last week but we'll see in a few minutes how they come out tonite. I'll let you know after week 5 what I think about the preseason's top 10. Just too hard to really judge right now.

Gotta admit, I was thinking the same thing about the top ten and a couple years ago. In fact, I just got on to see if anyone was talking about it.

Now if only USF can keep it going after they get into the top 10 this year. :wacko:

Looks like we will be adding BYU to this list. I thought they were over rated to begin with, but you know you cant say that when they beat your team, or you get accused of sour grapes. I happen to like BYU, but not at the expense of the Sooners like week 1.

Utah - Out of the BCS conversation now

BYU - will be out as well, if this 37-14 score holds up

Oh how I want Boise St if we make a BCS bowl and not the NC game. I think Stoops would put 100 on them if he gets a chance.

My Nittany Lions are not the 5th best team in the nation right now, unfortunately. They've played three garbage teams and though the scores look o.k., this team is not as good as it was last year. The offensive line is awful and will get exposed against better competition. Their defense is tough and they have a great RB & QB, along with solid receivers, but, the O-Line will lose a game or two for them, when all is said and done. It wouldn't shock me at all if Iowa came in and beat them next Saturday night.

My Nittany Lions are not the 5th best team in the nation right now, unfortunately. They've played three garbage teams and though the scores look o.k., this team is not as good as it was last year. The offensive line is awful and will get exposed against better competition. Their defense is tough and they have a great RB & QB, along with solid receivers, but, the O-Line will lose a game or two for them, when all is said and done. It wouldn't shock me at all if Iowa came in and beat them next Saturday night.

Penn St is there by default. Default they havent played anyone yet, and so many others have lost already.

Penn St is there by default. Default they havent played anyone yet, and so many others have lost already.

True, but, as someone who has watched every play, I'm just confirming that I don't think they have what it takes to run the Big 10 table, even though the Big 10 Table is pretty down right now.

True, but, as someone who has watched every play, I'm just confirming that I don't think they have what it takes to run the Big 10 table, even though the Big 10 Table is pretty down right now.

Wow, that's really saying something right there. I mean, seriously, if you think they can't run the table in the Big 10.

I don't think we should make too much about FL "only" beating Tenn by 10 pts. They won the game and it's not like UT is some directional state.

Regardless of how much FL tried to downplay the fact that they wanted to ram it down UT's throat, they're only kids and they likely couldn't entirely escape the reality that the entire free world was counting on and expecting them to deliver a biblical ass-whooping. When UT showed up and actually played, maybe they got a bit tight. Not tight enough, mind you to lose, just tight enough not to deliver what so many, it seems, were hoping for.

At this point, you still have say FL is the team to beat.

Penn State gets a visit from my Hawkeyes in Happy Valley next week. I would suggest that is there first test of the year. Iowa's defense has improved each week thus far, with the defensive line FINALLY showing a pulse against Arizona this week. Penn State will be out for blood after last seasons' game though. The key for Penn State will be to do what they didn't do last year, and that is keep Daryl Clark clean. If Iowa is able to put him down as often as they did in last year's game, I really like Iowa's chances, especially if we get Bulaga back to get our offensive line to full strength for the first time this season. He hasn't been cleared to play though as of this week. But like I said, as we saw with Texas last night vs Tech, this is a vendetta game for Penn State. I can't wait! Great way to kick off Big Ten conference play, for both teams.

Penn State gets a visit from my Hawkeyes in Happy Valley next week. I would suggest that is there first test of the year. Iowa's defense has improved each week thus far, with the defensive line FINALLY showing a pulse against Arizona this week. Penn State will be out for blood after last seasons' game though. The key for Penn State will be to do what they didn't do last year, and that is keep Daryl Clark clean. If Iowa is able to put him down as often as they did in last year's game, I really like Iowa's chances, especially if we get Bulaga back to get our offensive line to full strength for the first time this season. He hasn't been cleared to play though as of this week. But like I said, as we saw with Texas last night vs Tech, this is a vendetta game for Penn State. I can't wait! Great way to kick off Big Ten conference play, for both teams.

Iowa will get to Clark, no doubt about that. Penn State couldn't keep Temple off of Clark.

Should be a great one, 16 points might be enough to win this game. Special teams and turnovers could determine who gets the upper hand.

1- Tex

2- Penn St

3- Cal

4- Florida

5- OU

6- TCU

7- USC

Here is my preseason rank of how I thought the year would end. This factors PSU beats OSU and IOWA, CAL beats SC, FL stumbles somewhere (Baton Rouge). What I know so far...I might have dropped OU and SC out ofthe top 7, seeing as they should both get beat one more time.

I don't think we should make too much about FL "only" beating Tenn by 10 pts. They won the game and it's not like UT is some directional state.

Regardless of how much FL tried to downplay the fact that they wanted to ram it down UT's throat, they're only kids and they likely couldn't entirely escape the reality that the entire free world was counting on and expecting them to deliver a biblical ass-whooping. When UT showed up and actually played, maybe they got a bit tight. Not tight enough, mind you to lose, just tight enough not to deliver what so many, it seems, were hoping for.

At this point, you still have say FL is the team to beat.

