[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bad week to start Andre Johnson

The Irish Doggy

Okay, I don't think that's a very good comparison. Balt hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 39 games. Cin has shutdown th #1 WR on teams for the last 4 weeks. No one is saying you should bench AJ, just temper your expectations.

I can't temper my expectations. My lineup needs him to have a big day, so I'm throwing the hex on the Cincy secondary as of right now. :wacko:

I would certainly agree that it'd be awfully hard to think you're gonna shut out AJ.

I also think that while Hall has done very well this year (often in man coverage, where you DO get beat on occasion, it's part of the deal when you play man), I beleve he couldn't cover AJ all day by himself. AJ is too tough. So they use a safety and double him up.

But Cincy has shown so far that they are gonna plan to take away the opponent's best player, and have been successful at it, as earlier posts indicate. Just like teams figured out ways to take CJ (mostly) out of games, the Bengals will (at least try to) find a way to take out AJ.

That leaves Slaton/Brown (who have been lousy this year) or Walter/Daniels as the guys who have to beat you. I like the chances.

I love these types of threads with all different types of insight.

I have Andre in a must win scenario in one of my leagues, hes my number one WR...obviously. I'm the number two sitting at 4-1 and i'm playing the number one guy who is also sitting at 4-1. This game could very well determine who gets a higher seed in the playoffs.

I'm without a doubt starting Andre. The Bengal's defense, have they done a pretty solid jobs of shutting down receivers, yes they have in fact. This is Andre Johnson. It is possible to Debate that he is the best WR in Football right now. He forces plays like his TD this week. If there is someone who can produce numbers even on a tough DEF it is Andre. Let's face it, there is no Revis, Rodgers-Chromartie, Jammer type CB covering him this week. I'm starting him with confidence.

I'm without a doubt starting Andre. The Bengal's defense, have they done a pretty solid jobs of shutting down receivers, yes they have in fact. This is Andre Johnson. It is possible to Debate that he is the best WR in Football right now. He forces plays like his TD this week. If there is someone who can produce numbers even on a tough DEF it is Andre. Let's face it, there is no Revis, Rodgers-Chromartie, Jammer type CB covering him this week. I'm starting him with confidence.

nobody is saying bench the guy.

I've been watching a lot of Bengals football this year (what can I say the games are close), and Leon Hall is the real deal. But he is getting safety help as well. Having said that, Flacco missed a homerun shot which would have decided the game and Rodgers had no time to throw downfield in that game (Rodgers did give Hall credit in postgame interviews though). You know Schaub is going to have to throw 35+ times in this game. there's no way AJ can be held down that long. Like others said, the Bengals have not faced an AJ-caliber recever this year, and frankly there's only 2 or 3 in the league in his class. AJ went 11-143 against CIN last year. Still worried?

I'd say this is all pretty valid. AJ is clearly an elite WR. However, I wouldn't be very confident in last year's game as a good marker for this one. Last year's team at that time had no Carson, no running game, no pass rush, and no hope. A couple more points:

1) In comparing last year and this year, we have other examples. Consider the results of these three receivers in six games last year:

. Holmes was the Bengal receiving killer last year, so from that perspective, he is the #1. He had games of 84 and 89 yards.

. Mason had games of 44 and 91 / 1 TD.

. Edwards was 22 / 1 TD and 31 (Ken Dorsey was the QB in game 2 fyi).

From a non-PPR persective, that's a mediocre 8 points per game average. The average over 3 games by those same three receivers is 0.6 points this year.

2) Others in this thread have suggested that some of these receivers are having down years or are otherwise not so good. When you lay a goose egg against one opponent, it will make the year total stats look poor through 5 weeks in comparison to other WRs. So, let's look at the just the results in non-Bengal weeks this year:

. Marshall has 281 yards, 4 TD over 4 games.

. Jennings has 240 yards, 1 TD in 3 games.

. Holmes has 323 yards, 1 TD in 4 games.

. Edwards has 203 yards, 1 TD in 4 games.

. Mason has 284 and 2 TD in 4 games.

Combined in non-ppr scoring, they are about 9.8 points per game against non-Bengal opponents and 0.9 points per game vs. the Bengals.

Everyone make their own conclusion. I don't have AJ or Walter to start or bench. I'm just sayin' the dramatic difference in results so far doesn't look good to me. That said, Aj will probably break every single game receiving record in the books on Sunday. :wacko: Have a nice day.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

. Marshall has 281 yards, 4 TD over 4 games.

. Jennings has 240 yards, 1 TD in 3 games.

. Holmes has 323 yards, 1 TD in 4 games.

. Edwards has 203 yards, 1 TD in 4 games.

. Mason has 284 and 2 TD in 4 games.

These stats look nice and shiny on their face but come on - you're leaving out some very material facts here:

Marshall - he was still playing limited snaps in week 2 and they simply weren't throwing to him. Completely different from the BM of last year and right now

Holmes - the guy has been thoroughly mediocre this year altogether. He's had 1 great game out of 5 - the rest have been forgettable or just bad. Wrist injury?

Edwards - the guy was a joke in Cleveland this year. 3 horrible games and one solid one . . . need I say more?

Mason - completely different kind of receiver than AJ. Suffice it to say, it's a lot easier to shut down a guy like Mason.

nice little stat dig, but kind of a waste of time, this is AJ we are talking about - the most talented WR in the L

not to mention Hou chucks it around pretty well

AJ gets 100+ and a TD here

:wacko: Good info here.

Leon Hall has been lights out spectacular in coverage so far this year. That's not to say that he is doing it alone because my understanding is that they give him plenty of help in scheming to take away the #1 WR of each opponent... but this trend is more than just a little impressive.

:wacko: 1st play 59 yards

I know right. AJ had 2 big catches in Oakland too, but then we saw nothing else because they either didn't need him or the defense adjusted. I have a feeling they will need him in this game, and Cinci hasn't had to adjust this season to AJ's caliber. However, Kevin Walter could get more looks if they try to clamp down on AJ. If Walter does well, AJ is still doing his job, pulling the focus towards him.

In one league I have Kevin Walter and AJ, but there was no way I could sit AJ for Kevin Walter. I would only sit AJ for another superstar with a better match up. II project a good day for AJ, but not runaway numbers.