[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This week's version of what's wrong with the BCS...

BS Miscreant

Again, forgive me for not just taking your word for it that USC would leap-frog 5 teams ranked ahead of them, despite 2 losses, into the top spot considering that you've made verified inaccurate statements about things that actually happened in this thread alone.

If anything, in the pre-BCS era there's a precedentfor crowning an undefeated school from a smaller conference champ a la BYU in '84. Thus, Boise St would have as much say in it as anyone.

How is it any different than me taking your word that LSU and Florida would have won their bowl games since they would no doubt been playing different opponents other than Ohio State and Notre Dame. :wacko:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The discussion isn't about the playoffs it's whether the BCS is a complete failure. Think if you polled most SEC fans (with the possible exception of Bama fans) and most other conferences they would prefer the BCS over the old traditional system while Pac10 and Big 10 fans wouldn't.

If you look back on this thread this is what I said and what I am discussing. Not the playoffs.

What are you talking about? Half the posts in this thread have been about a playoff system!

The BCS HAS been a complete failure in all but 1 or 2 years (really only one Texas vs USC). I don't think it is any better or worse than the old system in the slightest. I said before, and I will say again, ANY system that will allow an undefeated team to be held out of it's "championship game" in favor of a 1 loss team is completely and utterly broken. What's the use debating if it is better or worse than a previous system, when it in itself is still broken? That's like saying a car with 3 tires is better than a car with only 2. You still can't drive either one to pick up beer...

How is it any different than me taking your word that LSU and Florida would have won their bowl games since they would no doubt been playing different opponents other than Ohio State and Notre Dame. :wacko:

Oh, so now we're pretending that, not only does USC beat OSU in the Rose Bowl, but FL, Michigan, and LSU all lose their bowl games and the voters also choose to disregard a 12-0 BSU team in favor of a two loss USC team. Or does BSU lose as well? Just checking.

Oh, so now we're pretending that, not only does USC beat OSU in the Rose Bowl, but FL, Michigan, and LSU all lose their bowl games and the voters also choose to disregard a 12-0 BSU team in favor of a two loss USC team. Or does BSU lose as well? Just checking.

Little Boise State was not going to win any national championship that year. :wacko:

For sure if the old system was in place Boise doesn't even play Oklahoma.

Not going to lie. The BCS in conjunction with the SEC Championship has been good to teams like LSU and Florida. What these two games have done is made the media some what accountable. No longer can they just overlook a SEC Champion not named Alabama.

Little Boise State was not going to win any national championship that year. :wacko:

For sure if the old system was in place Boise doesn't even play Oklahoma.

Not going to lie. The BCS in conjunction with the SEC Championship has been good to teams like LSU and Florida. What these two games have done is made the media some what accountable. No longer can they just overlook a SEC Champion not named Alabama.

They wouldn't have to. Again, there's a precedent. BYU goes 12-0 barely beating a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl and they get the nod over a one loss UW team that beat Oklahoma by 11 pts in the Orange Bowl.

Mind you, I'm not the one who started this make-believe what would happen if there was no BCS and this team and that team lost train. Just pointing out yet another gaping hole in one of your arguments.

What are you talking about? Half the posts in this thread have been about a playoff system!

The BCS HAS been a complete failure in all but 1 or 2 years (really only one Texas vs USC). I don't think it is any better or worse than the old system in the slightest. I said before, and I will say again, ANY system that will allow an undefeated team to be held out of it's "championship game" in favor of a 1 loss team is completely and utterly broken. What's the use debating if it is better or worse than a previous system, when it in itself is still broken? That's like saying a car with 3 tires is better than a car with only 2. You still can't drive either one to pick up beer...

Those post weren't from me. I did however bring up the NY Giants vs. NE Patriots which I still say shows the flaws of the playoff system.

When a team like the Giants can't even win their own division why do we think they deserve the right to win a NFL Championship? That basically what the BCS told Georgia Bulldogs a couple of years ago.

They wouldn't have to. Again, there's a precedent. BYU goes 12-0 barely beating a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl and they get the nod over a one loss UW team that beat Oklahoma by 11 pts in the Orange Bowl.

Mind you, I'm not the one who started this make-believe what would happen if there was no BCS and this team and that team lost train. Just pointing out yet another gaping hole in one of your arguments.

My guess is that 1984 is part of the reason why we have the BCS today. :wacko:

Take a look at this tough schedule:

BYU's 1984 week-by-week rankings

Date Opponent Pre* Result Post*

Sept. 1 at No. Pitt -- 20-14 13

Sept. 8 Baylor 13 47-13 8

Sept. 15 Tulsa 8 38-15 6

Sept. 22 at Hawaii 6 18-13 8

Oct. 6 at Colorado State 7 52-9 5

Oct. 13 Wyoming 5 41-38 7

Oct. 20 at Air Force 7 30-25 5

Oct. 25 at New Mexico 5 48-0 4

Nov. 3 UTEP 4 42-9 4

Nov. 10 San Diego State 4 34-3 3

Nov. 17 at Utah 3 24-14 1

Nov. 24 Utah State 1 38-13 1

Dec. 21 Michigan 1 24-17 1

Those post weren't from me. I did however bring up the NY Giants vs. NE Patriots which I still say shows the flaws of the playoff system.