In addition to the above, you also can't overlook the fact that in the 4th qtr the Gators turned the ball over inside the Vols 10. Florida was dominating at that point and were about to go up 30-6. It is frequently pointed out in here, as well, how difficult it can be to judge teams by conference/rivalry games. Tennessee is not a great team but not a bad one either(particularly on D) and this was by far the most important game on their schedule. Even in losing to UCLA last week, probably looking ahead, they held the Bruins to something like 185 yds of total offense. Tennessee played as well as they probably could have considering the competition and still never really had a shot at beating Florida.

What I have learned thus far this season. It's early but...

1.) Just maybe LSU is worthy of a top 10 ranking considering Washington beat USC.

2.) Oklahoma might be worse than we thought after what happen to BYU at home

3.) Miami looks abit like the Miami of old which should have Coach Stoopid worried.

4.) Cincy should be ranked higher considering their two dominating road wins.

5.) Coach Paterno might say he doesn't care about beating out Bowden, but his OCC schedule says differently Akron, Temple and Syracuse.

1.) Just maybe LSU is worthy of a top 10 ranking considering Washington beat USC.

3.) Miami looks abit like the Miami of old which should have Coach Stoopid worried.

5.) Coach Paterno might say he doesn't care about beating out Bowden, but his OCC schedule says differently Akron, Temple and Syracuse.

JoePa has always scheduled patsies in the OOC portion of our program. It has nothing to do with his total number of victories, it has to do with buiilding confidence for his team. Patsies or not, a win is a win and it helps build the psyche of these kids, especially the freshmen and sophomores.

That being said, I honestly don't think anyone knows what kind of team Penn State has this year, least of all JoePa. They haven't looked at all dominant in their victories, they're just taking care of the things they should, nothing more. We'll find out more this week when Iowa comes to town. Their #5 ranking right now is courtesy of being ranked so highly to begin with (re: our conversation on the pre-season polls), if they had been ranked 15th to begin with they'd have only moved up to 10th or so by now. However because of this, should they win out they will play for the NC, regardless of what people think of the Big Ten.

solid W for Iowa in what was a painful game to watch for UA peeps....... Matt Scott may be the worst starting QB in the country - he was beyond horrible

- the play calling when Grigsby went out at the 1 was horrible - punch the frigging ball in to the endzone - 6 there would have been hugh.

UA's D is legit, however they need to get Foles in there bc they are not going to beat anyone with that piss poor QB play.

To top it off Gronkowski, one of the best TE in the country is out for the year - good times

Couple of quick points

What does LSU have to do with Washington. Washington beat a hapless offense this past Saturday. Does this mean Washington is better than Ohio St as well. My guess if Barkley plays Washington doesnt get the W.

I think we will find out about LSU soon enough, and you maybe disappointed with the results.

OU loss had more to do with shakey OL play and the loss of QB, than BYU

Miami looks real good, I doubt anyone would relish the opportunity to play them right now

Cincy should be ranked higher

Why again are Paterno and Bowden still coaching? Both schools are hostage to these 2. I dont see this as good for their program having some iconic figure at the top, but has little to do with the X's and O's at this point. Wouldnt it be better to have a coach like Saban or Meyer who is completely in control. You think the assistant coachs dont tell the players not to worry about what the old man says, he doesnt have a clue anymore.

Edited by PoPo

Couple of quick points

What does LSU have to do with Washington.

Um, 'cause when LSU had trouble with them, it was viewed as LSU having trouble with a team that sucked last year. Now it's LSU having trouble with a team that just knocked off USC and, I believe, is now in the top 25. I would say that's a pretty big difference. Sure, maybe USC beats them with their starting QB, but it's still USC. Washington is obviously, at very least, a good team and one that you shouldn't feel bad about not being able to name your score on.

Couple of quick points

What does LSU have to do with Washington. Washington beat a hapless offense this past Saturday. Does this mean Washington is better than Ohio St as well. My guess if Barkley plays Washington doesnt get the W.

I think we will find out about LSU soon enough, and you maybe disappointed with the results.

You do know LSU did beat Washington, right?

Down in Baton Rouge LSU fans were anxiously awaiting to see how Washington played against USC to get a better gauge on whether or not their LSU team played a quality opponent or simply beat an 0-12 ballclub. Washington winning the game was simply icing on the cake. Most fans around here thought LSU looked like crap against Washington and were saying USC would have beaten Washington by 3 or 4 td's that night which obviously turned out wrong.

As far as the rest of the season goes for LSU, I'm less likely to be as disappointed as you would think if LSU stumbles a couple of times. I'm a fan, but also a realistic one that understands there is a good chance the Tigers will be a td underdog in at least 4 games this season. :wacko:

Im fully aware LSU had trouble with Washington. My point is SC looked like crap Saturday and had no QB play. 0-10 on 3rd downs is unthinkable by any team. Plus Washington knew SC better than anyone else, with their former OC and DC at Washington now.

You maybe doing the same thing after week 3, you did after week 1. Overreacting. First its uh, oh we struggled with them, now its Ah Hah, we struggled with THEM

SC isnt near as good as we thought, and Washington is better. But again, I do not see that makes LSU any better or worse as a result.