[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ohhh Dukies...

detlef

Nice! Does that get you a seat behind the bench?

I wish. We did get ACC tournament tickets for a long time though. I got to go the tournament every year from the age of 10 until I was about 22. It was quite a run. Saw lots of great basketball.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Duke looked really good today. I hope the Zags are for real & not a fake win.

UNC on the other hand lost again. I know you have a tough schedule but beat a good team will ya?

Duke looked great and, whether or not the Zags are "for real" they're real enough that it should count for something. Mind you, they were missing their leading scorer but that was a pasting, plain and simple. Sheyer looks like he's ready to put these guys on his back and carry them pretty far. However, they're going to have to pull some Jedi mind tricks if they're going to beat a Texas, Kentucky, or the like.

Heels have some growing up to do. Perhaps it was a bit ambitious thinking they wouldn't miss much of a beat after losing 3 1st rounders and Green from last year's NC team. That said, I do think MSU and OSU count as "beating a good team". Curious to see if this team can grow up fast enough to be a factor come March.

I'll give UNC those 2 wins. I forgot about MSU & I'm not sure if I'm sold on OSU yet but it counts.

Scheyer & Singler are both as advertised. For Duke to have a real shot this year Smith has to keep it up & a big man needs to step up. Hopefully a healthy Mason Plumlee can be that guy.

I will note that right now Scheyer's assist/to ratio is awesome.

Detlef's right that the Heels have some serious maturing to do, but this is a rebuilding year. In such years, I'm more concerned with doing well in the conference and advancing a couiple of rounds in the tourney than winning early out of conference games. Hopefully these losses will help the heels get better doewn the road.

Having said that, keep in mind, UNC lost to Kentucky at Kentucky, Texas in Texas Stadium, and Syracuse in NEw York.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I'm glad to go ahead and get that first loss out of the way, because I think it's particularly clear that UNC is not a top 10 team at present. .

Are you glad to get that 4th loss out of the way before you start ACC play?

Still looking for that "grasping at straws" icon.

Are you glad to get that 4th loss out of the way before you start ACC play?

Still looking for that "grasping at straws" icon.

Hey Dookie, go win a national title or 2 and then come talk to me. :wacko:

The Heels were without 2 starters last night, but that really shouldn;t have mattered against College of Charleston. Truth be told, this is not a top 25 team right now, let alone a top 10 team. Frankly, the way they are playing right now, this team will be fortunate to go 8-8 in the ACC this year. I have yet to see that this team has much heart, and IMO, that starts with senior Deon Thompson. Marcus Ginyard has heart, but in order to be a team leader, you have to be able to put 2 points on the board when your team needs you, and Marcus unfortunately, has no offensive talent to speak of. Most of our offensive talent is in the lane, but we don;t have anybody who can deliver the ball to the big guys. Dook will eat us up in this regard, as one of the things they do best defensively is deny the entry pass. Ed Davis is having some serious trouble finishing around the rim. Tyler Zeller is just as likely to throw up a brick (and I mean a brick) as a shot that has a real chance to go in. Larry Drew hasn;t shown me any development in the last 3-4 games.

The worst part of it all is that this team continues to make stupid mistakes and they make the same stupid mistake over and over and over again. I thought this team's strength would be its defense, but that has clearly not been the case. The Heels had a 9 point lead with about 3 minutes to play last night, and completely blew it. The let C of C hit 3 after 3, and had another one of their now regular scoring droughts and that was the game.

This team is going to be a work in progress until the very end. I just hope enough will come together enough to scrape together a respectable season.

The Heels were without 2 starters last night, but that really shouldn;t have mattered against College of Charleston. Truth be told, this is not a top 25 team right now, let alone a top 10 team. Frankly, the way they are playing right now, this team will be fortunate to go 8-8 in the ACC this year. I have yet to see that this team has much heart, and IMO, that starts with senior Deon Thompson. Marcus Ginyard has heart, but in order to be a team leader, you have to be able to put 2 points on the board when your team needs you, and Marcus unfortunately, has no offensive talent to speak of. Most of our offensive talent is in the lane, but we don;t have anybody who can deliver the ball to the big guys. Dook will eat us up in this regard, as one of the things they do best defensively is deny the entry pass. Ed Davis is having some serious trouble finishing around the rim. Tyler Zeller is just as likely to throw up a brick (and I mean a brick) as a shot that has a real chance to go in. Larry Drew hasn;t shown me any development in the last 3-4 games.

The worst part of it all is that this team continues to make stupid mistakes and they make the same stupid mistake over and over and over again. I thought this team's strength would be its defense, but that has clearly not been the case. The Heels had a 9 point lead with about 3 minutes to play last night, and completely blew it. The let C of C hit 3 after 3, and had another one of their now regular scoring droughts and that was the game.