When a team like the Giants can't even win their own division why do we think they deserve the right to win a NFL Championship? That basically what the BCS told Georgia Bulldogs a couple of years ago.

What did they tell undefeated Auburn?

OK, so let me ask you straight up then. Do you think a playoff is better than the current BCS system? Not is it better than what we used to have. Straight up, is a playoff better than the current BCS setup?

What did they tell undefeated Auburn?

OK, so let me ask you straight up then. Do you think a playoff is better than the current BCS system? Not is it better than what we used to have. Straight up, is a playoff better than the current BCS setup?

Yes, however I prefer a plus one game format. Just not willing to ditch the season and make it for seeding purposes only. Sorry if that affects the Boise State's of the world.

As far as Auburn goes they must have told them to change their name to Alabama. :wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

why the F*ck are you yet again, trying to compare two entirely different systems!!!!!!!!! do you not see the difference between a playoff and the BCS??

honestly, I can't even read your shtick anymore - it is garbage and you make Private Ryan look level headed

Yes, however I prefer a plus one game format. Just not willing to ditch the season and make it for seeding purposes only. Sorry if that affects the Boise State's of the world.

yet another hole in yer theory. Do you honestly think the regular season would be unimportant with a playoff in place? not a chance - every team in America, is aiming for a conference title, chit all you hear is coaches spew - our #1 goal is to win our conference.

Do NFL teams in the playoff hunt not step up and play their asses off thru 16 games??. It would make the regular season no less important, just give teams a chance to rebound from an off-game, injuries, youth, improvement, a bad call here or there and right the ship for the home stretch.

also, as happens in alot of bowl games, and I think somewhat in the Boise/Bama game - teams Bama are bummed they missed out on the big game and mail it in, while teams like Boise are jacked to be there, we have seen it time and time again.

yet another hole in yer theory. Do you honestly think the regular season would be unimportant with a playoff in place? not a chance - every team in America, is aiming for a conference title, chit all you hear is coaches spew - our #1 goal is to win our conference.

Do NFL teams in the playoff hunt not step up and play their asses off thru 16 games??. It would make the regular season no less important, just give teams a chance to rebound from an off-game, injuries, youth, improvement, a bad call here or there and right the ship for the home stretch.

also, as happens in alot of bowl games, and I think somewhat in the Boise/Bama game - teams Bama are bummed they missed out on the big game and mail it in, while teams like Boise are jacked to be there, we have seen it time and time again.

That is yet another great point. Rather than have 6 of the 8 best teams in the country go through the motions, pissed that they didn't get a shot at the top prize, you could put them into a small tourney where they let it all hang out.

What a novel idea.

As a longtime Saints fan I could care less how many divisional titles New Orleans has won. Do you really give a chit how many your Cardinals have won?

As a longtime Saints fan I could care less how many divisional titles New Orleans has won. Do you really give a chit how many your Cardinals have won?

I know yer from the south, but re-read it s l o w l y please.

I never mentioned NFL division titles did I? but for the sake of argument, as a Seattle Seahawk fan, yer damn right I care- just for the simple fact of having a goal to shoot for -but yes I take pride in winning a division title. The old AFC west titles were hugh for Hawk fans and a great accomplishment. Coaches always point to division games being their biggest and toughest. I think many NFL fans do, but back to my point.............

in COLLEGE football, conference titles are HUGH - even you can admit that. Another bonus to a playoff is that teams like FLA, Mich, PSU, the Big 12, etc can actually set up interesting and challenging non conference games bc they can still drop a game, improve and shoot for their goal of A) winning their conference and :wacko: getting into the playoffs - there is no downside IMO.

Edited by wildcat2334

When a team like the Giants can't even win their own division why do we think they deserve the right to win a NFL Championship?

Rocker. Please read these two statements very carefully. Then, please do tell us that they are not contradictory, in basic theory?

Dude, you are way... wayyyy off your "rocker". Really.

That is yet another great point. Rather than have 6 of the 8 best teams in the country go through the motions, pissed that they didn't get a shot at the top prize, you could put them into a small tourney where they let it all hang out.

What a novel idea.

yeah, it boggles the mind - I love march madness more than probably any other sporting event and the NCAA is sitting on a BIGGER event. I think it potentially could be a much bigger deal than march madness- which is saying alot.

I can only imagine how freaking cool a playoff would be - off the charts with the quality matchups

Rocker. Please read these two statements very carefully. Then, please do tell us that they are not contradictory, in basic theory?