This team is going to be a work in progress until the very end. I just hope enough will come together enough to scrape together a respectable season.

+1 to all of this.

Jack? Is it grabbing at straws to remind you that the pressure is not on UNC to be great this year considering that they've won 2 NCs in 5 years and just lost 4 starters to the draft, but rather on Duke who has done precious little in the last several years to live up to it's National reputation? UNC is not the one trying to reinvent it's image. UNC is not the one who really needs to make a splash. They've got hardware to point to and a stable of young talent that just needs a bit of time to come together and more on the way. Duke, on the other hand, can ill afford another few years of simply being "solid".

Trust me, it's hard to argue that the early returns favor Duke in terms to which of these teams is going to be better this year. However, the college b-ball world does not end with Duke and UNC and I'm not sure if I see enough in Duke to think they're going to fare much better this year against the types of teams that have been their undoing of late. We'll see. Sheyer looks a lot better than I thought he would, I'll give you that.

Well, turns out that, not only did they lose out on the #1 overall recruit, a guy that everyone agreed they were the prohibitive favorite to land, but he's going to UNC! Who, btw, also signed a PG rated top 5 over all as well.

That'll leave a mark.

Awesome. We really need a better point guard than what we have now. Losing to College of Charleston. Ouch. This young team hasn't gotten better yet, but I'm hoping that all the experience playing highly ranked teams like Texas and Kentucky will benefit them in the long run.

Awesome. We really need a better point guard than what we have now. Losing to College of Charleston. Ouch. This young team hasn't gotten better yet, but I'm hoping that all the experience playing highly ranked teams like Texas and Kentucky will benefit them in the long run.

We already have a better PG than we have now. He's just not better yet. I see the Drew/Strickland thing playing out somewhat like QT/Lawson. Mind you, I'm not saying Strickland will be as good as Lawson, but I can hope and he looks promising. Like QT, Drew came in amid huge hype and really struggled for most of his early years. This was only made worse by the fact that Lawson came in after him and was obviously quicker and more talented. However, by the end of his 4 years, QT earned back the love of the fans by salvaging his career with solid back-up play.

By next year, I see this being Strickland's team to run and maybe Drew responds better to not having to worry about being the man. Of course, that's next year. I'm not giving up hope that these guys can pick up enough on the fly to make some noise in March. You see it in all these guys in fits and starts, they just need to put it together. Ultimately, one of these young kids needs to get cocky and start taking over because Thompson ain't gonna do it.

Just in case you forgot '91, '92 and '01. That would be 3 so I will keep talking along with 11 other final 4 appearances.

I will concede 5 national championship and 12 other final 4 appearances to the Tarheels.

Don't climb too high on that horse as it could be a long fall as early as this year.

Just in case you forgot '91, '92 and '01. That would be 3 so I will keep talking along with 11 other final 4 appearances.

I will concede 5 national championship and 12 other final 4 appearances to the Tarheels.

Don't climb too high on that horse as it could be a long fall as early as this year.

That doesn't change the fact that Duke is a good piece removed from the last time they were actually as good as everyone always assumes they are. That it's going to take more than simply sweeping or finishing ahead of UNC in the ACC or outlasting them in the big dance for you guys to truly be able to claim "scoreboard". Sort of like the last time that they failed to do so when UNC had an ever bigger exodus and Duke had two pre-season All-Americans and a much heralded class coming in, this should be Duke's year relative to UNC. And if they can't make it stick this year, it could be another long stretch. You guys have a top-notch PG coming in but you have a top-notch PG right now who's actually a senior.

Regardless, this thread is not and shouldn't be about UNC. UNC is playing with the house's money. They've just won 2 titles in a short period of time and have a cupboard filled with young talent. Anything they do this year is gravy. They got ranked as highly as they did because everyone thought that Henson would be an instant star. That appears to be a bit premature. Oh well.

This is about Duke and whether or not they'll be able to reascend to their expected place on the National stage. I'm still thinking that it's not going to happen. I doubt they have the horses to pull it off this year and I don't expect them to be any better next.

Ya, I was about to post last night but then Duke got crushed.

How many losses before UNC enters bubble territory? I'm not busting chops here I'm really curious.

if not now, they will be firmly on the bubble - these L are at home, still alot of tough road games ahead. ESPN hoops analyst forecasted them at 50/50 to make the tourney as of now.

like Det Said, a bit of a re-tooling year, I haven't watched a ton of UNC this year, but their backcourt looks brutal- looks like Drew a bust to me

as for Dook- they are getting exposed as well, I don't see them making any kind of run in the tourney either

GT is playing well, but ACC seems to be down some this year