Dude, you are way... wayyyy off your "rocker". Really.

And since I already know the answer to the question I posed, I'll just post it here. But I'll spoiler it out just in case you don't want to peek and want to come up with your own masterminded response.

The answer is... how do you know Boise State couldn't have stayed hot and won a few more games in a playoff format? How do you know, man? Really?!?! The NY Giants example is a PERFECT example of how a playoff system DOES work. You let the best teams into a playoff format, and the hottest team at the end of the year, when it matters most, win its way to a championship. The BCS is all about money. You know that, we all know that. Any system based on this factor is by and large out of whack.

:wacko:

yeah, it boggles the mind - I love march madness more than probably any other sporting event and the NCAA is sitting on a BIGGER event. I think it potentially could be a much bigger deal than march madness- which is saying alot.

I can only imagine how freaking cool a playoff would be - off the charts with the quality matchups

Which is why I don't buy the "it's all about the money" argument. Are you telling me you couldn't make a freaking mint doing this? I can remember where I was for last year's Sugar Bowl. I was at a cocktail party with it playing in the corner somewhere. Every now and then, I'd wander over and check it out. Then I'd go back to the party. You know why? Because I didn't give a rat's ass about the game. Now, if that's part of a double header, a la AFC/NFC Championship Sunday? Dude, I'm watching every freaking second.

I know yer from the south, but re-read it s l o w l y please.

I never mentioned NFL division titles did I? but for the sake of argument, as a Seattle Seahawk fan, yer damn right I care- just for the simple fact of having a goal to shoot for -but yes I take pride in winning a division title. The old AFC west titles were hugh for Hawk fans and a great accomplishment. Coaches always point to division games being their biggest and toughest. I think many NFL fans do, but back to my point.............

in COLLEGE football, conference titles are HUGH - even you can admit that. Another bonus to a playoff is that teams like FLA, Mich, PSU, the Big 12, etc can actually set up interesting and challenging non conference games bc they can still drop a game, improve and shoot for their goal of A) winning their conference and :wacko: getting into the playoffs - there is no downside IMO.

You mentioned conference titles and to me the NFL divisional titles equate to conference championships in college. Why do you say the "OLD" AFC West titles hugh for you? Has something changed?

You mentioned conference titles and to me the NFL divisional titles equate to conference championships in college. Why do you say the "OLD" AFC West titles hugh for you? Has something changed?

yeah, as a kid the AFC West rocked - Seattle, San Diego, Oakland and KC - fierce rivalries, all of them, I can admit the NFC West sucks, more to with realignment and it being new.....Seattle lost in that whole deal-

but moving on, I disagree, NCAA conference titles don't equal NFL division titles.

yeah, as a kid the AFC West rocked - Seattle, San Diego, Oakland and KC - fierce rivalries, all of them, I can admit the NFC West sucks, more to with realignment and it being new.....Seattle lost in that whole deal-

but moving on, I disagree, NCAA conference titles don't equal NFL division titles.

That's because there is no playoff. Let me tell you from personal experience as a SEC fan as well as a LSU fan what happens when there is a bail out ot sorts. As big of a game as LSU vs. Florida should have been I posted on here how it was bascially meaningless. The reason why is because the loser really lost nothing as long as they took care of business from that day forward. Even Florida fans were questioning whether Tebow should play for that very same reason. Why risk him in a meaningless SEC game where the loser could still control their own destiny.

That's because there is no playoff. Let me tell you from personal experience as a SEC fan as well as a LSU fan what happens when there is a bail out ot sorts. As big of a game as LSU vs. Florida should have been I posted on here how it was bascially meaningless. The reason why is because the loser really lost nothing as long as they took care of business from that day forward. Even Florida fans were questioning whether Tebow should play for that very same reason. Why risk him in a meaningless SEC game where the loser could still control their own destiny.

yet again, I could not disagree more - Meaningless?? whatever dude- I watched most of that game it was FAR from meaningless. Timmy himself did whatever it took to play in that game.

But big ole smart-guy Rocker knew better than us all- it was a meaningless game. yer absolutely clueless and don't get it at all

I kind of think you aren't even a real college football fan........

And the only reason why the SEC CG is set up to be a playoff game, is because the system set it up that way, before the season. Florida and Alabama were both ranked really high, to there credit, haven't lost, and therefore IF they slip up, they wont have to climb very high up. Again, you see this as a GREAT thing, I see it as unfair.

Brian, you always say preseason rankings are not fair because it's pre-judging teams. Well here is a bet I'm willing to make. I'll take the top 8 NFL preseason favorites and give you the field. Why would I do something so crazy? Because it's not that difficult. :D

I'll take this year's NFL preseason favorites

1. Steelers

2. Colts

3. Patriots

4. Chargers

5. Vikings

6. Saints

7.. Eagles

8. Cardinals

You can have the rest of the field. :wacko: